Proving Lrms Are Good, Again.

466 replies to this topic

#1 JRcam4643

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

LRMs have always been pretty good for me and I'm convinced they could be for anybody. A lot of people like to hate on them and claim they are no good but really it's more cause they are afraid of LRMs. I'm satisfied this video proves they are good.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

They're great...when the stars align.

When the stars don't align you're gonna have a bad time.

It's the reason why lock-on missiles in MWO (including Lurms) have needed to be redesigned for years. They're way too much of a feast or famine weapon.

Edited by FupDup, 03 December 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#3 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:20 AM

FFS.

#4 Composite Armour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:21 AM

lol

#5 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:24 AM

The following screenshot proves that I am the best player in the world... oh right... no it doesnt! I just had a good day. (In fact I killed Proton two times in a row in two consecutive games. It was really a lucky day for me Posted Image)

Posted Image

@OP
LRM suck and there is nothing in the world to change that.
If you want to prove anything then lets do a few 1vs1.
You with LRM and me with my favourite MAD-IIC build (2x HLL 6xMPL)
A few lucky games do prove narda, zero, null.

Edited by Antares102, 03 December 2017 - 11:33 AM.

#6 -Mean Machine Angel-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:28 AM

See kids..NEVER DO CRACK THEN POST

#7 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:38 AM

Rank Percentile Games Played W/L Ratio Survive Rate K/D Ratio Average Score Adjusted Score Progress Overall: 20813 54% 2903 0.87 33% 0.76 213 208.6

This is what I offer as proof to disregard your statement.

Edited by tker 669, 03 December 2017 - 11:41 AM.

#8 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,827 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

Sorry mate but lrms are only good at extreme niche situations and even in such situations it's better to use direct fire weapons, even ATM's are a better option as you can use them reliably more, and still keep direct fire advantage.

#9 Mothermoy

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

lurm haters gonna hate. If you can see the map like a chess board, and know where to be....lurms are devastating. They take away territory that the enemy can use. A good lurm player forces the enemy team to stay near cover, thereby eliminating vast stretches of territory they can use to pop tart, hillcrest and so on. A good lurm player will punish that out of position med-heavy-assault at times killing them. Lurms however are not made to 1 v 1 me bro kthanxbai......lol, they are a team based weapon. Lurms 4EVA

#10 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:50 AM

Endless forum salt in five, four...

Seriously, missiles spread damage. This means to get any level of efficiency, the worse spread becomes, the more missiles you have to toss at something to compensate.

You deal 693 damage and zero kills in the first match. On Polar, with LRM 70, arguably the most easy LRM map in the game. You also don't show a comparison of how the rest of your team did- like the guy with the OTHER kinda missiles, lobbing ATMs next to you. It's not a bad game, but it doesn't show how well you did versus, say some other guy that might have gotten 1000+ and five kills next to you. You had no pressure on you the entire game, and your team roflstomped the reds 12-3. Worst of all, you commit the cardinal sin of lurming.

You don't go for your own locks and tell people to depend on other people to gib locks.

Game 2, you spend most of your time until the enemy team collapses ineffectively lobbing missiles at extreme range, not even dealing 400 damage and taking no significant damage yourself, hiding from a Shadow Hawk who's dueling your 70 tubes with....three LRM 5s. Again, your team roflstomps the enemy, and there's no way to see who actually did the work.

Game 3, despite multiple alpha strikes on your opponent, he doesn't get past yellow armor and of course, you're pulped.

Game 4, most of your damage is on the VIP- which being a dumb AI, won't seek cover.. If you'd backed up, you'd have done more damage to the Atlas, but minrange damage reduction kicked in.

Game 5, you manage to massacre a DC (note he doesn't move an inch while you dump hundreds of missiles on him). Then, you run around in circles in the back while your team actually demolishes the enemy base, though you do manage to beat on the Mauler.

This is proving LRMs are good how?

#11 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

Seriously, if you want to say "LRMs are good", at least post good games with LRMs.

Posted Image

Orion IIC, LRM60 with Artemis and 2 ERMLs. It's called "be aggressive, actually get into effective range (read: 500m), and only use indirect when you can't find a clean shot otherwise".

#12 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

The biggest issue with LRM's are people that sit back and use the extreme range. They are great weapons as second line, just behind brawlers. Lobbing them over the heads, especially in tight lanes when normally you couldn't fire because you hit your teammates.

LRM's work best in the 200-600m range. LRM boat leads the push around a corner, soaks up an alpha or two, and lets the brawlers push past with fresh armor.. It takes teamwork, but works well.

They are not comp weapons, but in normal QP, or even FW they can work, especially for folks without epic twitch skills.

#13 Steve Pryde

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

Only one of my following listet things to shutdown you:

- getting close
- ECM (your Mad Dog hasn't even a TAG)
- hard cover
- weapons with more range than your lurms

Or I just kill you regulary with direct fire weapons because I kill u through ct kill in the time where you need to hold locks.

Edited by Steve Pryde, 03 December 2017 - 12:05 PM.

#14 Samedi Wretch

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

I'm sorry to be that guy, but, OP needs to rethink his idea of what a good game is. These are very average to poor numbers (398 dmg and 0 kills?) for any weapon system, especially LRMs, which need to inflate damage to compensate for their spread. Also these maps are very friendly to LRMs.

Edited by samadhiVOID, 03 December 2017 - 12:10 PM.

#15 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:11 PM

Yes please tell me more about these lurms of yours.

Posted Image

#16 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

LRM's can be decent, but that's about it. Too many hard counters, and too easy to simply be focused down while waiting for your missiles to slowly drift across the sky to impact a wall.

Heck, I'm not a great player - too old and not serious enough about gaming in general - but I try to play "good enough" builds, even when playing something fun, like an Awesome 8Q with PPC's. But even I rarely break out the few LRM mechs I have just because they often do so dismally. Some maps hard counter them, some situations, etc. Now and then they work, sure, but it really stings when your LRM mech is a paperweight.

Worse, that assumes best case - I'm not one of those "noobs" who straps 4 LRM15's onto an Awesome and forgets to bring even a single laser as a backup weapon. I also get close enough to share some armor and use direct fire weapons... but many LRM players don't. Too many build silly LRM boats that don't work and hide near LRM maximum range, doing nothing but making pretty explosions on the terrain. Heck, only a few weeks ago I saw a King Crab with 4 LRM15's and nothing else... the bad builds just don't end with LRM's for some reason.

Long story short: best case scenario, you have some decent games with them, which is not much to recommend them.

#17 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:21 PM

LRMs are only good when you have people targeting for you and soaking up damage while you sit back and just point and click like you use ERLL

#18 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:22 PM

Guys, take a breath and distain grom using anymore salt !! We want him to stay in the game........duh.

OP et al.: they, the regular forum pundits, are for the most part right.... "Nod your head up and down and repeat after me: "LRM's cause hives; LRM's cause hives... then click your heel three times and say "there's no place for LRM's, there's no place for LRM's" and magically, you'll become a brawler.........."

Look, I used LRM's all of the time. They can and do work at a low level of real damage. I am a "support pilot" and would love to see LRM's be un-nerf'd and made the combat power and force they can and should be, but, and unfortunately, that won't happen. The brawling community convinced PGI that Solaris is where the real money is....

Convert to ATM's or MRM's and find a play style that lets you do what you want. 2 ATM-12's or 4 ATM-9's w/i their effective range are absolutley devestating....

Hey crew, even I, the super spud grand Potato masher has seen the light........give the new pilot a break; his BP is high enough.

Edited by Asym, 03 December 2017 - 12:25 PM.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:26 PM

View Posttker 669, on 03 December 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

Rank Percentile Games Played W/L Ratio Survive Rate K/D Ratio Average Score Adjusted Score Progress Overall: 20813 54% 2903 0.87 33% 0.76 213 208.6

This is what I offer as proof to disregard your statement.

Try rank for a recent season instead of overall. Some of that time might have been spent using, say... Lasers or ACs or machine guns which would totally throw that score off...

....in bad directions because those weapons are bad. At least according to your own stats.

My point is stats don't really mean ****.

#20 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:28 PM

LRMs like everthing else is situation-based.

They tend to fare better in PUGs then CWs.

Maps like Polar highlands? LRMs will generally win you the match since everybody is scared shitless they'll be the next LRM magnet. That is to say, LRMs are great at scaring people and forcing others into hiding/not pushing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users