Fafnir Thoughts

32 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Parker

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

This thing punches a lot of check boxes for me. Strong weaponry in the torso, no JJ's on a big mech (personal preference), standard engine, ECM and AMS. It might be slow but once you're in range you can put out a world of hurt and take a lot of punishment. It remains to be seen how the hit boxes work out, but it looks to me like you will be ok except face on or slightly turned. Depending on how they do side versus center you might be better off staring at your target all the time rather than giving them a partial profile of your extended center torso.

Thoughts, guesses, opinions? I'm strongly considering putting down some cash on this one. My only big guy is a Black Knight that I'm not real fond of but probably mostly need more practice with and a better loadout. Compared to my small and fast stuff it will take some getting used to but I'm sure I'll try some other options before this is actually in game.

#2 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:21 PM

Will depend of the cover provided by the arms... right now they look a little bit small. If they give him structure boost like the annihilator he will be interesting.

#3 Michael Parker

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:42 PM

Yeah, those shields are pretty narrow, but probably do help a bit, just not from the forward arc. Anything in the front 160 degrees or so won't have any trouble hitting a torso.
Seems that way on a lot of the big guys with high mounts though.

#4 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

Don't know if we will have some mobility buff on big assault, not to bad in a coordinated team but for pug they are coffins in a lot of games.

#5 TKG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe Sandhills of NC

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:47 PM

When it comes to the Fafnir, it's got the same physical form as the MW4 one which means from every angle it's an enormous target. Yes I get that you can say that about any assault but the fafnir is as wide from the side as it is from the front and back which is plain rare. I expect that serious Annihilator drivers will do well in the Fafnir as a lot of the same 'big gun' principles apply and they can carry similar loads allowing one to make a 'dummy' fafnir using an annihilator. Though if the handling is the same or at least similar to MW4, the Fafnir is going to need support just to break even and in a PUG without a coordinated team I cant see much of that happening. While I am going to pass on buying this one, for those of you who do, you'd better hope it's cockpit isn't as easily destroyed as it was in MW4.

#6 whatthecrapisthis

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

For me this is a simple no go. Lack of work on the game by PGI ( balance, content ect..). Has closed my wallet or any interest in anything they may try to sell me. From a new player perspective any investment in this game is a complete waste of money. This dev team has really done the least amount work possible. At every turn. I will not support that. I will enjoy the free to play aspect until I lose interest and will simply move on from there. Once I have gotten bored.

#7 TKG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:17 PM

View Postwhatthecrapisthis, on 05 January 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

For me this is a simple no go. Lack of work on the game by PGI ( balance, content ect..). Has closed my wallet or any interest in anything they may try to sell me. From a new player perspective any investment in this game is a complete waste of money. This dev team has really done the least amount work possible. At every turn. I will not support that. I will enjoy the free to play aspect until I lose interest and will simply move on from there. Once I have gotten bored.

Oh yeah, one of you guys pops up every time a new mech is announced.... but in the end you'll buy the mech when it's up for MC betraying your high ground cause in the end anyway you like the game and what it has to offer.

Edited by TKG, 05 January 2018 - 11:31 PM.

#8 whatthecrapisthis

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:08 AM

View PostTKG, on 05 January 2018 - 11:17 PM, said:

Oh yeah, one of you guys pops up every time a new mech is announced.... but in the end you'll buy the mech when it's up for MC betraying your high ground cause in the end anyway you like the game and what it has to offer.

Na dude I have only been playing on and off for a few months. The game gets way to repetitive to spend any real time. Anywhone that's my two cents I won't be replying on this thread anymore

#9 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:54 AM

There's always one or a dozen when it's an IS mech.

It's great to watch them squirm when said mech is good. *looking at you Bushwhacker*

#10 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:52 AM

I'm fairly completely a Clanner, but the Fafnir is something I have loved since I first saw it in MW4M. I purchased the Ultimate pack immediately. It's going to be a massive pain driving that slow, (I'll feel like an 80 year old with cataracts in it) but if it's the super-tank with near-instant kill weapons like it's supposed to be, I'll love it.

ECM + AMS + Dual Hgauss + a decent laser backup = It's going to be a huge pain for a lot of enemies. (the 5 variant has 2000 PPFLD potential with its 2 Hgauss with 40 shots each, and no ghost heat)

This is going to be an incredibly powerful brawler, if it can ever get that close. Posted Image

Edited by BTGbullseye, 06 January 2018 - 02:52 AM.

#11 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:11 AM

Fafnir didn't impress me at all in MW4 and doesn't here either. It'll make a nice, large target though.
Just like King Crabs, Dire Wolves, and Annihilators do :P
I'm really not impressed by anything that's got a max speed under 64 Kph.

#12 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:38 AM

The Time of ... Shieldarms...is long gone.
At least since the decoupling of engine and mobility.
What is interesting is the Hardpoint combination of the FNR-5 6U and 5E Variants.
I see here quad UAC5 or Quad AC5 with enough ammo and cooling on cockpit hight and decent room for backup weapons.
The 6U variant will have good elevation/nick cappacity for quad UAC5 or AC5.
Both the 5 and 6U can be upgraded with lightEngine while still carrying 4 ACs.
The 5E Variant may carry dual LB20X with Quad SRMs or Quad MRMs ... ciao Atlas for good.

What realy will make or break the mech will now be its Geometrie implemented by PGI and its torso turn and nick stats.

View Posta gaijin, on 06 January 2018 - 04:11 AM, said:

Fafnir didn't impress me at all in MW4 and doesn't here either. It'll make a nice, large target though.
Just like King Crabs, Dire Wolves, and Annihilators do Posted Image
I'm really not impressed by anything that's got a max speed under 64 Kph.

Meet my Anni and say that again I'm thrilled to see the outcome.

Edited by The Basilisk, 06 January 2018 - 04:39 AM.

#13 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:59 AM

100 ton IS assault check
ecm check
dual heavy guass check
3-6 energy backup check
all high mounts check

I'd say it's sort of the last thing mwo needs right now and should sell like hot cakes.
On theb right side, it adds a bit more diversity to Faction Play, no more 12x annis waves but instead fafnirs.. yay.. *barf*

Would you like to buy a 'mech-pack?
I'm with whatthecrapisthis, no content? no monehs. Jule 28th, 2016 was my last purchase, no 'mech-pack, no amoungt of bs hardpoint OPness will convience me otherwise. When PGI actually adds content instead of cutting i may consider to open my wallet again, until then it stays closed.

#14 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:48 AM

For me most people here forget one of the most important point in the which-side-is-op-debate:

Speed.

Play as IS Conquest in FP against Clanners and you will see what i mean. But not only that. The homogeneity of the Clan speeds allow them fast to regroup, fast maneuvers and the worst of all: running away while sniping (e.g. Polar Highlands)

And we run after them with what? Mauler with 60 kph, Atlas with 60 kph and Fafnir with...that's right...60 kph. No, thanks.

Another result of the homogeneity speed of Clanners is, that even unskilled pugs are able (without knowing!) to move in formation or come to the fight at the same moment.

For IS it is really difficult to manage these things, even in our unit we have problems when we drop with different mech speeds in the same wave. The difference on IS is too big...a IS medium can easily run about 100-120 kph, while you run after them in a Mauler, Atlas, Fafnir with....yeah...60 kph!

For comparison: Pug Stormcrow is just pushing W and walks forward. Pug Marauder 2c makes the same and guess what...they are automatically in the same line. Now look at Fafnir and Bushwacker....you need really focus also on these little things that Fafnir and Bushwacker move with the same speed and arrives at the same time.

And it becomes more difficult when the fight starts, there are shootings and noise around you and then are fast orders incoming because there were only 3-4 Clanners at this point of the map and we have to hurry to attack the next line...because we all know that Clanners are not standing in a tight ball like IS is doing. Clanners normally are spread all over the map because they have speed advantage and can quickly move to another position. But the Mauler, Atlas and Fafnir can not make a fast maneuver with Bushwacker like Marauder 2c, Executiner and Kodiak can with the Stormcrow.

So i would like to see no more of these 100 tons, below 60 kph mechs...they are mostly useless. Speed is life and because of that, IS Heavies are the way to go and the only assaults which are useful are the ones with higher engine ratings: Cyclops, Battlemaster, Banshee and so on.

I would buy a Fafnir with 360-400 engine rating, but 325? Thats hard.

Edited by Bishop Six, 06 January 2018 - 07:51 AM.

#15 TKG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 06 January 2018 - 01:54 AM, said:

There's always one or a dozen when it's an IS mech.
It's great to watch them squirm when said mech is good. *looking at you Bushwhacker*

Indeed, I recall folks saying the same when the assassin, hellspawn and osirus were up for pre-order. Guess what, it didn't change anything at all, the mechs still sold you still see them being played and realistically unless those folks can get a few hundred folks on the forums saying the same in one thread....it's useless complaint.

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 06 January 2018 - 06:59 AM, said:

I'd say it's sort of the last thing mwo needs right now and should sell like hot cakes.
On theb right side, it adds a bit more diversity to Faction Play, no more 12x annis waves but instead fafnirs.. yay.. *barf*

Would you like to buy a 'mech-pack?
I'm with whatthecrapisthis, no content? no monehs. Jule 28th, 2016 was my last purchase, no 'mech-pack, no amoungt of bs hardpoint OPness will convience me otherwise. When PGI actually adds content instead of cutting i may consider to open my wallet again, until then it stays closed.

I have to agree with your first point, the Fafnir will sell well on misguided nostalgia alone. Which is probably why PGI did it's pre-release in January, when sales tend to tank economically peaking. Given the host of perfectly good assault mechs we could have had like say the Pillager as a counter for the Kodiak we're instead getting the Steiner Penile amplification mech. On your second point, I find it hard to take whathecrapisthis seriously since he complains about a lack of content but does not specify what kind of content he is expecting.

View PostBishop Six, on 06 January 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

For me most people here forget one of the most important point in the which-side-is-op-debate:

Speed.

So i would like to see no more of these 100 tons, below 60 kph mechs...they are mostly useless. Speed is life and because of that, IS Heavies are the way to go and the only assaults which are useful are the ones with higher engine ratings: Cyclops, Battlemaster, Banshee and so on.

I would buy a Fafnir with 360-400 engine rating, but 325? Thats hard.

I agree with the majority of what you've said, I agree it would have been better to have a more agile assault mech out of the box, some potential examples are below.

Charger (it was already abnormally fast for it's size anyway but it should include the much improved upgrade versions)
Beserker (runs at about 65 + has masc to go 85)
Pillager (56 but has jj and with speed tweak easily 60kph+ counter for the Kodiak anyone?)
Marauder II (+speed tweak easily 60+),
Cerberus (gausszilla move on over.),
Templar (hey it makes just shy of 65 and we are in fedcom civil war era and it's an MW4 mech....plus dem armsheilds are HUGE)
Imp (yeah I know it looks like the final form of the urbie...but it could make 60+ with speed tweak)

Lets be honest here, the faffy is the ultimate embodiement of the sterotypical steiner ego, speed means nothing, armor and guns are everything. The Fafnir is literally a mech version of the British Tog II, yes it could potentially win the day, but the nature of war changed by the time it was introduced so it's still functionally obsolete unless it's paired with a competant team and has a skilled operator. In short it's gonna hemmorage in quickplay and will probably be kinda mediocre in Faction play. Much like the more useful Annihilator once it's out you are gonna see FP teams full of fafnirs....for about two or three weeks then it's going to get religated to the dustbin.

#16 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

Just buy it if you like it. Not worth over analyzing imo.

#17 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 06 January 2018 - 04:38 AM, said:

Meet my Anni and say that again I'm thrilled to see the outcome.

I'd be happy to see you in your Annihilator. I always face them in QP like so: I keep my distance and hit Anni's hard from afar while advising my PUGmates to focus the Anni's first. Generally this works very well. Posted Image

#18 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

Was never a fan of the Fafnir, but over all I'm just disappointed on the timing of it. Another assault mech? Really? Nightstar, Annihilator, the BS SunSpider and now the Fafnir? I'll let the fan boys wet their pants over this but I'll keep the wallet closed again. Nevermind that there are other weight classes that need more attention besides Assault, but there are far better and more worthy mechs that now fall into the 3067 era that I would have shelled out for at least the base pack.

PGI, if you wanted to release all the MW4 mechs... awesome, I'd support that idea.... do it in a single big release then with a'la cart options. Maybe the Civil War mecs should have just be the obligatory MW4 Mech-Pack! Are you just going to forget about the 3055,58 and 3060 TRO's?

I believe the real comedy is going to occur when the mech finally fields though. The fanboys juicing themselves over this thing remember it from MW4, not tabletop. It was a large, beefy mech in MW4...where scale didn't mean a lick. I'd bet its going to look anemic compared to what most are expecting once in game, because if it is as big as it was in MW4... The Fafnir is going to be nothing but the LRM-Magnet of 2018 or that wasted 100 tons on your team due to "that guy" who wants to play the Dual HGR Sniper..... yay....

#19 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

Is there any reason to get the hero? It looks patently inferior to all the other variants, with only 1 ballistic hard point. Am I missing something?

#20 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:12 PM

Hero = 30 % c bill boost, heroes aren't necessarily better because this isn't p2win.

I might get this mech, but it is too slow. Faster than the annihilator, but not by much. Won't use it in faction play except troll drops if I do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users