#61 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:41 PM

So this is bad.

I discovered that I earned the rewards for 4 events which weren't claimed yet... including having earned 7 solo kills for day 2's event, having long since earned day 3's event and two events tying to the new map which I had no idea I had even earned.

Honestly... I think this thing should just auto claim rewards when earned. Sure there's that sense of achievement when clicking "Claim"... but I feel like these are Pepsi caps, you never know if you win unless you punch in the code... and lets be honest who really bothers doing that?

#62 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:44 PM

Many thanks for the easy freebies, happy xmas all !

#63 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:47 PM

Perhaps people took the 'no peeking' statement seriously and didn't look for day 2.

#64 BrunoSSace

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

Mech c-bill discount soon???? Hope its some awesome mechs I have my fingers crossed.

#65 Lovas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:29 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 01 December 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

TSP Owners get an additional 100 K C-Bills Per Daily Challenge Completed.

anyone getting these c-bills? I have not seen them yet. Is it at the end of the event? What am I missing

#66 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

View PostKoniving, on 03 December 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

Honestly... I think this thing should just auto claim rewards when earned. Sure there's that sense of achievement when clicking "Claim"... but I feel like these are Pepsi caps, you never know if you win unless you punch in the code... and lets be honest who really bothers doing that?

I would this be the way it is. There's about two weeks to claim them, and the advantage of not automatically claiming , is in particular when you get premium time, I often play late so it would really suck if I get some premium time just when I would and should stop. Having to choose myself when to activate it allows me to activate it next day, or next time I intend to play more.

Then there's other things, like there still some bugs with the system every now and them, when people can claim and see the rewards being injected, they won't feel uncertainty about receiving the rewards or not. Yes, it only works with the ingame system that way.

View PostLovas, on 03 December 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

anyone getting these c-bills? I have not seen them yet. Is it at the end of the event? What am I missing

Yeah they always get manually done little after the event(5 days?), not automatically after each single completion.

#67 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:46 AM

So this is bad.

I discovered that I earned the rewards for 4 events which weren't claimed yet... including having earned 7 solo kills for day 2's event, having long since earned day 3's event and two events tying to the new map which I had no idea I had even earned.

U can still claim them right? I think it's made this way to avoid complaints about premium time activating immediately. Then again any PT could be banked once claimed.

View PostIron Lemur, on 03 December 2017 - 05:39 AM, said:

Yeah, that's the other thing: the in-game event browser is flaky at best. The behavior I've seen:
1. The past, current, and future events don't get populated. Click on them, and they expand to show nothing.
2. Sometimes even the past, current, and future events don't show up. A day or so ago, I saw only the past tab, when there was clearly future and current events.
3. I can get the thing to reset. I've found that sometimes the event viewer will get populated by moving from one view to another that takes a bit of time (i.e. moving from the mech lab to the faction warfare screen). I don't know if this is because the act of moving from one screen to another forces a data update from the servers, or there's a timing issue that the screen move allows to complete, but there it is. And this isn't reliable, but it's the one thing I can do that seems to sometimes do anything. Sitting in the mech lab waiting for the event viewer to populate never gets me anywhere.

I have been playing on my PC for months and didn't encounter any issues, then I started playing on my old laptop (1366x768, everything low), and the first time I logged in, the News window was an empty orange box with the DISMISS button. Nothing was loading. I clicked on DISMISS, then clicked on the event button, the event window popped up, I clicked on Active, the arrow changed from a down arrow to a right arrow, but nothing else moved.

At that point I realised I was encountering what many others have reported earlier about the Event window, but I've never heard anyone mention the News window being empty either.

I ignored the glitch and went to my mechlab to tweak my mech then I clicked on the event button again, this time I waited, and this time the Active Events row finally expanded and showed the Day 3 Advent challenge. I clicked on it, and the event window was completely empty. But now I waited and then it appeared.

I know for others it may not be a loading issue and something altogether more sinister, but I just wanted to relate my experience going from my powerful PC at home (i7-6700K, 1080GTX) to my old laptop in a hotel (i7-3610QM, 640M). I don't think it's a bandwidth issue as youtube was playing fine at 1080p, and it's not a latency issue as servers were 250/270/10 NA/EU/O, and it seems more like a processing issue on the client side.

#68 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:50 AM

Yeah I can claim them but nothomg really tells me they are there unless I look.

#69 Sleepyboy14

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationChicago, Terra

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:59 AM

Interesting event @Matt, although for January or February in FW could we have the Refusal War event?

#70 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

View PostKodyn, on 03 December 2017 - 01:34 PM, said:

Devnull, if we're handing out intelligence here, shouldn't you start with PGI?

Grow up, get over yourself and your irritating ever-changing sigs/quotes/whatever they are....

Man, your post makes me chuckle. I am already well aware that PGI doesn't think of everything. I'm simply also well aware that they have things of much higher priority to fix. Unfortunately, every time they have to derail from those, even for changing things like the Events Interface, they end up taking way longer to get these high-priority things fixed. :(

Oh, and I had to get over myself to even care enough to post. I could have quit MWO a long time ago, but I didn't because I was in hope that this game would shape into something nice, plus I've got to have something to clear my head of world-induced nightmares. That, and there's limits on what options I have for games, given that tech moves so fast while I'm stuck putting up with a bad economic climate, making usable software hard to come by. ;)

Now, as for all of this...

View PostIron Lemur, on 03 December 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

<<<snip>>>

Wow. That was ... emphatic.

There's nothing on the special events pages about the status of any events other than the one you're currently looking at. If there is more than one event going simultaneously, this is a problem, especially if the duration of events gets changed in mid-flight. The way the page is laid out, with the event advertisement graphic, the navigation links (which are small and easy to overlook) are off screen if I'm looking at the actual event details. You know, the stuff people are going to almost certainly look at first.

So people being unintelligent or lazy or not having studied the website enough or whatever being what it is ... the way the events are presented on the website makes it easy to overlook things like the status (or existence) of two events running simultaneously. If the goal is to present content, this is a flaw. I won't address what PGI should or should not prioritize, but it shouldn't be a mystery as to how people might look at the web site for event info and miss Day 2.

So this is bad.

View PostJames Argent, on 03 December 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

Perhaps people took the 'no peeking' statement seriously and didn't look for day 2.

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 03 December 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

I would this be the way it is. There's about two weeks to claim them, and the advantage of not automatically claiming , is in particular when you get premium time, I often play late so it would really suck if I get some premium time just when I would and should stop. Having to choose myself when to activate it allows me to activate it next day, or next time I intend to play more.

Then there's other things, like there still some bugs with the system every now and them, when people can claim and see the rewards being injected, they won't feel uncertainty about receiving the rewards or not. Yes, it only works with the ingame system that way.

View Postarcana75, on 04 December 2017 - 05:46 AM, said:

U can still claim them right? I think it's made this way to avoid complaints about premium time activating immediately. Then again any PT could be banked once claimed.

View PostKoniving, on 04 December 2017 - 05:50 AM, said:

Yeah I can claim them but nothomg really tells me they are there unless I look.

Okay, everyone... I get that PGI definitely loves long-scrolling pages... And my browser interface is rather modified to meet my usability needs. I've been using FireFox since it's v1.0 days, so I'm always scrolling and viewing entire web pages, instead of focusing on tiny areas. Have the companies making our Web Browsers horribly modified the Scroll Bar while I haven't been looking so that most people simply are unable to find it, unless they have some extension keeping it properly visible? Have people developed so-called "Tunnel Vision" while they're on the web to the point that they forget about anything but what they see right in front of them after they find their target? I think James Argent, who's in my quotes above, may have hit things on the head here, when they posted...

View PostJames Argent, on 03 December 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

...and identified a potential problem, where Matt Newman was sort of joking and didn't really mean for people to take it quite that way. :blink:

~D. V. "I must be oblivious to a scary trend. Has the world become full of lemmings?" Devnull

#71 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:21 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 04 December 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

Okay, everyone... I get that PGI definitely loves long-scrolling pages... And my browser interface is rather modified to meet my usability needs. I've been using FireFox since it's v1.0 days, so I'm always scrolling and viewing entire web pages, instead of focusing on tiny areas. Have the companies making our Web Browsers horribly modified the Scroll Bar while I haven't been looking so that most people simply are unable to find it, unless they have some extension keeping it properly visible? Have people developed so-called "Tunnel Vision" while they're on the web to the point that they forget about anything but what they see right in front of them after they find their target? I think James Argent, who's in my quotes above, may have hit things on the head here, when they posted...
...and identified a potential problem, where Matt Newman was sort of joking and didn't really mean for people to take it quite that way. Posted Image

~D. V. "I must be oblivious to a scary trend. Has the world become full of lemmings?" Devnull

I use firefox..

And I'm talking about the in game event screen that takes 20 seconds to load, then open a current tab that's fairly quick but about 10 seconds to load back to find past events, then for some reason it takes 10 to 15 seconds to load past events. And a couple say "Claim" right there, but others you have to go into them individually with 5 to 10 second loads per thing to see if there's something to claim, about 10 seconds to go back, 5 to 10 to load the next one.

Edited by Koniving, 04 December 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#72 General Pete

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 123 posts
  • Locationny usa

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

OK I have a question about Day 5's challenge. It says 'Get 10 components destroyed in quickplay'. So, is it just me, or is that wording a bit... disconcerting? It sounds to my ear as if we're supposed to go get ourselves shot to pieces on purpose... That can't be right can it?

#73 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:57 PM

View PostGeneral Pete, on 04 December 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

OK I have a question about Day 5's challenge. It says 'Get 10 components destroyed in quickplay'. So, is it just me, or is that wording a bit... disconcerting? It sounds to my ear as if we're supposed to go get ourselves shot to pieces on purpose... That can't be right can it?

Read it as "Get 10 'Components Destroyed' in Quickplay" instead. It means get the "Component Destroyed" end of match bonus 10 times.

#74 General Pete

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 123 posts
  • Locationny usa

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 04 December 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

Read it as "Get 10 'Components Destroyed' in Quickplay" instead. It means get the "Component Destroyed" end of match bonus 10 times.

Thank you thank you I feel better now!

#75 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:41 PM

View PostKoniving, on 04 December 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

I use firefox..

Ah... You're aware of Mozilla's mishandling of older users that didn't need their interface turned upside-down then. Yeah, I'm one of 'those' older users. :)

Anyway, on to the serious stuff...

View PostKoniving, on 04 December 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

And I'm talking about the in game event screen that takes 20 seconds to load, then open a current tab that's fairly quick but about 10 seconds to load back to find past events, then for some reason it takes 10 to 15 seconds to load past events. And a couple say "Claim" right there, but others you have to go into them individually with 5 to 10 second loads per thing to see if there's something to claim, about 10 seconds to go back, 5 to 10 to load the next one.

Ah, that interface. Yeah, I've wondered why it takes so long to flip back and forth as well. It's almost like it forgets part of itself in the background and has to reload it. :(

Wait a minute... *facedesk* ... Ah crap, I know what's going on. It just dawned on me while I'm typing this post. They're reloading the list every time somebody pulls it up to view, in order to add the latest data to it. Worse, the longer the list gets, the more time it takes for the MWO Game Client to load it and then format it for display. On top of this, PGI is then failing to display all the Events in proper sorted order of when they were actually added, potentially causing more issues, as well as making it harder to find the one that somebody is looking for. -_-

Yeah, PGI needs to work on refining the feature. I just hope they still get the other long-standing bugs fixed too. :wacko:

As for this...

View PostGeneral Pete, on 04 December 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 04 December 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

View PostGeneral Pete, on 04 December 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

Thank you thank you I feel better now!

Hello, General Pete... You can also read it as "Destroy 10 Components off of Enemy Mechs, thereby earning 10 'Component Destroyed' Bonuses, in Quick Play", if that makes it more easy for you and others to understand. I hope this description might help. ^_^

~D. V. "Events... Components... It gets rather 'piecemeal', doesn't it?" Devnull

#76 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 04 December 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

You can also read it as "Destroy 10 Components off of Enemy Mechs, thereby earning 10 'Component Destroyed' Bonuses, in Quick Play", if that makes it more easy for you and others to understand. I hope this description might help. Posted Image

Nope that's definitely a "get 10 components destroyed", and not a "destroy 10 components" mission.

Don't bring armor, load up with LRM amo, and allow me to demonstrate.

#77 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:52 PM

Dumb question (perhaps?): Does the CT (and Cockpit) also count as a component? If I kill the ST, does the arm count, too?

#78 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:58 AM

is that the angry clanman's "stay frosty" edition camo?

#79 General Pete

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 123 posts
  • Locationny usa

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:05 AM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 04 December 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

Nope that's definitely a "get 10 components destroyed", and not a "destroy 10 components" mission.

Don't bring armor, load up with LRM amo, and allow me to demonstrate.

See that's what I thought it meant! lol

View PostD V Devnull, on 04 December 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

Ah... You're aware of Mozilla's mishandling of older users that didn't need their interface turned upside-down then. Yeah, I'm one of 'those' older users. Posted Image

Anyway, on to the serious stuff...

Ah, that interface. Yeah, I've wondered why it takes so long to flip back and forth as well. It's almost like it forgets part of itself in the background and has to reload it. Posted Image

Wait a minute... *facedesk* ... Ah crap, I know what's going on. It just dawned on me while I'm typing this post. They're reloading the list every time somebody pulls it up to view, in order to add the latest data to it. Worse, the longer the list gets, the more time it takes for the MWO Game Client to load it and then format it for display. On top of this, PGI is then failing to display all the Events in proper sorted order of when they were actually added, potentially causing more issues, as well as making it harder to find the one that somebody is looking for. Posted Image

Yeah, PGI needs to work on refining the feature. I just hope they still get the other long-standing bugs fixed too. Posted Image

As for this...

Hello, General Pete... You can also read it as "Destroy 10 Components off of Enemy Mechs, thereby earning 10 'Component Destroyed' Bonuses, in Quick Play", if that makes it more easy for you and others to understand. I hope this description might help. Posted Image

~D. V. "Events... Components... It gets rather 'piecemeal', doesn't it?" Devnull

Thanks DV, clearly my brain is melting

#80 dominikabra

• PipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:43 AM

View PostBrunoSSace, on 03 December 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

Mech c-bill discount soon???? Hope its some awesome mechs I have my fingers crossed.

I hope so! Matt said "early December" and we're almost a week into it! Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users