New Overheat Mechanics?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Formosa The God

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:31 AM

I was having a thought when it came to the way that heat works in this game, now I dont have an issue with laser vomit etc. let people do what they want, but I dont currently like the way that overheating just damages the mech (when you override), and a thought came to me.

Why not introduce at high heat levels a floating target marker, have it drift slightly to make your shots less accurate and drift massively when you override and are taking damage, while this is not a perfect idea by any means, and will likely be unpopular it would go some way to disrupt those pinpoint attacks when at high heat levels.

An alternative idea is to have the same fuzzy effect as when you are hit by a PPC the second you go over the max heat (and have override on).

any other ideas ?

#2 Muujig612

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:52 AM

View PostFormosa The God, on 21 November 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

I was having a thought when it came to the way that heat works in this game, now I dont have an issue with laser vomit etc. let people do what they want, but I dont currently like the way that overheating just damages the mech (when you override), and a thought came to me.

Why not introduce at high heat levels a floating target marker, have it drift slightly to make your shots less accurate and drift massively when you override and are taking damage, while this is not a perfect idea by any means, and will likely be unpopular it would go some way to disrupt those pinpoint attacks when at high heat levels.

An alternative idea is to have the same fuzzy effect as when you are hit by a PPC the second you go over the max heat (and have override on).

any other ideas ?

Can also completely disable the targeting system, as well as minimap, as if the overheated mech is under constant ECM.

#3 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:54 AM

I’d actually like to see some heat related effects added. Other things that could happen would be heat sinks melting, ammo cooking off, sensor/targeting malfunctions, loss of convergence, weapon and component destruction, etc... There’s so much potential for such a system that it’s a shame they haven’t done more with it.

#4 Composite Armour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:15 AM

View Postocular tb, on 21 November 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

I’d actually like to see some heat related effects added. Other things that could happen would be heat sinks melting, ammo cooking off, sensor/targeting malfunctions, loss of convergence, weapon and component destruction, etc... There’s so much potential for such a system that it’s a shame they haven’t done more with it.

your ammo, weapons and sinks already get destroyed when you override. If you're saying this should happen before you hit the heat threshold, then what's the point of the heat threshold?

I'm all for minor stuff like a bit of sway and some distortion before hitting the heat cap, but stuff like ammo cooking off and weapons being destroyed is another thing.

#5 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:48 AM

View PostComposite Armour, on 21 November 2017 - 05:15 AM, said:

your ammo, weapons and sinks already get destroyed when you override. If you're saying this should happen before you hit the heat threshold, then what's the point of the heat threshold?

I'm all for minor stuff like a bit of sway and some distortion before hitting the heat cap, but stuff like ammo cooking off and weapons being destroyed is another thing.

The 100% threshold is for emergency shutdown as a last resort to save the mech from complete destruction. Overriding that emergency shutdown would and should result in imminent destruction and death. The other things would happen at different thresholds depending on heat level with ammo explosions being probably the last step just before 100%. Sensor and targeting malfunctions would probably be affected at the lowest levels, with heat sinks melting somewhere in between. I think it’d be fun and would slow things down a bit, which I think is needed.

#6 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:56 AM

View Postocular tb, on 21 November 2017 - 05:48 AM, said:

The 100% threshold is for emergency shutdown as a last resort to save the mech from complete destruction. Overriding that emergency shutdown would and should result in imminent destruction and death. The other things would happen at different thresholds depending on heat level with ammo explosions being probably the last step just before 100%. Sensor and targeting malfunctions would probably be affected at the lowest levels, with heat sinks melting somewhere in between. I think it’d be fun and would slow things down a bit, which I think is needed.

Nope.

14/30 is first shutdown which is possible to override, 30/30 is hard shutdown which cant be overidden, but even then you can go further which simply extends the shutdown or leads to reactor meltdown.

But then our external dhs have mere 40% actual tt efficiency so we already have way more punishing heat management and putting any further limitations would kill energy builds.

#7 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:12 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 21 November 2017 - 05:56 AM, said:

Nope.

14/30 is first shutdown which is possible to override, 30/30 is hard shutdown which cant be overidden, but even then you can go further which simply extends the shutdown or leads to reactor meltdown.

But then our external dhs have mere 40% actual tt efficiency so we already have way more punishing heat management and putting any further limitations would kill energy builds.

Energy builds seem to be doing just fine these days. Toning them down some wouldn’t kill them.

The 100% threshold I mentioned was for a hypothetical change in the heat system where crossing it was the absolute last resort and would usually result in death. Not saying that’s what we have now, but what I envision it as being with the aforementioned changes.

Edited by ocular tb, 21 November 2017 - 06:53 AM.

#8 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:28 AM

View Postocular tb, on 21 November 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

So punish a Pilot for using their COMBAT vehicle while using it during COMBAT? Hmmmm.... sound slightly silly really...;)

#9 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:44 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 21 November 2017 - 06:28 AM, said:

So punish a Pilot for using their COMBAT vehicle while using it during COMBAT? Hmmmm.... sound slightly silly really...;)

If it’s being pushed to its limits why not? Run something hard enough and hot enough and it’ll wear out and eventually fail. Heat has always been a factor for battlemechs in TT, books, games, etc, this isn’t new.

#10 Formosa The God

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:31 AM

I am not saying this to tone down laser vomit or anything, just to add another layer of complexity to the game, it could even result in some skill tree nodes being added that lessons the affect, these are just mad musings of a MWO player, nothing more.

#11 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:41 AM

Yeah the heat system in MWO is way too forgiving, the hotter you get the more bad stuff should happen.

#12 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:03 AM

If heat scale penalties are added like this lights and mediums are going to suffer the most, and IS will struggle more under the system. Hint: it has something to do with IS heavies and assaults having 16-19 heatsinks on most mechs while clans have 22-28.

#13 Mechrophilia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 397 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:11 AM

What if overheating too without shutting down caused your mech to be targetable like you were spotted.

#14 Smith Gibson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:14 PM

The question is not "What PGI should do with the heat mechanic" but, considering PGI's limited programming skill, what can they do that is simple enough that they can actually do it.

#15 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:56 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 21 November 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

If heat scale penalties are added like this lights and mediums are going to suffer the most, and IS will struggle more under the system. Hint: it has something to do with IS heavies and assaults having 16-19 heatsinks on most mechs while clans have 22-28.

Quirks, dude. That's what make IS lights so flipping annoying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users