Kdk-3, Alive & Well?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Odd Thomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:39 PM

Is the 2 X UAC10 + 2 X UAC5 (plus some lasers) still it's most effective build?

If it is, is it effective enough nowadays?

Seems light on damage for such a massive mech.

Thanks.

Edited by Odd Thomas, 04 June 2017 - 06:16 PM.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

It's not the damage per shot you should think about, but the overall Damage Per Second. The point of that build is that you just keep firing until your weapons jam.

This Vid shows what a triple ac5 Banshee can do in fifty seconds. The Kodiak is suppose't be able to spit damage out Faster, until it jams.

~Leone.

#3 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

Considering the range and ammo it gives it's pretty good. The maximum potential for damage I've seen is this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7933d8f6235fb00

Although it obviously is not viable by most standards! 8p You might be able to knock down some weight and get armor and less damage.

The default loadout on the (C) is pretty optimal.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a735bd00d869f72

It even has a specific alpha damage I ran into in my favorite Kodiaks builds. 88 damage after double tapping Uacs... I've always found that is a good sign on a Kodiak build. Usually good damage with good heat management. It also have 1439 damage with ammo.. That is also something I see on my more general favored clan builds with heavier ammo.

Edited by Arugela, 04 June 2017 - 06:44 PM.

#4 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:56 PM

My favourite build right now is the KDK-3 quad gauss.
IIRC it has full armour (maybe not on the arms), goes at 45.8kph, and with the right perks (gauss, ballistics, range, etc) is s total beast. 90 ammo btw.
I group them by side, ie: left gausses group fire on left mouse button and vice versa on the right. They fire in pairs.

In the last 2 days i’ve had 2 matches with 6 kills, plus another 2 with 5 kills.
This is pretty normal in this build.
Most people hate being face-to-face with big assaults and heavies. In this build i relish it. In a match today i finished off 2 king crabs, 1 annihilator, and 1 kodiak in the space of about 20 seconds. (Got kmdd for 2 of them iirc)
It’s something so amazing to be able to just tear through fresh atlases and king crabs.

The challenges are learning how to aim ahead of the target, and being accurate, always going for CT.
Also important to learn when to shoot - that extra half-second of patience is key, to make sure you hit the mark.
Of course you need to be very map-aware and move carefully, just like in any slow mech. The only true achilles heel are fast mediums and lights catching you alone to back-core you, but if you’re alert you’ll brush them away easy.

If you’ve already got a kdk-3 it’s definitely worth the c-bills and xp to get the kit and skills. I even have seismic and radar dep on there. If anyone wants i can post mechlab screenies once i’m on my pc.

It’s hell to get used to. I can see most people hating this build.
However once you wrap your brain around it, you’ll end up like me... hardly interested in any other mech anymore.

#5 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

UAC5/10 KDK still works well. The main issue is that it's mobility thanks to Engine Desync sucks absolute balls now. It's incredibly immobile and if you are slightly out of position, you are dead.

Wait till the MKIIC-B comes out. It does everything the KDK3 does, but better.

If you must run a KDK3 though, below are some good options.

Option 1

Option 2

View PostArugela, on 04 June 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

Spoiler

More builds that are just... I don't even know where to start.

#6 Astreon

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 07 January 2018 - 02:24 PM, said:

Wait till the MKIIC-B comes out.

Care to share some "better" brawler builds for MK?

#7 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:55 PM

The MCII is kind of meh at brawling (outside of the psuedo-Scorch MCII-2) but it does the fire support role like few other mechs. The 2xUAC10/2xUAC5 build works great on the -B, and the -1 and -DS can do Gauss Vomit about as well as it's possible to do.

If you really want to brawl in the MCII, the -2 (2 LB20X + 4 SRM4 or 6) is the king of MCII brawlers. I actually like my -1 using 2 LB20X and 4 MPLs, but it's not as bursty or good at firing and twisting away. Doesn't have bunny ears or have to deal with mediocre missile convergence, though.

The KDK really isn't a brawling mech (outside of the super mediocre Spirit Bear) and even the 4 LB10X KDK-3 isn't really built for brawling, but rather to just shotgun the hell out of folks. As long as you don't try to be the absolute tip of the spear in an MCII, you should be fine.

#8 Astreon

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:02 PM

Well maybe I missed the term, I'm talking about UAC5/10 builds.
What's better for those?
I'm attracted by torso pods of KDK, compared to MCII arms.

#9 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

The KDK's torsos are huge, the mech has mediocre twisting, and the arms really only shield from below and at 90 degrees. Combined with the mech's bad pitch, those torso mounts are really only good for hill peeking.

The MCII's arms are big and attract a lot of fire, but the movement (and the fact that you can aim them in a much larger cone much more quickly) means that it's definitely better for getting those bullets aimed where they need to be. You are 10 tons lighter though, so you tend to be less armored, slower, and/or have less ammunition. Neither is strictly better than the other, at least in my experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users