#25 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 20 November 2017 - 02:06 AM, said:

Yeah, the Hellstar is all kinds of gorgeous. Shame it's also too far out of timeline, just like the Cygnus. The only Clan 95 tonners we're likely to get are the Turkina or a PGI original.

To be fair the Hellstar uses invasion-era tech so we don't have to worry about any NuTech. I think Russ said that currently the main concern with mech packs is about tech required rather than the year the mech was introduced?

#26 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:44 PM

View PostFupDup, on 20 November 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

To be fair the Hellstar uses invasion-era tech so we don't have to worry about any NuTech. I think Russ said that currently the main concern with mech packs is about tech required rather than the year the mech was introduced?

All I know is the biggest out of timeline gap we had (at least as far as I noticed) was the Bushwacker at +2 years. Then we had a timeline jump & a lot more 'mechs opened up.

#27 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 20 November 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

85 tons?
Longbow, guys. Longbow.

rather have the "unseen" in a pack of 4 so it will be more enjoyable.

#28 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

As far as 85t IS Mechs are concerned the Gunslinger is the best option. The Longbow probably has a bigger fanbase (though that helps very little in game...); the Rampage is a very good Mech too, and I would love it, but I am not sure if PGI will ever introduce extinct chassis (extinct variants of Mechs are common in MWO...).

So yeah, the Gunslinger...

Here are the parts of a novel dealing with the Gunslinger:

Movement caught Brewer's eye. He looked up and spotted a Gunslinger marching deliberately toward his position. Its camouflage had been so cunningly painted that the barrel-chested assault 'Mech had been invisible to the naked eye, while its position had been masked by the heavy electronic jamming.

[...]

As the Mech Warriors of the Defiance Self-Protection Force scattered toward their BattleMechs, Goree headed for his GUN-1 ERD Gunslinger. The 'Mech was the product of a joint Davion/Kurita design team. Intended to cripple Clan 'Mechs at the stand-off ranges the genetically engineered Clan warriors seemed to favor, the Gunslinger mounted a pair of gauss rifles, one in each forearm. A half-dozen medium lasers, two of them pulse models, completed the assault armament.

Goree was as familiar with the 'Mech and its capabilities as he had been with his ex-wife, but unlike her, the big machine had never let him down. He sprinted up the steep metal stairs to the catwalk that ran shoulder-high to most of the 'Mechs in his battalion. When he reached the open ingress/egress hatch set into the back of his Gunslinger's head, he placed his duffel on the perforated steel decking and knelt beside it. He pulled a coverall from the bag and exchanged the MechWarrior combat suit for his normal clothing.

[...]

Goree brought up his powerful gauss rifles, dropping the targeting reticle over the center-mass of a slightly damaged Ranger Flashman. The basketball-sized nickel-iron slugs smashed into the stubby 'Mech's torso and left leg, shattering armor and cracking the enemy's metallic shin bone. The rebel must have spotted Goree's camouflaged Gunslinger, for he raised both arms and touched off the Radionic large lasers that replaced the 'Mech's hands. The radiation-intensified light beams ripped across the Gunslinger's breastplate, leaving deep, blackened scars on the 'Mech's belly and left side.

The enemy didn't get a chance for a follow-up shot. Three flights of twenty long-range missiles from Lassiter's Salamander completed the work Goree, along with some unknown Defiance MechWarrior, had begun. Armor-piercing warheads savaged every portion of the Flashman's body. Its left leg parted company with its body, and the machine toppled to the ground, snapping off its right arm at the shoulder as it tried to break its fall with that weakened limb.

Still, it was not enough. There were far too many rebel 'Mechs for the DSPF to destroy one at a time. Facing odds of better than six-to-one, Goree's valiant warriors could not hold out.

(Th. Gressman, The Dying Time)

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 20 November 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

All I know is the biggest out of timeline gap we had (at least as far as I noticed) was the Bushwacker at +2 years. Then we had a timeline jump & a lot more 'mechs opened up.

Well, the -X1 was in full production by 3053, and a pre-production model was used in combat earlier. Given that we fought the Battle of Tukayyid before we got the Bushwacker, and that the clock is set to 3052 (still is), the Bushwacker was ok.

iirc, the idea was to have at least one variant in use at the time of MWO. The clock says it's 3052, the FP Map say's it's 3057, and we have FCCW-era tech, so that 'rule' must be rather flexible by now.

Edited by FLG 01, 20 November 2017 - 01:14 PM.

#29 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

View PostNema Nabojiv, on 20 November 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

Because what can be better than another lrm assault on your team Posted Image

Well the NAIS variant is a ballistic boat. The Longbow would be quite good if that variant were added.

#30 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 20 November 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

As far as 85t IS Mechs are concerned the Gunslinger is the best option. The Longbow probably has a bigger fanbase (though that helps very little in game...); the Rampage is a very good Mech too, and I would love it, but I am not sure if PGI will ever introduce extinct chassis (extinct variants of Mechs are common in MWO...).

So yeah, the Gunslinger...

Here are the parts of a novel dealing with the Gunslinger:

Movement caught Brewer's eye. He looked up and spotted a Gunslinger marching deliberately toward his position. Its camouflage had been so cunningly painted that the barrel-chested assault 'Mech had been invisible to the naked eye, while its position had been masked by the heavy electronic jamming.

[...]

As the Mech Warriors of the Defiance Self-Protection Force scattered toward their BattleMechs, Goree headed for his GUN-1 ERD Gunslinger. The 'Mech was the product of a joint Davion/Kurita design team. Intended to cripple Clan 'Mechs at the stand-off ranges the genetically engineered Clan warriors seemed to favor, the Gunslinger mounted a pair of gauss rifles, one in each forearm. A half-dozen medium lasers, two of them pulse models, completed the assault armament.

Goree was as familiar with the 'Mech and its capabilities as he had been with his ex-wife, but unlike her, the big machine had never let him down. He sprinted up the steep metal stairs to the catwalk that ran shoulder-high to most of the 'Mechs in his battalion. When he reached the open ingress/egress hatch set into the back of his Gunslinger's head, he placed his duffel on the perforated steel decking and knelt beside it. He pulled a coverall from the bag and exchanged the MechWarrior combat suit for his normal clothing.

[...]

Goree brought up his powerful gauss rifles, dropping the targeting reticle over the center-mass of a slightly damaged Ranger Flashman. The basketball-sized nickel-iron slugs smashed into the stubby 'Mech's torso and left leg, shattering armor and cracking the enemy's metallic shin bone. The rebel must have spotted Goree's camouflaged Gunslinger, for he raised both arms and touched off the Radionic large lasers that replaced the 'Mech's hands. The radiation-intensified light beams ripped across the Gunslinger's breastplate, leaving deep, blackened scars on the 'Mech's belly and left side.

The enemy didn't get a chance for a follow-up shot. Three flights of twenty long-range missiles from Lassiter's Salamander completed the work Goree, along with some unknown Defiance MechWarrior, had begun. Armor-piercing warheads savaged every portion of the Flashman's body. Its left leg parted company with its body, and the machine toppled to the ground, snapping off its right arm at the shoulder as it tried to break its fall with that weakened limb.

Still, it was not enough. There were far too many rebel 'Mechs for the DSPF to destroy one at a time. Facing odds of better than six-to-one, Goree's valiant warriors could not hold out.

(Th. Gressman, The Dying Time)

Well, the -X1 was in full production by 3053, and a pre-production model was used in combat earlier. Given that we fought the Battle of Tukayyid before we got the Bushwacker, and that the clock is set to 3052 (still is), the Bushwacker was ok.

iirc, the idea was to have at least one variant in use at the time of MWO. The clock says it's 3052, the FP Map say's it's 3057, and we have FCCW-era tech, so that 'rule' must be rather flexible by now.

The Gunslinger also has a hero with Zeus left arms, IE MRM/srm splat

#31 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:26 PM

I'd like to see the Salamander on the IS side, though I'm sure any twin-Gauss would be big.

#32 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 20 November 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

I'd like to see the Salamander on the IS side, though I'm sure any twin-Gauss would be big.

Why not go bigger? ;)
Posted Image

#33 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,634 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 19 November 2017 - 09:26 PM, said:

We have.....

80: Zeus,Awesome,Victor.
85:Battlemaster,Stalker.
90:Mauler,Highlander,Cyclops.
95:Banshee,NightStar.
100:Atlas,KingCrab,Annihilator.

Posted Image

Despite the funny look and original purpose to be a training battlemech, the Crockett is a formidable unit that has gun to window length arm hard points and comes with jump jets. (JJ's are pointless so it will just be taken off) Knowing how I.S will get armor/structure buffs and maybe some range/heat buffs too, this mech's 1b variant will possibly boat x6 ERLL and just be a better Lasermaster due to the fact the arms are noodles that are very close to the cockpit in terms of "highmount" and this mech is really XL friendly because the side torsos are skinny compared to the big giant hit box that's called a center torso. I have faith that Alex Iglesias will turn this funny looking mech into a highly detailed monster that will just have clanners scream for nerfs. (ERLL stalker nerf)

The main Crockett isn't that deadly but the 1b is.

I so want this one. Just one problem. . . . there are two versions.

#34 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:05 PM

Only issue with the Longbow is Harmony Gold, as it is one of the unseen/reseen mechs. The Templar would be a good 85 ton along with the Gunslinger and Shogun. Going Heavier you have the 95 ton Hauptmann (the mech with a Cigar), and even heavier the 100 ton Pillager.

View PostHawk819, on 20 November 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

I so want this one. Just one problem. . . . there are two versions.

The Crockett and Katana, the Katana just being a downgrade of the Crockett could be rolled up as an alt package like the Mauler/MX90 Daboku/Linesman.

#35 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:17 PM

View PostAthom83, on 20 November 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

Why not go bigger? ;)
Posted Image

I'd rather have the Rifleman II. 80t with a good engine, not a turret.

#36 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 20 November 2017 - 03:17 PM, said:

I'd rather have the Rifleman II. 80t with a good engine, not a turret.

Yes, but the Rifleman III could allow 4 AC/20s without crit splitting... I'll let that sink in for a moment.

#37 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:21 PM

View PostAthom83, on 20 November 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

Yes, but the Rifleman III could allow 4 AC/20s without crit splitting... I'll let that sink in for a moment.

That would be hard to mount even on a 100-tonner. That build would basically amount to an IS ballistic version of the Direstar.

#38 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

View PostFupDup, on 20 November 2017 - 03:21 PM, said:

That would be hard to mount even on a 100-tonner. That build would basically amount to an IS ballistic version of the Direstar.

Have you not seen the Loyalty Victor at 80t with 3? It is glorious. Hm... AC/20s are only 14 tons and that is a 20 ton increase of mech weight... hm....

#39 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:29 PM

View PostShadowomega1, on 20 November 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

Only issue with the Longbow is Harmony Gold, as it is one of the unseen/reseen mechs. The Templar would be a good 85 ton along with the Gunslinger and Shogun. Going Heavier you have the 95 ton Hauptmann (the mech with a Cigar), and even heavier the 100 ton Pillager.

The Crockett and Katana, the Katana just being a downgrade of the Crockett could be rolled up as an alt package like the Mauler/MX90 Daboku/Linesman.

Thunder Hawk, Pillager at 100t or obviously the Fafnir.
Cerberus or Sagittaire at 95t
Charger Thug or Spartan at 80T
Viking or Emporer at 90t could be quite good

View PostAthom83, on 20 November 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

Have you not seen the Loyalty Victor at 80t with 3? It is glorious. Hm... AC/20s are only 14 tons and that is a 20 ton increase of mech weight... hm....

The RFL III is only 90t. It also moves slower than an Anihilator.

#40 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:34 PM

And triple AC/20 blasts are just hot enough to gently shutdown it, too. Obligatory video:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users