Less Reliance On Other Players In Events Please.

12 replies to this topic

#1 Georgegad

• PipPipPip
  • Chu-sa
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:33 PM

I loved the new map and it makes perfect sense to have an event based on release of any new material.

That said can there be some thought into making events that do not require repeating the same map multiple times, or any other task that would involve another player having the choice to interfere with you achieving the event.

A number of your players finish these type of events early and then get a laugh out of not voting for the event maps. You probably were not thinking that people would be that small when the events were designed, but this is the reality of online gaming. Given any opportunity for griefing at someone else's expense a lot of people will choose to do so for giggles.

I completed the event quite quickly in the first few days as well but if i had to attempt it now it would take a lot longer. If i was trying to begin it on the weekend it ends and only had a few hours to achieve it I expect it would be very difficult.

Perhaps for future events the task could be to play the map once? Any person who wanted the event late would just have to get their vote count high enough to outweigh the vote and would achieve it. It is a participation event after all, not a skill challenge.

Edited by Georgegad, 19 November 2017 - 11:34 PM.

#2 Muujig612

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:43 PM

Things are not as bad as you make it out to be. I played plenty of new map today.

#3 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:07 AM

The event goes for two weeks...even the 'I finished it early' trolls will tire of their griefing long before then.

#4 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:25 AM

View PostGeorgegad, on 19 November 2017 - 11:33 PM, said:

I loved the new map and it makes perfect sense to have an event based on release of any new material.

That said can there be some thought into making events that do not require repeating the same map multiple times, or any other task that would involve another player having the choice to interfere with you achieving the event.

A number of your players finish these type of events early and then get a laugh out of not voting for the event maps. You probably were not thinking that people would be that small when the events were designed, but this is the reality of online gaming.
[...]

I agree on the suggestion, but that "small" part is outrageous.
You are disguising your own egoism as some social fault of others.

The reality is this:
Some players play more, others less. Both is fine.
Players who play more get the map challenge completed sooner.
When one has played the same map a lot of times, one gets a little tired of it and wants to play another map.
That is not unsocial. That is not "small". The voting system is still in place. They don't get a special bonus on their vote or whatever. Everything is still fair.
It cannot be the obligation of some people to vote for a certain map against their own interest to help other player get their challenge done as fast as possible.
That would be (or demanding that is a) perversion of a social group.
If you still need to play the map, then vote for it. All others did it, too.

I am time and time again staggered by how difficult it is for a lot of people to understand basic social behavior and solidarity.
People throwing their trash on the street.
People ruining their health and expecting others to pay for it.
People (without hardship) demanding others (who were more dilligent than they are) to help them against their interest or otherweise call them "small" out of some weird egoism.

Seriously:
- You still have enough time to complete the challenge.
- The challenge itself is of hardly any importance. Even if you don't complete it, you will not notice it in your future and will have probably forgotten in 2 weeks time.

So please don't project your own egoism into some pseudo-unsocial behavior of other people. Learn social behavior yourself before running around and throwing absurd blame.

Edited by Paigan, 20 November 2017 - 12:26 AM.

#5 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:39 AM

A number of your players finish these type of events early and then get a laugh out of not voting for the event maps. You probably were not thinking that people would be that small when the events were designed, but this is the reality of online gaming. Given any opportunity for griefing at someone else's expense a lot of people will choose to do so for giggles.

View PostJames Argent, on 20 November 2017 - 12:07 AM, said:

The event goes for two weeks...even the 'I finished it early' trolls will tire of their griefing long before then.

Not voting for your map is not 'griefing'.

I'm just ******* sick of playing Oasis every other ******* match by this point.

#6 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:48 AM

I agree with the OP..

I was trying to complete the rubellite challenge, and some other map got picked multiple times in a row.. So I typed in all-chat something along the lines "Hey guys, you know we need to do the Rubellite map challenge?"

Very first response I got was "You mean YOU need to do it, not me"...

I really hate people.. Posted Image

I also get it that people who have done it are already sick of Rubellite, especially those that like large laservomit alphas or LRMs, which the map is not very good for..

So yeah..

The challenge inherently generates and promotes douchy, selfish behavior, and frustration..

Just like every other "do X on map Y" challenge before it..

Edited by Vellron2005, 20 November 2017 - 12:51 AM.

#7 Georgegad

• PipPipPip
  • Chu-sa
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:46 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 20 November 2017 - 12:48 AM, said:

I also get it that people who have done it are already sick of Rubellite, especially those that like large laservomit alphas or LRMs, which the map is not very good for..

So yeah..

The challenge inherently generates and promotes douchy, selfish behavior, and frustration..

Thank you.

A series of angry rants in reply from other posters over a fairly simple post really highlights the issue.

People are the least enjoyable part of the internet. Without them online gaming would be a much better experience.

#8 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:11 AM

I completed the event quite quickly in the first few days as well but if i had to attempt it now it would take a lot longer. If i was trying to begin it on the weekend it ends and only had a few hours to achieve it I expect it would be very difficult.

Perhaps for future events the task could be to play the map once? Any person who wanted the event late would just have to get their vote count high enough to outweigh the vote and would achieve it. It is a participation event after all, not a skill challenge.

Are players purposely not picking the Ruby Oasis because they completed the challenge and are willfully denying others the chance? I don't think so, unless they've made it known to you.

Ruby is a hot map and most of the player base avoid hot maps. If players are done with the challenge, they're not incentivised to play any hot map, Ruby included, and will continue to select cold maps when they can.

The opposite, is the player base be altruistic enough to think, "there's an event ongoing, I'll pick Ruby even though I'm personally done with it, so that I can help people out"?? Nah, I don't think the MWO player base thinks like that in the majority.

#9 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:23 AM

I agree with the OP..

I was trying to complete the rubellite challenge, and some other map got picked multiple times in a row.. So I typed in all-chat something along the lines "Hey guys, you know we need to do the Rubellite map challenge?"

Very first response I got was "You mean YOU need to do it, not me"...

So yeah..

LRMS work just fine on this map, as does laser vomit.

#10 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:26 AM

Hmmm.

My unit mates all finished the map element of the event on Friday. Since then we continued to -mostly- pick ruby since we are still trying to learn the ins and outs of the map. Even ignoring that though, the idea that some early finishers of that portion of the event would be intentionally "trolling" to prevent you and others from getting to play the map seems specious if not outright absurd. I mean, even when we were running a rocket theme last night -as a 8-12 man mind you with the corresponding vote modifier- and kept voting Crimson, we rarely go it since Ruby kept winning. Meh. Either way, I think you will have plenty of time to finish, and plenty of opportunities to play the new map.

Edited by Bud Crue, 20 November 2017 - 03:26 AM.

#11 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:19 AM

So yeah..

Pssst.

It's QP and it is always like that. Event just makes it worse for all to see.

#12 Georgegad

• PipPipPip
  • Chu-sa
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:40 AM

View Postarcana75, on 20 November 2017 - 03:11 AM, said:

Are players purposely not picking the Ruby Oasis because they completed the challenge and are willfully denying others the chance? I don't think so, unless they've made it known to you.

Yes they did make it known. More than once.

Like TWIAFU says it is just like that.
It is normally not an issue and you can just ignore jerks but when it impacts the number of games you have to play to get the event it becomes more worth mentioning.

Slightly changing the mission objectives to kills or components etc would just make the problem go away.

View PostBud Crue, on 20 November 2017 - 03:26 AM, said:

the idea that some early finishers of that portion of the event would be intentionally "trolling" to prevent you and others from getting to play the map seems specious if not outright absurd.

They would have to be complete losers wouldnt they. It is a little difficult to believe.
There you are though, some peoples lives are that sad.

#13 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:04 AM

View PostGeorgegad, on 20 November 2017 - 04:40 AM, said:

Yes they did make it known. More than once.

Like TWIAFU says it is just like that.
It is normally not an issue and you can just ignore jerks but when it impacts the number of games you have to play to get the event it becomes more worth mentioning.

Slightly changing the mission objectives to kills or components etc would just make the problem go away.

They would have to be complete losers wouldnt they. It is a little difficult to believe.
There you are though, some peoples lives are that sad.

Not choosing Ruby cuz they don't need to, is not the same as willfully denying someone else Ruby to troll them. I am done with Ruby, so right now I don't need to keep hoping for it to show up and hammering the option when it does, instead I now pick the map that best suits my current mech and build. This motivation is not trolling. FWIW I still pick Ruby cuz I want to learn it. But I realise it's a hot map, so weeks from now, it's going to fall off the play list, and the regular popular maps like HPG and all the ice maps come back into popular rotation.

As the quote says, "You mean YOU need to do it, not me". It's as factual and objective a statement as one can make it. That statement doesn't say, "Nyah nyah I purposely picked this map so that YOU can't get Ruby!" If a player did say that to you, I recommend you report and block him. Although it seems like the Block option isn't working as intended? I still see blocked players show up in my matches.

Also, expecting everyone else to pick Ruby, just because you need it, is showing entitlement. The game that 23 others are playing don't revolve around a sole 24th player's needs.

Edited by arcana75, 20 November 2017 - 05:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users