Loyalty Mechs Are A Hit

25 replies to this topic

#1 Mechrophilia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

Id like to THANK you, PGI, for the great lineup of new loyalty mechs. Pretty much all of them are functional (if not fantastic) and the artwork on some of them is spectacular. The loyalty Griff has one of the best paint jobs in the game.

These "appreciation" mechs actually make me feel appreciated for my purchases. Cheers!!

#2 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:03 PM

I just can't make the Griffin work, but that's probably because I never seem to be able to get *any* Griffin to work.

#3 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostCatten Hart, on 16 November 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

I just can't make the Griffin work, but that's probably because I never seem to be able to get *any* Griffin to work.

Don't put weapons that need face time to be useful. Use short-duration lasers, single-bullet ACs, PPCs, SRMs.

WIth MRMs, UAC/RACs and long-duration lasers you just won't have good time. Griffin's frontal hitboxes are awful.

#4 Stf Sgt Marblez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the battlefield, trying to make a difference.

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:33 PM

Indeed, this batch of loyalty mechs makes last years look like a joke. All are fun to play with decent loadout options across the board. The griffins a bit funky, but I've got face time weapons on a mech that needs torso twisting to get the most out of it, so thats just a problem that I've manufactured.

But really....Pgi........hellz yes!! Tytytytyty!

#5 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

Oh got a bunch of mine too. But I have not begun working on them, as I am currently grinding on my Nightgyr and Novacat. Still got a long list of untouched mechs.

I see a considerable number of loyalty mechs in the field, so they are popular, or at least, a considerable number of people have bought collection sets and hero mechs.

#6 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

I can’t put down my -R68 long enough to play the Griffon, Victor or Kit Fox. But they all look like a lot of fun (and PRETTY too!)

#7 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:46 PM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 16 November 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

I can’t put down my -R68 long enough to play the Griffon, Victor or Kit Fox. But they all look like a lot of fun (and PRETTY too!)

The Victor and Urbie are certainly some of the best of the bunch.

#8 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:18 PM

View PostCatten Hart, on 16 November 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

If you're out of options, you can just do MRM50. Probably the best build for the mech, other than maybe 2x HPPC. But both those builds are rather boring, I suppose.

#9 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:13 AM

I hate MRMs, but I love the MRM30 Urbie... That little trashcan is just too much fun.

#10 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:27 AM

They are fun! Had a few games that were mostly Urbie vs. Urbie action - it was hilarious!

#11 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:54 AM

I absolutely love the Griffin's paint job. Too bad I suck so hard at piloting it

#12 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:58 AM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 16 November 2017 - 06:26 PM, said:

Don't put weapons that need face time to be useful. Use short-duration lasers, single-bullet ACs, PPCs, SRMs.

WIth MRMs, UAC/RACs and long-duration lasers you just won't have good time. Griffin's frontal hitboxes are awful.

So much this. It's actually true of any medium, tho. You are not a tank. You are not a brawler. You are an ambush predator. Use your mobility to get flanking and rear shots on enemies, especially ones distracted by your team.

#13 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:29 AM

View PostXavori, on 17 November 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

So much this. It's actually true of any medium, tho. You are not a tank. You are not a brawler. You are an ambush predator. Use your mobility to get flanking and rear shots on enemies, especially ones distracted by your team.

That explains it. Granted, I'm use to fighting with ERPPCs on a Huntsman, with some form of leeway and less reason to try facetanking.

However, with the Loyalty Griffin, I found myself trying to make MRMs and LMGs work. Terribad build, but I figured it might be what works okay with it due to four Ballistic HPs. Glad to see I was wrong. I'll try rebuilding it next time I play.

Edited by Catten Hart, 17 November 2017 - 08:32 AM.

#14 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:20 AM

View PostN a p e s, on 17 November 2017 - 06:13 AM, said:

I hate MRMs, but I love the MRM30 Urbie... That little trashcan is just too much fun.

MRM 50 Wolverine/Griffin are both a lot of fun for them, MAD 5D MRM 60 is a great MRM platform.

You can run MRMs pretty well on most Zeus too, getting some unexpected success out of that chassis with them.

Otherwise though they're pretty bad.

#15 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

Ive never been having so much fun in MWO!

Loyalty Kitfox is so much fun, Loyalty Urbie is a blast too. I also have the L griffin but I too have struggled a bit with that one. (Its always hard starting a fresh mech with no SP though)

I actually even really like Ruby Oasis - its litterally built for my Flying Spider 5V Posted Image

#16 Alkabides

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

I'm having a ton of fun with loyalty mechs too. Urbanmech by far though I'm having most fun with. Mrm20 and 2 mpl. I jump out of cover, hit you in the face, run while you're wondering why anyone would put a missle launcher on a garbage can, shoot you in the back then take off for parts unknown. Who would have thought a mech crafted by freebirthers would be so damn fun!

Edited by Alkabides, 17 November 2017 - 12:12 PM.

#17 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 17 November 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

MRM 50 Wolverine/Griffin are both a lot of fun for them, MAD 5D MRM 60 is a great MRM platform.

You can run MRMs pretty well on most Zeus too, getting some unexpected success out of that chassis with them.

Otherwise though they're pretty bad.

I'll have to give it a go on other mechs again, but my first impressions were not very positive.

Something about the Urbie being really mobile and not a priority one target makes them fun.

#18 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

View PostN a p e s, on 17 November 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

I'll have to give it a go on other mechs again, but my first impressions were not very positive.

Something about the Urbie being really mobile and not a priority one target makes them fun.

I love my Urbies. However there's a couple of mechs that can use MRMs okay.

#19 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:39 PM

Yeah dude 100% thank you PGI

#20 l33tworks

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,268 posts