Button Repeating Macro Okay?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Potatomasher69

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:47 AM

Some problems with my mouse hand have lead me to invest some time in intellegent use of mouse macro's to make things easier for me. Am I allowed to;

-Have a mouse button that toggles on/off for tag?
-Have a repeater mouse button that chain fires lots of AC2's quicker then I can press?

This stuff is done with the software that came with my mouse, not some elitehackerman69 software or anything.

#2 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:52 AM

Any type of macro is legal to use for any purpose.

#3 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:56 AM

From the CoC:

Keybind macro software and hardware mechanisms are permitted for use as long as such mechanisms still require manual input to initiate and do not fully automate gameplay.

Both of the things you mentioned are acceptable for the game.

#4 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

Macros are allowed in MWO. As such, macro away!!!

To the Mods,

Given that the OP's questions have been answered, it might be a good idea to now close this thread before the high-and-mighty anti-macro crusaders start spreading their silly and highly misinformed gospel.

Edited by Mystere, 06 December 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#5 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:18 AM

Yeah man, twist or quell that free speech.

#6 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:19 AM

View PostMystere, on 06 December 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

Macros are allowed in MWO. As such, macro away!!!

To the Mods,

Given that the OP's questions have been answered, it might be a good idea to now close this thread before the high-and-mighty anti-macro crusaders start spreading their silly and highly misinformed gospel.

Closing a thread before we get a chance to tell the anti-macro crowd that they are flat out wrong again? That's no fun.

#7 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

Now, Mystere, before you attempt to goomba me for what I am about to say, let me say this. I am ok with some macros, such as the TAG toggle. However, I am not a fan of macros that allow the player to bypass balance mechanics, such as Gauss charge. Those macros should be banned.

#8 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

If the medical problems are genuine, and I'm not saying their not, there are a few out there that can help.

Otherwise I'm on the side of no macros... ever...

#9 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:46 AM

View PostPotatomasher69, on 06 December 2017 - 06:47 AM, said:

Some problems with my mouse hand have lead me to invest some time in intellegent use of mouse macro's to make things easier for me. Am I allowed to;

-Have a mouse button that toggles on/off for tag?
-Have a repeater mouse button that chain fires lots of AC2's quicker then I can press?

This stuff is done with the software that came with my mouse, not some elitehackerman69 software or anything.

Why would you need to press (I assume you mean repeatedly) for chainfired AC's? You just keep the buttion pressed.

#10 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 06 December 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

Closing a thread before we get a chance to tell the anti-macro crowd that they are flat out wrong again? That's no fun.

I've got a bad cold. I'm in no mood for "fun". <shrugs>

#11 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:28 AM

I think as long as it's only performing one action type you're in the clear. Where Macros run into trouble is when it's one button to do a series of different actions. Like if you set up a macro where one button fired your guns and then torso twisted your mech that would be cheating.

Edited by Jman5, 06 December 2017 - 11:29 AM.

#12 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:44 AM

View PostJman5, on 06 December 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

I think as long as it's only performing one action type you're in the clear. Where Macros run into trouble is when it's one button to do a series of different actions. Like if you set up a macro where one button fired your guns and then torso twisted your mech that would be cheating.

That's not cheating. That's just like being a Minbari of the Religious Caste. Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 06 December 2017 - 11:47 AM.

#13 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:46 AM

View PostMystere, on 06 December 2017 - 11:44 AM, said:

That's not cheating. That just like being a Minbari of the Religious Caste. Posted Image

Hah, I've been binge-watching Babylon 5 over the last few months. Great show.

#14 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:49 AM

View PostMystere, on 06 December 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

Good idea... Mystere cannot handle The Truth and gets embarrassed when confronted by it.

That being said, as the OP has a medical impediment. I for one - speaking in my capacity as leader of the Players Who Don't Rely On Crutches - are perfectly ok with the OP using macros given his circumstances.

;)

#15 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostXiphias, on 06 December 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

From the CoC: Keybind macro software and hardware mechanisms are permitted for use as long as such mechanisms still require manual input to initiate and do not fully automate gameplay.

So enabling tag on/off is legal because its a single action but automating fire isnt... Got it.

Edited by DAYLEET, 06 December 2017 - 01:18 PM.

#16 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:25 PM

View PostAppogee, on 06 December 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

Good idea... Mystere cannot handle The Truth and gets embarrassed when confronted by it.

That being said, as the OP has a medical impediment. I for one - speaking in my capacity as leader of the Players Who Don't Rely On Crutches - are perfectly ok with the OP using macros given his circumstances.

Posted Image

If you were to use macros because you have a disability, no one would hold it against you as long as its still in the legal realm. Anyone else just do it to get an edge, they wouldnt do it if they didnt get an edge by doing something they can't physically do or dont want to practice and get good at.

Edited by DAYLEET, 06 December 2017 - 01:27 PM.

#17 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

The only macro that's worth a damn if you ask me is the TAG toggle. Quickly chainfiring your AC/2s, while it sounds and looks impressive, isn't really that great. If you've got a pile of AC/2s, you're still limited by the cooldown of the weapon as far as DPS goes. Whether you're holding down the trigger and just repeatedly alpha striking with them or you're letting a macro stagger them for you is not going to increase your DPS. I view the AC/2 macros as pretty much just aesthetic.

Edited by Mole, 06 December 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#18 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:44 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 06 December 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

Now, Mystere, before you attempt to goomba me for what I am about to say, let me say this. I am ok with some macros, such as the TAG toggle. However, I am not a fan of macros that allow the player to bypass balance mechanics, such as Gauss charge. Those macros should be banned.

No one with any skill does that, its counter productive and results in lots of wasted Goose shots. Potentially into the backsides of your teammates.

View PostMole, on 06 December 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

The only macro that's worth a damn if you ask me is the TAG toggle. Quickly chainfiring your AC/2s, while it sounds and looks impressive, isn't really that great. If you've got a pile of AC/2s, you're still limited by the cooldown of the weapon as far as DPS goes. Whether you're holding down the trigger and just repeatedly alpha striking with them or you're letting a macro stagger them for you is not going to increase your DPS. I view the AC/2 macros as pretty much just aesthetic.

I can fire much faster with my fingers then chain fire by holding it down in this game. Try it for yourself, Chain Fire is often times much slower. Using mouse 1 and 2 and splitting your weapon groups ,even without a macro, is way faster.

Edited by Revis Volek, 06 December 2017 - 04:43 PM.

#19 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:59 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 06 December 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:

No one with any skill does that, its counter productive and results in lots of wasted Goose shots. Potentially into the backsides of your teammates.

I can fire much faster with my fingers then chain fire by holding it down in this game. Try it for yourself, Chain Fire is often times much slower. Using mouse 1 and 2 and splitting your weapon groups ,even without a macro, is way faster.

I never said that chainfire was faster than a macro. The macro is absolutely faster. I am going to repeat myself though and tell you that your macro does not increase your DPS because whether you are firing all your cannons at once or in a stagger because each cannon is still limited by a 0.72 second cooldown. If I'm firing all my cannons all at once by just holding down the button the only functional difference is that I am choosing to deliver all my damage in one single blow rather than spreading it out over however long it takes to cycle through all my cannons. Either way you tear it, the weapons are still getting fired as quickly as the game will allow, which is every 0.72 seconds. Whether or not you want to use a macro for it is purely a choice of whether you prefer to lean a little more toward PPFLD or more toward creating a constant stream of hot lead. There are arguments to be made for both. Using the macro makes your presence more psychologically impactful to your target and is better at supression, but if your target is decent at twisting your damage is going to spread more. Alpha striking them, on the other hand, means that when I fire a shot, all my damage is going into the same component. But since my rate of fire it slower, it will suppress the target less. Personally, I prefer my AC/2 spam to lean more toward PPFLD. So I don't use the macro.

#20 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:40 PM

View PostMole, on 06 December 2017 - 04:59 PM, said:

I never said that chainfire was faster than a macro. The macro is absolutely faster. I am going to repeat myself though and tell you that your macro does not increase your DPS because whether you are firing all your cannons at once or in a stagger because each cannon is still limited by a 0.72 second cooldown. If I'm firing all my cannons all at once by just holding down the button the only functional difference is that I am choosing to deliver all my damage in one single blow rather than spreading it out over however long it takes to cycle through all my cannons. Either way you tear it, the weapons are still getting fired as quickly as the game will allow, which is every 0.72 seconds. Whether or not you want to use a macro for it is purely a choice of whether you prefer to lean a little more toward PPFLD or more toward creating a constant stream of hot lead. There are arguments to be made for both. Using the macro makes your presence more psychologically impactful to your target and is better at supression, but if your target is decent at twisting your damage is going to spread more. Alpha striking them, on the other hand, means that when I fire a shot, all my damage is going into the same component. But since my rate of fire it slower, it will suppress the target less. Personally, I prefer my AC/2 spam to lean more toward PPFLD. So I don't use the macro.

lol

So i guess you didnt understand what i said, cool.....

Everyone know whats you are saying. But what IM saying is that holding down the button in chainfire is not as fast as mashing it so you were not entierly correct...

and yes PPFLD is king in any shooter. Putting out more dmg then your take in is about as simple as it gets even children understand it. We all know the limits of the weapon its listed right in the mech lab.

But awesome talk dude.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users