53 replies to this topic

#41 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:51 PM

View PostWikikomoto, on 15 December 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

look at the cougar E. it has 3 medium lasers, the exact same weapon, yet one is TINY and the others are HUGE.

PGI just... really does not care about mech design

They do, but there is something getting lost between the team making the 'Mech itself and the team doing the variable geo.

#42 Wikikomoto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 119 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC Canada

Posted 15 December 2018 - 06:20 PM

they really, really dont. you can tell by the fact that the artist barely even looks at some of the designs. i think thats really apparent with the cougar. example, there is supposed to be a reactor housing on the back, which you can clearly see on the mechassault and MW4 design. but its a little hard to see on the original art.

the mwo artist didnt even see it. glanced it over completely. and the cockpit is so... wrong. the original design is so iconic mechwarrior. the low posture, the wide torso. the hunched legs.

this redesign can be mistaken for an uzil, puma, or any number of other light mechs that have similar proportions.

mw4 was so good at having distinct silhouettes. you could tell what anything was at a glance. mwo, everything looks identical. tall, long legged, thin torsos with almost zero torso length. even on particular designs like the crab.

Edited by Wikikomoto, 15 December 2018 - 06:20 PM.

#43 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:27 PM

Wot. Crab is long as hell dude.

#44 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:40 PM

I have no problem recognizing 'Mechs by silhouette in this game and, frankly, the MW4 models were terrible.

#45 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:00 PM

The MW4 Models were P.good for their time.

I dunno, I like the MWO art direction. It's still 80's as ****, but still very modern.

#46 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:07 PM

View PostPaigan, on 24 November 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

Lasers don't need or have barrels. They have lenses.
Those designs always looked ridiculous and whoever came up with them in the 1980ies was a complete fool.
The PGI lasers look fine as they are.

Posted Image
Laser weapon system.

Also...
Posted Image

And portable.
Posted Image
Which was underpowered, and thus..
Posted Image

Wait, a higher powered portable version got some secret upgrades and a longer barrel? Huh.

Hmm..

Yeah those 1980s fantasy designs had no idea that lasers would be short stubby cubes with a lens.

Note:
There are many aspects to what make a laser work, and part of this is that there are more than a single lens at work but a concert of lenses along a length of tube (aka a barrel) which can adjust in order to focus the laser as appropriate for the desired distance and power. Though damage in basic Battletech and MWO is set in stone so to speak, in the expanded rules one can opt to fire at less than full strength in order to achieve firepower at range but generate less heat (though one can also use this trade of less damage to also extend the range with the same heat). Thus the barrel concept makes sense... even if they are quite excessively long in the original artwork.

It is also worth noting: Part of the reason for the slanted barrels is protection. The LAWS of real life has a pretty fatal flaw. A single bullet can break it. It has no armor.

Edited by Koniving, 15 December 2018 - 10:14 PM.

#47 Wikikomoto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:18 AM

if anyone says the mechwarrior online cougar looks better than the mechwarrior 4 cougar in terms of recognizably, they are simply just wrong. its amazing how much better the mw4 design looks, in terms of its closeness to the original concept art.
Posted Image

#48 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:29 AM

Nobody said the MWO one looks like the MW4 one.

#49 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:43 AM

At least the cougar doesn't need god level quirks or a gorilla arm like the pnts. When i choose to go ppc on light I go with the cougar. i like both mw4 and mwo looks when it has ppc but it is fugly with just laser cubes.

#50 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 01:18 PM

Half the crowd complains about stubby barrels, the other half complains about hitbox and geometry. I'd opt for the smoother gameplay experience tbh. Look at the Phoenix Hawk. The second they decided to do big gun arms, everybody forgot that's what they had asked for in multiple previous mech releases and suddenly all the threads were, "Phoenix Hawk loses its arms all the time what was PGI thinking?"

#51 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 02:00 PM

You know the Cougar looks bad when I begged for it for years, pre-ordered the Ultimate pack and *still* haven't played a single match in one, over a year later.

#52 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 December 2018 - 02:04 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 16 December 2018 - 11:43 AM, said:

At least the cougar doesn't need god level quirks or a gorilla arm like the pnts. When i choose to go ppc on light I go with the cougar. i like both mw4 and mwo looks when it has ppc but it is fugly with just laser cubes.

With the Cougar's current place in the MWO meta pecking order it actually does need god-level quirkage very badly.

Also if you're gonna do a PPC light, the Adder Prime with stock pods is way better than the Cougar because of its good weapon quirks.

#53 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 02:32 PM

View PostFupDup, on 16 December 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

With the Cougar's current place in the MWO meta pecking order it actually does need god-level quirkage very badly.

Also if you're gonna do a PPC light, the Adder Prime with stock pods is way better than the Cougar because of its good weapon quirks.

Although Cougar is nowhere near the OP part of the spectrum, but for PPCs it is still better than Adder, all quirks considering. ECM+jump capability are just too important for a peeps carrier.

#54 Wikikomoto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:39 PM

i for one could not even remotely care less about how "meta" or even "good" the mech is, i just want to play with one of my favourite mechs from the battletech franchise, not... whatever the hell this is

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users