1440P @ 144Hz Advice

25 replies to this topic

#21 woflborg

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:34 PM

View Postarcana75, on 01 December 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

Weird and interesting workaround. I'll give it a try, could be that you are using gsync. I read that with gsync and Adaptive Sync in the control panel, the card+panel will collaborate more towards vsync'ing.

EDIT: Wow I don't know why or how, but this worked for me too! Thank you you're a saviour! And no I'm not using a gsync panel.

This alt+enter trick used to work even way back before i got my g-sync panel. But back then it was also possible to change the Hz amount through user.cfg so it wasnt as needed.

If you reaaaally wanted, it might be possible to force the right Hz by creating a custom 144Hz resolution and taking away the normal 60Hz one. I used to do something similar to run lightboost on certain monitors before it was a feature that came with a gaming monitor. But its a hassle and might break compatibility with some game somewhere so I havent bothered yet. ToastyX custom resolution utility was the tool I used the last time I was messing with these.

Edited by woflborg, 02 December 2017 - 07:40 PM.

#22 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:53 PM

View PostYosharian, on 02 December 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

I actually drop to 45 FPS sometimes, happened yesterday

i7 6700K + 1080TI @1080p ultrawide

45 fps

this game is a joke

> 1440p

> ultrawide

> 1070

lmao

Well.... I will let you know how it turns out when it gets here on the 6th. Every review I have seen has been tested with just a 1070 8b card and it pushes FPS just fine. Of course, they didn't test this game while doing the reviews. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#23 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:14 PM

View Postwoflborg, on 02 December 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

This alt+enter trick used to work even way back before i got my g-sync panel. But back then it was also possible to change the Hz amount through user.cfg so it wasnt as needed.

If you reaaaally wanted, it might be possible to force the right Hz by creating a custom 144Hz resolution and taking away the normal 60Hz one. I used to do something similar to run lightboost on certain monitors before it was a feature that came with a gaming monitor. But its a hassle and might break compatibility with some game somewhere so I havent bothered yet. ToastyX custom resolution utility was the tool I used the last time I was messing with these.

If you are going to use the User.cfg to set your max refresh rate, make sure you set it to 141 or 142Hz, so that there is no chance of your frame rate exceeding the max refresh rate of your monitor (which causes tearing). Of course, if you have G-Sync and enable Vertical sync in the Nvidia control panel, but not in MWO, you should not get tearing either.

#24 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:49 AM

Before this alt-enter trick I tried user.cfg but it didn't do anything. No matter I'm perfectly fine with this workaround.

#25 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:52 AM

View Postarcana75, on 03 December 2017 - 12:49 AM, said:

Before this alt-enter trick I tried user.cfg but it didn't do anything. No matter I'm perfectly fine with this workaround.

Yeah, getting MWO to actually use the custom User.cfg is not as easy as just adding command lines to the text file, there is other stuff you need to do and there was a guide on how to do it, but I forget where (it used to just work, but not anymore).

#26 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:52 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 03 December 2017 - 12:52 AM, said:

Yeah, getting MWO to actually use the custom User.cfg is not as easy as just adding command lines to the text file, there is other stuff you need to do and there was a guide on how to do it, but I forget where (it used to just work, but not anymore).
you need a second file, called 'tuning.cfg' that contains 'exec user.cfg' ... and its as simple as that .... the difference is that the user.cfg file is only read before the game initialises, whereas the tuning.cfg file, is launched when you spawn ... it works better if you launch into the testing grounds before you go into a match ... some options can only be set pre-launch, some will crash the game, but its not common to see any of those options in a file, without them being marked ... I turn the detail that I want up, from the low settings ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users