Battle For Tharkad, Event Details!

581 replies to this topic

#541 Groutknoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:26 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 04 December 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

Hey there, Groutknoll! I somewhat agree with your idea of Cumulative Match Score, linked with a minimum number of matches. And yes, I get that we're trying to have ALL Matches count, not just ones that reach a certain Match Score for being determined as "Qualifying". However, what made it fall apart in my mind (and set me off... sorry) was the cross-linkage with restricting to a single Queue Type, combined with setting an over-high line to reach. Yes, we do need people to fill the Queues and keep on playing, but we need to be careful in what thoughts we provide to PGI. If they set Challenges up in the "Worst Case Scenario" range, we'll have exactly the problem that I was stating to MovinTarget up above. Just to give some math/numbers that shows my thoughts...

15 Matches * 250 Score Each = 3750 Total
3750 Match Score * ~1.33 Maximum Safe Multiplier = 5000 Maximum Safe Total
15 Matches * ~1.33 Maximum Safe Multiplier = 20 Max. Safe Equiv. Matches
(IF there was a Per-Match Requirement, which there obviously should not be...)
Wanted Luck Factor versus Effort Required = 0% to 1.5% (Skills should matter, right?)

...because if PGI tried to put more than an extra 33% on the threshold for Cumulative Match Score, as well as tried to lock things to just a single Queue Type in CW/FW/FP, then newer players will tend more often to just give up than to make an effort and actually try. That would result in the Queues being empty, Wait Times being high, and a whole lot of people getting nothing in the end. Of course, all my math above assumes that newer players, as well as seasoned Casual-type players, will only hit a Match Score of 250 about 33% of the time. With the number of '5000 Cumulative Match Score' that I'm proposing, players could also still switch back and forth between Scouting and Invasion, but still have to keep the Queues loaded for a reasonable duration. PGI has to be able to keep everyone enticed, or things get terrible for the ones who still stayed and played. As it stood, needing 250 MS for 15 Matches, with only 4 days to get in there, was pushing the edge of going into being unreasonable. Unknown to some, I had to miss this Capital Planet Battle Event due to Thanksgiving, as have I also missed a Sale or two that happened recently. I'm just trying to make sure that it doesn't land up that Challenges become "Overkill Exclusive" in future Events where I can participate, because when that happens, then the Queues get rather unwantedly empty and slow. This causes everyone's chances of finishing (not just my own), to decrease based on the Active Player Count, which runs the Luck Factor up to undesired levels for everyone... including PGI. Posted Image

On top of this, I (and I'm sure many others) also don't want to find the "Clubbed Seal Effect" happening, due to Veteran/Experienced Players running 'whole hog' over the rest of the community. If the bar is way too high, those types make sure to find some way to play that hurts everyone else. Neither PGI, nor the Newbie/Casual-Class players, need this happening. At least, I think we can agree on that? Posted Image

ah, so you were getting 250 match 33% of your drops. make even more sense ... ok, how about adding number of days for the event check?
cumulative score = (# matches * match score) + (((# matches / % of making match score) - # matches ) * (match score - 1))
number of event days = cumulative score / (median FP match score * median number of daily player FP drops)

so for you Dev,
(15*250) + (((15/.33)-15)*(250-1)=11,333 cumulative match(rounded) !!!!
ok, now some assumptions ( yeah, i know *** out u and me :P )
median player FP match = 100, median number of daily FP drops = 2 (this is out of all active players, should be higher if active FP players)
11,333/(100*2)= 56.665 days ... or 113 FP drops. really not possible and this is where a lot of anger comes from :(

Just wanting to give Matt ideas on how to tweak events. prevent hiding for match score, better players can finish quick, others have a chance to grind and a option to have event connected to a FP mode (scout or invasion)

#542 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationAnywhere but here, and the lights in my bays are off.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostGeewiz 27, on 04 December 2017 - 03:52 PM, said:

Hi D V Devnull I'm having trouble seeing your problem with the Tharkad event I've only been playing MWO for 8 months and I've taken part in all events in that time. From a relatively new players perspective it was the best experience I've had to date. The cue times were almost non-existent which was refreshing considering what they are normally like. In one session alone we had 10 FW invasion insta drops in a row! And my personal experience was the cue's for invasion throughout the entire event was massively improved. The 250 match score I believe was the reason for the increase in player numbers throughout the event because it was harder to achieve people stayed on longer. Also maid it harder to farm scouting like the majority of pilots did in the Luthien event. I would actualy like to see PGI have separate rewards for Scouting and Invasion altogether and have the premium rewards for invasion only. P.s. just my opinion.

Eh... Your displayed Join Date only indicates about 5 Months. I hope you're not just someone using an Alt. Account... :blink:

Anywho, if you're serious about being completely new, then you've had staggeringly far better mileage than myself in your first 5 Months. My first 6 Months was loaded full of hell. The next 6 weren't so great either, but better than the first 6 Months happened to be. Unfortunately, more often than not, the reason my experience has suffered is because MWO's Match Setup Systems seem bent on putting me with people who are unwilling to communicate, and Event situations that keep conflicting with Real Life badly enough to constantly keep me having to watch out for those who could end up in the same bad boat as myself. :(

View PostGroutknoll, on 04 December 2017 - 09:26 PM, said:

ah, so you were getting 250 match 33% of your drops. make even more sense ... ok, how about adding number of days for the event check?
cumulative score = (# matches * match score) + (((# matches / % of making match score) - # matches ) * (match score - 1))
number of event days = cumulative score / (median FP match score * median number of daily player FP drops)

so for you Dev,
ok, now some assumptions ( yeah, i know *** out u and me Posted Image )
median player FP match = 100, median number of daily FP drops = 2 (this is out of all active players, should be higher if active FP players)
11,333/(100*2)= 56.665 days ... or 113 FP drops. really not possible and this is where a lot of anger comes from Posted Image

Just wanting to give Matt ideas on how to tweak events. prevent hiding for match score, better players can finish quick, others have a chance to grind and a option to have event connected to a FP mode (scout or invasion)

I think you may have put a Decimal Point in the wrong place there? Or perhaps chosen a wrong Operator to sequence through? As it stands, I didn't get to compete during Thanksgiving, but if I had to put up with a line to reach like that, then I would never succeed. :wacko:

~Mr. D. V. "I start to think this Universe is targeting me for bad days... my mileage must be consistently worse than others." Devnull

[Edit by Post Author for a missed piece of a thought...]

Edited by D V Devnull, 05 December 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#543 StormDll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:54 PM

Ну и что там со статистикой уже? Сколько ее ждать от пираний?

#544 D V Devnull

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationAnywhere but here, and the lights in my bays are off.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

View PostStormDll, on 05 December 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

WOULD YOU PLEASE POST A TRANSLATION IN ENGLISH?!?!? I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND YOU!!! :angry:

~Mr. D. V. "does not know Russian, and can only tell that it is" Devnull

[Minor Edit by Post Author to enlarge for readability.]

Edited by D V Devnull, 05 December 2017 - 04:58 PM.

#545 Sam Ael

• 1,531 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:06 PM

View PostStormDll, on 05 December 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

View PostD V Devnull, on 05 December 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

WOULD YOU PLEASE POST A TRANSLATION IN ENGLISH?!?!? I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND YOU!!! Posted Image

Google Translate said:

Well, what about the statistics already? How much does she expect from piranhas?

#546 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 185 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:50 PM

@D V Devnull, I sympathize with your plight. Myself and GeeWiz had the good fortune to join a solid unit early on... It makes all the difference.

#547 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:06 AM

View PostGroutknoll, on 04 December 2017 - 09:26 PM, said:

Seems like an obscenely overweighted value, if you put 249 as the expected score for each non-250 MS game. Such as overweight value will obviously end up with an overweight burden on the player, ie 55 days' commitment.

If we stick to your earlier assumptions of 100 median match score, and 2 games per day, you arrive at 7556 match score and 37 days, which from the previous 2 FP events, is a reasonably high bar to set as a "challenge", cuz just putting in 5 scouting matches a day will put you within the usual 2 week Event duration. To tweak this, all PGI needs to do is tweak the median match score, based on the data they have, to raise or lower the bar as necessary.

#548 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 3,428 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:19 AM

View Postarcana75, on 06 December 2017 - 02:06 AM, said:

Seems like an obscenely overweighted value, if you put 249 as the expected score for each non-250 MS game. Such as overweight value will obviously end up with an overweight burden on the player, ie 55 days' commitment.

If we stick to your earlier assumptions of 100 median match score, and 2 games per day, you arrive at 7556 match score and 37 days, which from the previous 2 FP events, is a reasonably high bar to set as a "challenge", cuz just putting in 5 scouting matches a day will put you within the usual 2 week Event duration. To tweak this, all PGI needs to do is tweak the median match score, based on the data they have, to raise or lower the bar as necessary.

Somewhere out there, there is a potential significant other for you that will be supremely turned on by your mathspeaks...

...you need to find this person...

#549 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 5,325 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:14 PM

STATS please.........

#550 McGoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:42 PM

Matt Newman, on 07 December 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

It will have to be after Mech_Con.

#551 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 5,325 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:54 PM

Saw that in the other thread after I made this post...one would THINK they had a program setup to retrieve and filter the stats, etc, etc..

Or maybe they did not want the stats to overshadow mech_con...Posted Image

#552 McGoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

Stats?? :(

Edited by McGoat, 11 December 2017 - 09:21 AM.

#553 Doomfist

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:24 PM

So about dem stats

#554 Eiswolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,773 posts
  • LocationRedfield

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:34 PM

I Miss the Statistics of Tharkad Event.
Where will they Relaise?

#555 McGoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:54 AM

They won't - at this point it just doesn't matter.
CW/FP received zero mention at mechcon, so just play to play with folks you enjoy dropping with.

Stats would be nice though, so we at least have something to see.

#556 Brother MEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 338 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:12 AM

I am waiting for the next BATTLE FOR A IS CAPITOL !

I asume this will be the planet ATREUS ... what is your opinion about this issue ?

#557 BUMMBUMM

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts
  • LocationHannover

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

announcement was ties are unlikely....
You did not specifiy that, that the capture threshold should be 0. So ppl didnt ask why the fff ingame threshold still shows the normal 90% threshold like always. so you couldnt fix it before the event ended. so it ended in a tie ^^

to sumtings up:
not communicating changed event goals, no questions asked, no fix, total fail.

learn from that matt newman, or maybe play the game yourself, then you could have noticed the unchanged capture threshold yourself.

seriously the info was posted afterwards, why not right away. ties are unlikely really sounds like we dont know what we're doing but we hope for the best ^^
you should really at least let a public relations trainee proofread the cr*p you post.

#558 McGoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:06 AM

Stats, please.

#559 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 1,566 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

i wish i had tharkad stats.

#560 vonJerg

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:25 AM

Nope, you ain't gonna worm your way out of this one, we will not let you PGI.

Stats please.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users