Trebuchet Revisited

15 replies to this topic

#1 Davy J0nes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

I had hoped the treb was going to get a CT quirk but it never came also never got the resale it was promised and at this stage its safe to say the mech has been forgotten.

Thought I would throw in some ideas for this old mech, and hopefully will see more of them on the battle field again.

Treb LG and 7M

Being trying out MrMs on these with some great results.

LG (hero) 4 mrm 10s - 2med erlasers - xl300 full jumpjets.
Different playstalye picture yourself as fire support able to jump over building hills and drop back down safely behind something - drop some missile fire on targets your team is focusing on and even get in close if you have to.

7M same idea as the LG only 1mrm20 2mrm10s + 3 jumpjets less tanky in the arms however better with heat and cd to be honest I have alwasy frond the 7m better then the LG.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to run Srms on these however these days with new mechs coming out + qurks I find the treb is actually having a harder time its not that you cant simply your up for a hard time.

A MrM + jumpjets role still keeps your best strs in the game while putting yourself in less harms way and still being useful to your team.

------------------------------------------------

7K as always gauss ppc - uAC5 2lpls - AC20s all these well known builds still work wonders.

3C cant find anything what works wonders with that 390 engine cap so your safer with the 5n

5N 2 roles rly 2 LRM15s 4 med lasers or 2 MrM 20s 4meds

5J - well known for its large laser melting tho not as good as it used to be with a bit of a nerf

Anyway if anyone has fond other ideas please share love the treb was my first mech and refuse to give up on it.

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

Well the trebs role is that of a second line midrange missile supporter.
A role that, due to the inflated speeding capabilitys and defense capabilitys against LRMs of the mechs in MWO is virtually nonexistent.

So you do other things with focus on alternate weapons that got quirks....alright but the main downside of the Treb is still its geo that makes it unsuitable for face to face engagements.

There realy is nothing appart of a complete redesign that would alleviate this problem.

#3 Davy J0nes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 23 November 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

There realy is nothing appart of a complete redesign that would alleviate this problem.

Which the treb was meant to get, I remember it was even said over twitter that mwo were currently looking at the Cent and the treb...and then noting for the treb.

#4 Mercarryn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:27 AM

Although the Trebuchet is far from being meta, I still love to drive it in quickplays. Was one of the first mechs I bought when I started in MWO. And right now, I think it benefits well from the new tech.
Like you I remember the call that the Treb would get a rescale, but this did not happen, because the other mediums on the 50T -55 area were rescaled to be bigger, thus making the Trebuchet "smaller".
Perhaps you have a look at the main trebuchet thread. Some people already posted their ideas with new tech already. LINK

But, if you want some ideas for the different variants, here you are:

TBT-7K

A little different to the usual 2LPL UAC5 build, with a bit more PPFLD with the PPCs. Can run hot though if you do not watch your heat.

Regarding the 5J I will quote myself from the original main Trebuchet thread:

View PostMercarryn, on 20 October 2017 - 05:51 AM, said:

Well, since a few days, I am driving my 5J more like its original loadut with a few little tweaks:

TBT-5J

And I have to say, this loadout suits me better then the overall STD-laser vormit that people prefer for the 5J.

TBT-5N

5N has some nice general energy range quirks, giving the ER medium lasers a range around 430 meters. And the LFE makes it harder to kill despite its blocky geometry.

I have kept my 7m quite tradionally with LRM10 and narcs, though I also had an idea about making it a Light Mech hunter:

TBT-7M Streak

#5 BP Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:34 AM

If you compare the treb with the Enforcer (also 50 tonnes) it's about half a head taller and wider ... The Enforcer is as wide as the Trebuchet with an arm missing, and has thinner legs too.

#6 Davy J0nes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:14 AM

If the treb cant get a CT quirk would something like this help you think?

https://ibb.co/mH7bUb

I find even when the treb manages to turn on its side CT can still get hit - simply doesn't shield itself enough with the arms like a Cent can.

The CT does still stick out a little.

Thoughts please.

Edited by Davy J0nes, 11 December 2017 - 09:16 AM.

#7 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:15 PM

7M with MRM40 (15%cooldown, and velocity bonus) and 3 ML XL engine - 280ish if memory serves.

This is my best mech. Period. Not even kidding, I have struggled with the trebs in the past, but this guy is amazing. It manages the heat well and that MRM40 reloads really quickly that I feel relatively confident taking on assaults and heavies in it, rtelying on a bit of manovreability. The velocity quirk on the MRM makes it seem easier to target damaged components too.

#8 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:54 AM

I'm running the 7M with 2xMRM30 and LFE 250

#9 Davy J0nes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:51 AM

thats great grumpy and horseman - I have also noticed the 7m can handle the ghost heat when mixing srms with mrms, no other mech can do it as well as the 7m

tryed out MrM 40 with 2 srm 4s + 2 med lasers 4 jumpjets

( or drop the med lasers for 2 srm6s )

those's who underestimate you are in a world of hurt.

Edited by Davy J0nes, 15 January 2018 - 02:53 AM.

#10 Mercarryn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:01 AM

Since last patch I have tweaked my 7K a bit for 2 ER large lasers and a light gauss. Quite nice for harrassing the enemy at distance:

TBT-7K

Edited by Mercarryn, 25 January 2018 - 04:01 AM.

#11 Davy J0nes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:43 PM

Been a while but 7k with a 200std engine 2 mediums and a heavy gauss rifle 4tons of ammo - guys it works wonders.

#12 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:05 AM

For the recent event’s “Tag damage” achievement I ran the 7M with 3 streak 6’s, two Tags (one in each arm just to be sure) and 1 ML. Worked much better than I expected.
Seeing those 20 tonners falling on their faces has never been more satisfying.

Edit:
There was BAP and TC in the build too. Combined with Tag you get very quick locks and that juicy cooldown quirk keeps the missiles flying.

Edited by ShiverMeRivets, 16 October 2018 - 12:10 AM.

#13 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:59 AM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 16 October 2018 - 12:05 AM, said:

For the recent event’s “Tag damage” achievement I ran the 7M with 3 streak 6’s, two Tags (one in each arm just to be sure) and 1 ML. Worked much better than I expected.
Seeing those 20 tonners falling on their faces has never been more satisfying.

Edit:
There was BAP and TC in the build too. Combined with Tag you get very quick locks and that juicy cooldown quirk keeps the missiles flying.

I'm pretty sure that TC doesn't help lock-on time at all, only makes getting targeting info faster (which means nothing to a streak boat) so that might be a ton to invest elsewhere. Otherwise that sounds like fun, though outside of the event, I don't think you'd need double TAG really.

Edited by Maddermax, 16 October 2018 - 12:59 AM.

#14 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:32 AM

View PostMaddermax, on 16 October 2018 - 12:59 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure that TC doesn't help lock-on time at all, only makes getting targeting info faster (which means nothing to a streak boat) so that might be a ton to invest elsewhere. Otherwise that sounds like fun, though outside of the event, I don't think you'd need double TAG really.

That is correct.

#15 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:08 AM

View PostMaddermax, on 16 October 2018 - 12:59 AM, said:

The double tag was one in each arm to make sure that I get the tag damage even when i lose an arm. I even played with 3 tags just for the LOLs :)

TY for the TC clarification.

#16 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 October 2018 - 12:10 PM

I've got the 5N, 5J, and just rebought the 7K. They're fun but a bit tough to play thanks to the scaling.

TBT-5N Trenchbucket
The typical ALRM30 build. I personally prefer LRMs to MRMs on the Trebs since you don't need to expose as much to lob them.

TBT-5J Jumpbucket
My favourite Trebby. The ALRM15 isn't the most intimidating weapon out there, but the speed and JJs let you switch from bombardier to harasser really quick. Hang out in the 300-400m area, drop missiles on a target's head, then jump in and drill a weak spot with those 5ML.

TBT-7K Dakkabucket
Still fiddling with this one, but it's a fun direct fire support build. Changing to 2 AC5s is probably more "meta", but the suppression factor of the RAC2s is what makes it interesting IMO. Had to go hard into the Survival tree though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users