Hero Assault Mech Recommendations?

7 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:31 PM

With the black friday sale I was looking at having an inner sphere assault.

I don't usually play assault mechs and only have the battlemaster champion.

Seeking your recommendations?

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:31 AM

I love my Hellslinger. 3x LPLAS, 3x mlas, 21 DHS + 385XL.

#3 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

Still using the Misery, have used a few different builds over time. The 2X PPC, AC/20 build is still popular, I prefer LLPs and a AC/10 myself.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

Owner of many assaults and many heroes.

My Misery build is an SRM-4, AC/5, twin PPCs, SPL and twin SLs.
PPCs + AC/5 against long range targets. As they close in AC/5 + PPCs +SRM-4. As they close in if they are even still alive or as heat builds up too strong, drop the PPCs and crack in with just the SRM-4 and AC/5. When they get too close, the SLs and SPL will allow you keep modest damage alongside your AC/5 as you cool enough to use the PPCs again; once they are ready back off, SRM-4 + AC/5 + PPCs for the finishing blow.

Most things don't get close enough for the SLs.

My Boar's Head sports four large pulse lasers and twin TAGs (as a means of testing for invisible walls before I waste the heat to fire). The LPLs are fired in pairs so each gives damage superior to an AC/20 and even if fired all at once the resulting ghost heat is a slap on the wrist compared to that of twin AC/20s.

I very much enjoy my Heavy Metal, the Highlander hero. This is primarily due to energy and ballistic weapons being on the arms and my advanced knowledge in how to use arms separate from the torso which is how you get the mech to shine.

Beyond that I own the Banshee hero and the Awesome hero. Both of these mechs if built in Battletech and played to it perform to amazing levels. In MWO due to the game's mechanics, these mechs can't catch a break.

I don't own any other assault heroes; collecting them is far too expensive.

Most of my heroes are in the light to medium range with a good number in the heavies.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:06 PM

Following up I do own a Dragon Slayer.

If you like normal Highlanders, then a Dragon Slayer is an 80 ton Highlander through and through.
...If you like Victors, the Highlander Hero Heavy Metal is a 90 ton Victor, through and through.

Food for proverbial thought.

Edit. Took my Dragon slayer out for the first time in a few years.

UAC/5 + AC/5 in right arm. Dropped all 3 ML and put a Light PPC in the left arm. Two STreak SRM-2s. DPS oriented build.

953 damage, four kills with 3 solo kills and 5 kills most damage dealt and 6 kill assists. Had I not been so determined to kill a running Atlas and not deliberately ignoring the Battlemaster behind me, I'd probably have even more.

(Note a kill most damage dealt doesn't necessarily mean I made the kill, just that I got rewarded for doing the most damage to that enemy. 5 most damage out of 6 kill assists means I did most of the damage to the enemy before someone died; so of the 6 assists I got, for 5 of them I did most of the damage).

Edited by Koniving, 22 November 2017 - 07:35 PM.

#6 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:18 PM

SLEIPNIR is probably the best IS Assault hero right, with 4xUAC5s or 2xGuass+ERMLs.

#7 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 639 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:11 PM

Go for the Kaijuu, the King Crab Hero mech! 6 laser points in the arms, double ballistics on one side torso and double missle on the other.

The paintjob alone is worth the price of admission I'd say.

#8 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:31 PM

Looks like everyone has a different suggestion!
No bad mechs, just bad pilots hey?

Out of curiosity I bought the zeus hero. Still have plenty of MC left though!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users