#1 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:43 AM

How's this?
SHC-B

The idea is to have a fast and maneuverable medium who can kill or seriously pursue and scare off the annoying Mist Lynxes, Arctic Cheetahs, Locusts, etc., while still contributing against heavier mechs.

ER PPC: PPFLD, ECM disruption, long-range damage
SSRMs & active probe: Near-guaranteed to lock & hit
MGs: Hitting open components

An alternative I considered was dropping the MGs and going back to SHC-B arms plus the SHC-prime RT, so that I had 1 ER PPC, 2 flamers, and 2 SSRMs - on the idea that an overheated light is a motionless light. It wouldn't work on MG boats, but would work on laser-based lights.

Am I on the right track?

#2 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:46 PM

For a dedicated light hunter medium, I would recommend either the Viper or the Ice Ferret, because they bring much more speed to the table and can boat the weapons that are best against light 'Mechs: pulse lasers.

If I were driving one of my lights and saw either of these headed my way, I'd need new pants.

If you already have the SHC, or just prefer it because it has better podspace or higher mounts or w/e, then I'd suggest something more like this or this.

Your current config won't work, and there are several reasons why- first, you need to lead your ERPPC shots, which means probably losing lock with your streaks. You also have both light CAP and ECM, which is redundant- when the ECM is in jamming mode, it will disable your CAP, and when it is in counter mode it already cancels enemy ECM (the counters do not stack- you will not counter two ECMs if you have both CAP and ECM mounted; the only way to counter multiple ECMs is to have one of those two and TAG, else bring a UAV because that will cancel all local enemy ECM). Yes, the ERPPC will disrupt the enemy's ECM... but if you want to keep the effect going, you have to land a shot pretty much every time you come off cooldown, which is going to drive you to overheat very quickly even with just one ERPPC.

What you need for a light hunter is a lot of damage in a quick burst, preferably as focused as possible, and running cool enough for two or three follow-up shots to cripple and kill. With your config, you can only guarantee ten damage to the targeted component- the streaks may or may not hit what you want them to, and the MGs require a lot of time to chip through armor. At least 20 pinpoint damage should be considered the absolute minimum, and since 2xERPPC runs way too hot for close defense, you want lasers to go with your missiles.

Edited by WrathOfDeadguy, 20 October 2017 - 07:12 PM.

#3 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

streak crow with command counsel and sensors

#4 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 20 October 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

For a dedicated light hunter medium, I would recommend either the Viper or the Ice Ferret, because they bring much more speed to the table and can boat the weapons that are best against light 'Mechs: pulse lasers.

If I were driving one of my lights and saw either of these headed my way, I'd need new pants.

If you already have the SHC, or just prefer it because it has better podspace or higher mounts or w/e, then I'd suggest something more like this or this.

Your current config won't work, and there are several reasons why- first, you need to lead your ERPPC shots, which means probably losing lock with your streaks. You also have both light CAP and ECM, which is redundant- when the ECM is in jamming mode, it will disable your CAP, and when it is in counter mode it already cancels enemy ECM (the counters do not stack- you will not counter two ECMs if you have both CAP and ECM mounted; the only way to counter multiple ECMs is to have one of those two and TAG, else bring a UAV because that will cancel all local enemy ECM). Yes, the ERPPC will disrupt the enemy's ECM... but if you want to keep the effect going, you have to land a shot pretty much every time you come off cooldown, which is going to drive you to overheat very quickly even with just one ERPPC.

What you need for a light hunter is a lot of damage in a quick burst, preferably as focused as possible, and running cool enough for two or three follow-up shots to cripple and kill. With your config, you can only guarantee ten damage to the targeted component- the streaks may or may not hit what you want them to, and the MGs require a lot of time to chip through armor. At least 20 pinpoint damage should be considered the absolute minimum, and since 2xERPPC runs way too hot for close defense, you want lasers to go with your missiles.

Thanks. I want to get the Shadow Cat because, unlike the Viper or Ice Ferret, it has ECM. I'd like to be able to contribute at long range as well, which is why a MPULSE+SSRM configuration doesn't seem very appealing.

#5 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:01 PM

You are coming into the light mechs' den, asking what mech to use to hunt lights? Odd.

I would suggest stripping all of your armor and heatskinks. They just get in the way and slow you down. Lots of ammo, and lots of heat-generating weapons; get the largest targeting computer you can afford. Avoid streaks, they're no good against lights, everyone knows that. Be sure to chase only the fastest squirrels. The rest of your team will appreciate you leaving the fight to chase a locust around the map. It leaves more kills for them, after all.

#6 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

I posted in the wrong forum by mistake.

With the vastly reduced Streak SRM targeting angle (5-10* on each side?), I don't think keeping a streak lock on a fast light is very practical any more.

#7 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

Currently running 3 mplas and 2 ssrm6s. It's Ok, although I have not secured a lot of kills. I'm not far into the skill tree, yet. The Shadow Cat is very fragile compared to the arctic cheetah, or at least that's how it feels.

#8 mistlynx4life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:41 PM

I'm one of those Mist Lynxes and I have to say... I'm not scared of a Shadow Cat that isn't boating streaks, and even then I'll dance with it if we're all alone. Those lovely legs for days, easy to hit arms, and not-quite-to-be-feared torso twisting ability... yeah, I'll chew that thing up if given the chance. What *do* I think twice about? Stormcrows boating streaks, other Mist Lynxes running the 8xMGs, some Cheetahs, and most Commandos. Nothing else comes to mind at the moment. Maybe a good Wolfhound pilot. Heck, I'll dance with a Streakcrow too though, because I'm crazy like that. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users