Night Map Blindness

9 replies to this topic

#1 Fien

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:43 PM

What's the best solution to be able to see on night maps? Thermal and NV don't work past a few hundred meters (and I get why, I remember the Gausspult Scurge) but the fact remains I can't see a damn thing on night maps. I have night blindness IRL and on these maps I can barely even maneuver. I understand the entire point is to be dark, but even with a lock and a marker over a mech's head at 500 meters of open terrain I often can't make out anything more than the vague shape or movement, much less hit the damn thing. And if I get hit by a PPC or swept by a laser? Flashblinded for a good couple second and completely disoriented.

It's to the point where I pretty much have no choice but to suicide scout or try to cap if applicable on any night map that's even SLIGHTLY long ranged, I simply can't see well enough to fire with anything other than LRMs. I'm an active handicap to my team from the very choice of the map, and that's not fair to them.

Do I just have to crank my gamma up and down as I'm playing?

#2 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:06 AM

You're not alone. I do have vision issues though, so yes on dark and foggy maps, I'm a damn mess. Buildings and trees just jump out in front of me.

I find that both HV and NV have their uses and time when to be used. Don't tweak the gamma too much, that's just going to wash out other maps. Use NV to maneuver. It provides the contrast (which I struggle with) needed to see that tree you've been walking into. No easy solution for long range engagements. Those you just have to sit and watch for where the fire is coming from. Once in close HV, despite my own issues with contrast, seems to work better then NV. Also surprisingly try HV on hot maps like Caustic. The white outline of a hot mech stands out against the lighter grey or open sky.

If others have other solutions in settings or ini, I'd love to hear them too.

#3 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:11 AM

i turned up my monitors gamma a couple clicks for Terra , you used to be able to turn gamma up in the game settings but not anymore.

#4 Tereva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

Good news, It's not you.
Bad news, I do not think there is a way to really work around it.

NV is that works best in most cases although HV works well sometimes too. So try alternating multiple times during a game. It helps a bit.

On time I had a drop in Viridian Bog at night, while it was raining! I didn't even know we have weather condition (it must be the only map with that mode). Hitting anyone farther than 200m away was more a lottery that anything else.

If someone have a magic recipe please share.

Shoot Straight

T.

#5 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

I've always had problems on these maps as well. The amount of times I've taken extremely long range fire from mechs I can't even see (particularly on River City) makes me think that a lot of players really are either adjusting their graphics or monitor settings drastically to be able to see.

#6 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

View PostHusker Dude, on 13 November 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

I've always had problems on these maps as well. The amount of times I've taken extremely long range fire from mechs I can't even see (particularly on River City) makes me think that a lot of players really are either adjusting their graphics or monitor settings drastically to be able to see.

Yea I've always questioned that myself.
River City, half behind a building, dead of night, cant see a thing....yet somehow I take a torso hit out from the opposite end of the map lol.

Is the MWO ini file adjustable anymore? Back in the day I think I recall some settings that could be mucked with, but I was under the impression that was done away with a while back.

Really makes you wonder sometimes.

#7 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

View PostTereva, on 13 November 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

Good news, It's not you.
Bad news, I do not think there is a way to really work around it.

NV is that works best in most cases although HV works well sometimes too. So try alternating multiple times during a game. It helps a bit.

On time I had a drop in Viridian Bog at night, while it was raining! I didn't even know we have weather condition (it must be the only map with that mode). Hitting anyone farther than 200m away was more a lottery that anything else.

If someone have a magic recipe please share.

Shoot Straight

T.

I walked my way straight into 10 enemies because of that.

#8 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:38 PM

I mess with the gamma settings. I have my monitors turned down really dim ("reading mode") so that they don't hurt my eyes. I can then crank the gamma up to keep games appropriately bright.

#9 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

View PostFien, on 12 November 2017 - 08:43 PM, said:

Do I just have to crank my gamma up and down as I'm playing?

YES.

Both gamma and brightness. There is an optimal combination for each map.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 20 November 2017 - 08:59 PM.

#10 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:27 PM

Dark maps are tough on snipers, true.

Watch your radar; it can give you important info as to where your team is and where the enemy (portions of) is.

Shooting the center of the target box will allow you to hit, even when the target is farther away then HV/NV shows (barring obstacles). For shooting farther than your sensors go, you'll have to rely on teammates (though that vastly increases the chance of obstacles).

The advice above on using NV to move and HV to shoot is good (ty Darrious). I often do just that on darker maps, and even find that switching to HV even briefly on maps like HPG, Mining, Terra, Crimson tunnel, or River at night can allow me to very quickly see when a mech is starting to be visible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users