14 replies to this topic

#1 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

Many people dislike Humanoid mechs because they want to be "cool" and like reverse joint mechs because it looks "more" like a mech.

Humanoid Battlemechs are my absolute favorite and undeniably cool because they stand so tall and proud like the Highlander or Orion unlike the Atlas which looks like a obese neck-less bodybuilder that's just a giant hitbox that gives you the idea of free farm instead of the idea of being pommeled into the ground or the Awesome that's some short stubby wide barn door that isn't tall and beautiful like the table top version.

All Battlemechs with lower arm actuators should have the capability to raise their arm like a super battledroid preparing to fire because compared to "high mount" battlemechs they are technically rendered obsolete in Hill-Warfare.

The toggle should allow you to raise each arm and keep them held there until you press the toggle and it makes you lower your arm again.

TLDR
Title says it all.

P.S Humanoids are cooler than all other battlemechs.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 28 November 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

P.S Humanoids are cooler than all other battlemechs.

Posted Image

#ChickenWalkerMasterRace

#3 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:11 PM

I'm ambivalent, but I imagine you'd need a trade-off such as locking the arms to the torso. Lower arms may be bad for hillhumping but they're better for everything else.

#4 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

there should be a toggle that lets you shoot your arm at other mechs and the arm should fire all its weapons just before it hits them and explodes.

like in robot jox

#5 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

I, too, wish to be able to shoot Rocket Punches at my enemies. That's the only reason Kodiaks have actual hands, right?

#6 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

yep so rocket punches for everyone

make it happen PGI its what the people want

#7 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

For the Toggle, only one arm allowed at a time and there is a "holding" charge then a cooldown timer (we can NOT have those type of circle jerks videos going live...)

Would it move some mechs with arm mounted weapons up a tad in their usability? Yes, more IS than Clans, but then there are a few Clan humanoid mechs that would benefit from the ability to raise one of its arms when there is intervening terrain.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 28 November 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#8 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:15 PM

I suspect that this would be very difficult to implement - but it definitely would help make more mech designs viable.

#9 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:33 PM

View PostJonathan8883, on 28 November 2017 - 07:15 PM, said:

I suspect that this would be very difficult to implement - but it definitely would help make more mech designs viable.

And would make them stupid looking mechzombies ...

#10 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:09 AM

View PostKroete, on 28 November 2017 - 11:33 PM, said:

And would make them stupid looking mechzombies ...

Not if it was only one arm at a time then also temporary, aka holding charge.

#11 Whitey On The Moon

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSouth East US

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:32 AM

View PostKhobai, on 28 November 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

there should be a toggle that lets you shoot your arm at other mechs and the arm should fire all its weapons just before it hits them and explodes.

like in robot jox

Al righty then
I want a hydrolic piston assisted punch melee mechanic, so I can knock the head off the next mech that tries to face hug me.
"GO BIG O!!"

#12 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:51 AM

I cannot like the initial post that childishly tries to sell a personal childish bias as an objective truth, but I agree on the actual topic.

IMHO, there are two ways in which arms should be implemented in a Mech shooter:

1.)
Ideally, the Mech would raise the arms automatically to maintain a firing line height to the locked target if necessary.
(Just the height, I'm NOT talking about an auto-aim function. Don't slaughter me.).

2.)
Short of that (because "technical difficulties" blabla), there should at least be an option to toggle the arms to their highest possible position to manually compensate for obstacles. Maybe with a decrease in accuracy and/or arm degree to compensate if need be for balancing reasons and7or to avoid every running around constantly like a Firemoth Posted Image.

Such functionality would be THE most important to have arms on a bipedal tank in the first place.
(apart from the of course super-duper crucial point of "looking cool" for some Posted Image).
Without that, arms are mostly just a moreless effective shield for the torso with a built-in "eewww, don't put your weapons there if you don't have to"-flaw.

#13 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:58 AM

I think that while some cosmetic toggles might be nice, like being able to turn eye glow on/off on the Atlas or open bay doors on missile launchers, I would either like them to be inconsequential, or to have a combination of both positive and negatives. that balance out.

For arm swinging, I can't imagine any real effect besides adding some humanoid appearance. In the novels and the board game, there's definite benefits from having lower arm and hand actuators for melee combat, as well as for everything from capturing ejected warriors to bringing back looted equipment, but as-is in MWO, I couldn't see arms being free-swinging serving any purpose but taking valuable fractions of seconds to raise back to firing positions. It'd be nice to see some map modes where mech hands come into play, like maybe Capture the Flag or FP maps with alternate paths that can only be opened by mechs with hand actuators...

There are unfortunately a number of limitations caused by not everyone having a fully functional mech cockpit with footpedals and power-glove manipulators, instead generally using the mouse-keyboard combo for greater accuracy, but not everyone's going to drop a cool five grand for a game that metacritic gives a 68% and still doesn't feel substantial after five years of development.
I'll give Mechwarrior 5 a chance, but I'm not crowdfunding it. HBS has a good track record. PGI has Duke Nukem Forever and this.

Edited by ice trey, 29 November 2017 - 05:01 AM.

#14 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:50 AM

Give us the power to kick Light mechs 20 yards so we can shoot them...and just because we wanna have fun doing it. :)

#15 Rick T Dangerous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 354 posts
  • LocationExactly above Earth's center

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:31 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 29 November 2017 - 04:09 AM, said:

Not if it was only one arm at a time then also temporary, aka holding charge.

So.... less like oldschool zombies, more like 80s aerobics. Then we'd NEED the Yeoman, too!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users