Mech Builds: Save Me From Myself

13 replies to this topic

#1 Q

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:10 PM

Ok, so... I typically run whatever works (read: meta) but occasionally after a slew of solo QP drops I get an itch to run something... quirky.

Case in point: I like my AWS-9M, max light engine, ERPPC, 5xMPL and heatsinks. No one expects an assault running 80ish kph and it makes the barn doors just a *teeny* bit smaller.

But sometimes I get bad ideas and I need someone to talk me down from the ledge...

AWS-8Q, 3xHPPC, max heatsinks and whatever engine I can fit... Sounds terrible, right?

...or not?

#2 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:01 PM

I'll never knock a build unless I've tried it. Sometimes, even the troll builds end up as permanent residents in the mech garage. One example of mine: A king crab 000 with 2x HPPC, 2x MRM 30. Nowhere near meta, but still tons of fun. (I call it 'clawless'.) I guess my point is, if you think you'll enjoy them, build away! (But be mindful that it may be horrible too)

Edited by Daurock, 14 November 2017 - 07:21 PM.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:03 PM

Honestly that AWS-9M doesn't sound that bad by pug queue standards. You've got the ERPPC so you can contribute during the lengthy poking phase and you've got a respectable amount of MPL's for the brawling phase later on.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,970 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

oh great, another mech stepping on the banshees toes.

#5 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:10 PM

A severely inefficient build. With a LFE300 and 0 crits left, it's still got 3.50 tons free (slightly less if you don't shave from the head and legs) and only 37% heat efficiency on a paltry 45 alpha out to 540 meters. 3 HPPC also doesn't make a lot of sense as you've got ghost heat unless you chain-fire them, and chain-firing a 45 alpha is... gross. The deadzone will also screw you, hard.

I can't think of any scenario where it wouldn't be better off dropping one of those HPPCs for a pair of large lasers. Same tonnage, same slots, a bit more damage, a bit less heat (if you fire them with the PPCs and not on cooldown, you've got an answer (albeit a poor one) to enemies under 90 meters...

Still not a great use of that tonnage, though.

#6 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:37 PM

View PostQ, on 14 November 2017 - 05:10 PM, said:

AWS-8Q, 3xHPPC, max heatsinks and whatever engine I can fit... Sounds terrible, right?

...or not?

While 3xHPPC is nice pinpoint damage, you run the risk of facehuggers creepin' up on ya and using you for free damage because of that 90m deadzone. One example scenario on Mining using my Oxide... it was me + some enemy light + Awesome 8Q (either same build or similar): Basically just kept the Awesome within 90m ignoring him, took out the light, and just unloaded SRMs on his front CT while he was panic firing PPCs for zero damage. Low ammo at the end, but more than enough to finish the match.

Moral of the story is if you have someone violating your 90m bubble, you're pretty much screwed since they'll keep you in that deadzone and you'll never get far enough away unless they do something dumb. At which point you're basically a C-Bill pinata.

#7 tredmeister

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 112 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:07 PM

View PostN0ni, on 14 November 2017 - 06:37 PM, said:

Moral of the story is if you have someone violating your 90m bubble, you're pretty much screwed since they'll keep you in that deadzone and you'll never get far enough away unless they do something dumb. At which point you're basically a C-Bill pinata.

That is why I am currently running mine like this.

#8 Q

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

I wanted to thank everyone for your help in supporting me through my difficult time. I managed to *not* load up 3 HPPCs on the 8Q and have a horrible time ™.

What about 2xHPPC and 5xSPL? (It's a sickness I know.)

#9 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

Case in point: I like my AWS-9M, max light engine, ERPPC, 5xMPL and heatsinks. No one expects an assault running 80ish kph and it makes the barn doors just a *teeny* bit smaller.

Nobody expects assault packing firepower of 50-65 tonner.

Pack more firepower mate.

View PostQ, on 21 November 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

What about 2xHPPC and 5xSPL? (It's a sickness I know.)

2 hppc 2 ermeds on my 65 tons catapult k2.

this is what i would go with.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...500f20180f06495

and if you really want ppc
well drop down to 65 tons or go with something bigger which can also fit gauss.

Edited by davoodoo, 21 November 2017 - 12:17 PM.

#10 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

Ok, so... I typically run whatever works (read: meta) but occasionally after a slew of solo QP drops I get an itch to run something... quirky.

But sometimes I get bad ideas and I need someone to talk me down from the ledge...

...or not?

Get outta here! You can get an Awesome to run 80kph!?!?!?
***runs to check it out in mech lab***

#11 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:46 PM

BLR-3M, Light 400. 6 Light PPCs.

Checkmate.

#12 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

Try it and see

#13 UnKnownPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:52 PM

OK what about 4 x snub nose PPC, 3 x sml pls, max light engine, no endo for the AWS-8Q

#14 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

I made a 3 AC/2 Victor that I thought was going to be terrible and it turned out so well that it now has a permanent spot in my garage as my Victor of choice. You never know until you try.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users