Jump to content

Mrm60 Poker/poptart


20 replies to this topic

#1 Sarganis

    Member

  • Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 17 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:34 PM

Hi everyone.

I would like to get some advise on getting a decent MRM60 build.

The primary things I would like to do are :
- Poke/hillhug and spew 60 missiles on big mechs at 300-400 meters
- poptart (including from the backs of my assaults during push).
- Be as small and light as possible (but ofc not to the extent where I die from a spit)

To achieve that, I have a checklist of what my mech should have:
- Two high missile mounts (but not in the same side torso 'cause XL engine + 2 MRM30 won't fit)
- Jump jets-capable
- 50-60t range, high cockpit and small upper profile
- I'm ok with XL engine and no survivability quirks as this is not brawler at all

For now, I found two chassis that can do that:
1) Wolverine WVR-7K
2) Griffin GRF-2N

1) has missile quirks, additional high energy mount for ER med laser and it looks more compact.
2) has ECM

Please advise what you think:
Should I go for ECM or quirks+guns?
How would you build those mechs?
What other mechs (only for c-bills) can you recommend?
Based on your experience, which mech's profile is better for hillhuggung?

Edited by Sarganis, 21 November 2017 - 11:37 PM.


#2 Horseman

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:19 AM

50t is a pretty low tonnage to attempt MRM60 on. I've squeezed a MRM60 build into a HBK-4SP once and it required a LOT of compromises in speed and survivability to work. 55t is more realistic as your minimum tonnage.

Slightly above your tonnage target, there's Catapult C1 (65t). Did pretty good in the MRM build role when I ran it.

#3 BP Raven

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:32 AM

I've started seeing the occasional Trebuchet with MRM 60 on which has my interest (already have them historically skilled, but sold). Not tried one yet so can't comment/recommend, but it's another one to look at.

#4 Audacious Aubergine

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 863 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:28 AM

If you don't mind spending some actual money, the Quickdraw hero is 50% off right now

#5 The Basilisk

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:46 AM

One of the oldest mechs in game may fit your bill.

The Catapult CPLT-C1. You will go at just over 70kph wich will enable you to run amidst your team and your agility and weapon placement is good enough to do some hillhumping and poking. You also will notice that this mech is comparable tiny and has a low profile while featuring decent armor. You could ..... mount XL and add additionaly Jumpjets.
If you realy want to poptart I would suggest remove the lasers and one heatsink and replace with jumpjets.

Edited by The Basilisk, 23 November 2017 - 12:53 AM.


#6 BP Raven

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:11 AM

Built and skilled a MRM 60 Treb 7M, thing has crazy missle quirks, 20% cooldown and heat, 10% velocity.

Build with some investment in firepower, didn't go all out as i wanted some armour and speed tweak:

Posted Image

With all cooldown and i think heat gen nodes it looks like this:

Posted Image

It's a lot of fun to play, if the Treb ever gets the structure quirks changed to armour, and/or a rescale i think it will be a really viable mech.

#7 Joey Tankblaster

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:27 AM

The MRM-60 Treb-7M is a monster. Very high DPS due to cooldown quirk (-20%), runs cool (-20% heat), xl-check is fair. Treb-Hero works too for less firepower but more C-Bills.

WVR-7K is also great. Missile range quirk give >600m range for MRMs. Best hardpoint location for hill poking.

Quickdraw-Hero is a bit slow (engine-cap).

#8 BP Raven

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:41 AM

View PostJoey Tankblaster, on 28 November 2017 - 04:27 AM, said:

The MRM-60 Treb-7M is a monster. Very high DPS due to cooldown quirk (-20%), runs cool (-20% heat), xl-check is fair.


So far i think the only ST loss death i've had was to LRMs when i was trying to take cover and failing (enemy had lines from the side so had to put side towards the Lurm boat)

#9 The Basilisk

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:12 AM

*Note to self: Next time you see a slowish treb with mrms put some hundred laser dmg in that sidetorso*

Posted Image



#10 Vxheous

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:24 AM

I dont know about MRM 60 poptart, but I have a MRM 100 Archer thats really fun to play

#11 Darrious Quinn

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:20 AM

Though just about all the advice on this topic seems sound, is it just me or does a Poptart MRM60 just seems like a contradiction of itself?

Poptarting is a quick bunny hop above a hill just long enough to squeeze off a high point alpha.

MRMs stream out.. with a duration based on the MRM size yes? You wont/shouldn't/cant hover long enough to accurately let loose a stream of 30 missiles. Especially at range! Even if you were using six MRM10s, you'd just be peppering your target (if you're lucky) and the ground around him with missile fire. That isn't poptarting... that's wasting ammo and not dealing damage.

I wouldn't waste my resources. Nothing against MRM builds, but they are better served up front on brawlers and strikers. If you wanna poptart man, do it right, gauss + ppc builds. And no... hill hugging isn't poptarting. Hill-hugging is nothing but firing from behind tall cover. High mounts and situational awareness is all that's needed to do that effectively.

#12 BP Raven

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:36 AM

I think of it less or a poptart and more of a very mobile missile slinger ... you can do jump shots if you aim it right, or just use the jets to get into and out of a good firing position quickly.

#13 Joey Tankblaster

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:12 AM

View PostDarrious Quinn, on 28 November 2017 - 07:20 AM, said:

Though just about all the advice on this topic seems sound, is it just me or does a Poptart MRM60 just seems like a contradiction of itself?

Poptarting is a quick bunny hop above a hill just long enough to squeeze off a high point alpha.

MRMs stream out.. with a duration based on the MRM size yes? You wont/shouldn't/cant hover long enough to accurately let loose a stream of 30 missiles. Especially at range! Even if you were using six MRM10s, you'd just be peppering your target (if you're lucky) and the ground around him with missile fire. That isn't poptarting... that's wasting ammo and not dealing damage.

I wouldn't waste my resources. Nothing against MRM builds, but they are better served up front on brawlers and strikers. If you wanna poptart man, do it right, gauss + ppc builds. And no... hill hugging isn't poptarting. Hill-hugging is nothing but firing from behind tall cover. High mounts and situational awareness is all that's needed to do that effectively.


To a certain degree this is true. To me MRMs are a hybrid weapon: perfect to hit slower targets at range (usually assaults) and effective brawl weapons nearly as good as SRMs e.g. in scouting.

Ammo does't really matter. The Treb mounts 4 to 5 tons of MRM ammo. Add the necessary skills and you are good for 1440 to 1800 missiles or 24 to 30 salvos. In close quarter fights the dps of the treb is just enourmous, much more than a 55ton IS SRM Brawler.

Hill poking or jump sniping comes along with ammo waste but this is not a real problem as mentioned above. The suppressive effect prevails here. Damage to selected components is also low. But who cares? 60 damage every ~3 seconds, low heat is too much for an assault caught in the open. I wouldn't evalute MRM60s as competetive builds - they are just fun to play.

#14 Spare Parts Bin

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 5
  • 1,555 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

It does not poptart but a Stalker does MRM-60 with back-up weapons. MRM-20s in the torsos and MRM-10s in the arms.

#15 Water Bear

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:32 AM

View PostSarganis, on 21 November 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Hi everyone.

I would like to get some advise on getting a decent MRM60 build.

The primary things I would like to do are :
- Poke/hillhug and spew 60 missiles on big mechs at 300-400 meters
- poptart (including from the backs of my assaults during push).
- Be as small and light as possible (but ofc not to the extent where I die from a spit)

To achieve that, I have a checklist of what my mech should have:
- Two high missile mounts (but not in the same side torso 'cause XL engine + 2 MRM30 won't fit)
- Jump jets-capable
- 50-60t range, high cockpit and small upper profile
- I'm ok with XL engine and no survivability quirks as this is not brawler at all

For now, I found two chassis that can do that:
1) Wolverine WVR-7K
2) Griffin GRF-2N

1) has missile quirks, additional high energy mount for ER med laser and it looks more compact.
2) has ECM

Please advise what you think:
Should I go for ECM or quirks+guns?
How would you build those mechs?
What other mechs (only for c-bills) can you recommend?
Based on your experience, which mech's profile is better for hillhuggung?


GRF-2N. I have had some stellar games in mine, which only runs MRM-50. The jump jets are extremely useful for that play style. As much as I (used to) love my Wolverines, the GRF is the better mech for this job.

Edit: Also I advise against the TBT-7M. I own several Trebs and love them all, but as 50 tonners with no armor quirks they die if you sneeze on them. They also have large bodies for their minuscule armor. They do have strong quirks (for a reason! Because they suck without them!), but if you don't know what you're getting yourself in to with those I would strongly suggest you start with a 55 tonner such as the GRF.

Edited by Water Bear, 12 February 2018 - 05:40 AM.


#16 Wulfe09

    Member

  • PipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

mrm60 tempest. 70 t is hvy. ecm. 4erml's too.

#17 Toha Heavy Industries

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:29 AM

UZL-5P ?
https://mwo.smurfy-n...6033b051576345a

Or Shadowhawks
https://mwo.smurfy-n...52466524c2b3dcc

Or Wolverines
https://mwo.smurfy-n...81bd51b6c41c141

Or Quickdraw
https://mwo.smurfy-n...75006e5e48c5a60

Or Thunderbolt
https://mwo.smurfy-n...e8172304fafba2a

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 22 March 2018 - 09:46 AM.


#18 Throe

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 764 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

View PostDarrious Quinn, on 28 November 2017 - 07:20 AM, said:

Nothing against MRM builds, but they are better served up front on brawlers and strikers.


I think the main thing I don't like about MRMs in general is that they're exceedingly difficult to fire accurately in a mid-range brawling situation. The stream of missiles wouldn't be such a problem if they were a bit faster, but their relatively slow speed means you have vastly different lead distances with an opponent who is changing direction in the middle of your attack.

#19 Eisenhorne

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 830 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:16 PM

View PostThroe, on 22 March 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:


I think the main thing I don't like about MRMs in general is that they're exceedingly difficult to fire accurately in a mid-range brawling situation. The stream of missiles wouldn't be such a problem if they were a bit faster, but their relatively slow speed means you have vastly different lead distances with an opponent who is changing direction in the middle of your attack.


Just means they are best used against heavy assault mechs. Agile MRM mechs are EXCELLENT at softening up Daishi's and Anni's.

#20 Squiggy McPew

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 709 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:37 AM

Bushwhacker p1 can do mrm80 with four tons ammo. Might still be on sale for a few hours.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users