Pings

13 replies to this topic

#1 GrimReaper74

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:57 PM

Seems something is off with the servers today.

Usually I have a maximum Ping of 150 on the NA server being EU based. Today it is in the 450 range and I am not the only one having this issue. NA based ppl on the EU server have the same thing.

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:59 PM

I have seen people with 500 or 600 ping. Its getting really bad.

#3 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:10 PM

I just had this happen to me. First time I have ever experienced lag in this game while not connected to oceanic servers. I'm in NA and was on the European servers just a minute ago and my ping was about 500 and there was a noticeable delay in everything I did in between when I pushed the buttons and when the game actually performed the action.

#4 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:14 PM

Im from europe and ping to EU and US servers are 400+ while Ocenia only 200. Normally europe should be about 90 and US about 180 with my connection.
I don't remember what Ocenia normally would be but I guess much more than US, I don't play there normally. Now I have to play only there.

Yet some people have normal pings on US. I haven't seen if anyone has normal pings on europe.

Also I tried pinging some servers of large services and the pings are in about 40 range, which is same class as to my ISPs webserver. Sure I couldn't figure out a server that's quaranteed to be in US and not closer in some CDN.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 06 December 2017 - 03:15 PM.

#5 weywi

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

My pings were at 700-1000 in FW , all european players had bad pings... playing games with that ping is so much fun............

#6 suffocater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 570 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:48 PM

Today was gg to the servers. More disconnects than in a long time on every side.

#7 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

Just play US if you are from there, and ocenia if from elsewhere.

It's actually so funny on Ocenia as nearly everyone has 200-300 ping, with few exceptions.

The problem seems to have been fixed, as I just closed the game, pings to US and europe servers seemed normal.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 06 December 2017 - 06:20 PM.

#8 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:27 PM

Connecting from the EU to the NA server means oceanic cable.

Every once in a great while something will get b0rk3d, be it some international peering servers having a hissy at each other (sometimes not by accident) or because of some random stack-error, or a booster in some part of the cable under a serious depth of water may need replaced. Could be the result of some massive DDoS attack somewhere on the 'net causing mischief. While any of that stuff is being corrected/fixed/whatever, connections get sent long-way 'round, if possible. Often, those longer routes with more hops exhibit problems with multiple issues (ping, latency, jitter, packet loss, packet fragmentation...). All you can really do is watch the numbers and maybe try it out in a private group drop and see how playable the game is before dropping elsewhere.

Glad you're connection is back to normal! Posted Image

Edited by BlueStrat, 06 December 2017 - 09:37 PM.

#9 Bragg936

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:06 AM

Had 360 ping connecting to the EU servers, im in the uk and my normal is 30. Also got booted to login alot

#10 Steve Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,468 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:13 AM

Played some games yesterday(depends on the timezone lol) and had lag spikes too.

#11 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:21 AM

View PostBlueStrat, on 06 December 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

Connecting from the EU to the NA server means oceanic cable.

But connecting from europe to "europe" server should not result in ping of 400. There was definetly something else off than any sea cable.

#12 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:04 AM

I'm im the UK and normally have a ping of around 40 to the EU server and 100 to the US server. I never play on Oceanic but know that my ping there is usually around 300.
Last night I had a ping of 300+ to the EU server.

#13 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:47 AM

If you see me around, you will notice my pings around 300 ms to 450 ms.

#14 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:38 AM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 07 December 2017 - 03:21 AM, said:

But connecting from europe to "europe" server should not result in ping of 400. There was definetly something else off than any sea cable.

Absolutely correct and agreed, and why I listed a number of other not-unreasonable-to-suspect possible causes other than an undersea cable problem in my post you replied to. There are any number of possible causes. I was just pointing out a few of the higher-likelihood possibilities and suggesting a possible simple method to verify the connection is minimally-stable enough by dropping with a private group first before dropping straight into a normal match and possibly finding yourself glitching, disco'ed, horribad hit reg, etc etc.

P.S. - I wish online game studios would bother to include a small little widget with netstat-like bare-bones capabilities and a tiny UI a player could use to troubleshoot connection-related issues, identify the 'best' server to use right now, and provide info like how many hops to the game server right now, how bad is jitter and packet loss, etc etc connecting through to this server. I'd think it would be highly useful for players

Edited by BlueStrat, 07 December 2017 - 06:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users