Damn, that Locust hit the gym.

#42 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

View Postdavoodoo, on 09 December 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

No warhammer however can run 4x lurm15 or similiar.

Also 30 tons of pod space with maxed armor, gauss being 12 tons will give us 6 tons left, if you put 4 erml you have 2 tons left for ammo, yeah thats not gonna work.

With 3 ERML you have 3 tons for ammo. Pull 19 additional points out from places for 3.5 tons. That's 42 rounds after skill tree, now, which is enough for a match..

EBJ can't do this, it's even more constrained at 65 tons and only gets 36 shots OR drops to 44 damage. NTG is better, as long as you are willing to put up with the mobility limitations, but if you're not then this is it.

On the other hand replace hppc with guass on catapult k2 and you have sun spider.

Not especially. K2 only gets to 40 damage-ish that way. And it's way hotter. And still slower.

Even the Jester can't compete. Take the Sunspider Hero and you can fit a Gauss, a Heavy Large, and four ERML into it for a nice 61-damage poke. And that's only 22 tons for weapons and 24 shots, I've got another 8 tons for DHS. So now I've got 21 DHS on there?

Joy.

#43 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:07 PM

So which side is the front? Posted Image

#44 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:19 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 09 December 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

Damn, that Locust hit the gym.

Posted Image

View PostYeonne Greene, on 09 December 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

Not especially. K2 only gets to 40 damage-ish that way. And it's way hotter. And still slower.

Because its is tech...

#45 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:24 PM

View Postdavoodoo, on 09 December 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

Because its is tech...

And not enough hardpoints.

The qualitative performance is so different that they aren't especially comparable.

#46 BoldricKent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

In presentation it was said, it will have really long legs, which might indicate it will be like Grasshopper, slender and tall,
which would be a bit of departure from clan new tech, which are all rather compact. Size will decide what kind of mech it will be.
Large legs dont do much favor in a brawl .

#47 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:27 PM

-- Dual UAC10+ quad ERMlasers
-- Quad ASRM6+ UAC20
-- 6xASRM6
-- 5ERLLaser
-- Dual Gauss + Quad ERMLaser

And everything on cockpit level or higher on a chicken walker with speed at ~90kph if quirked.

And now we remember the last IS mechs up to Resistance II...ok the Annihilator was good....and oh well...

#48 Teslacoil

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:34 PM

Bleh. Would've preferred any canon mech over that... thing.

#49 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:46 PM

With 3 ERML you have 3 tons for ammo. Pull 19 additional points out from places for 3.5 tons. That's 42 rounds after skill tree, now, which is enough for a match..

EBJ can't do this, it's even more constrained at 65 tons and only gets 36 shots OR drops to 44 damage. NTG is better, as long as you are willing to put up with the mobility limitations, but if you're not then this is it.

ebon jag can do dual gauss, 3 cerml, 3 tons ammo

because the ebon jag strips armor off one arm

the ebon jag saves a ton and a half or so by not having to armor both arms

the sunspider has to armor both arms though, unless you drop down to just 2 lasers

really the sunspider doesnt do anything that other clan mechs couldnt already do. depending on hitboxes it might be slightly better than the ebon jag... but its not worth paying $35 for.

holding the energy hardpoints hostage behind a hero mech paywall was a pretty dirty move even for PGI

honestly they couldve sold a lot more if it had a 280 engine instead of a 350. a 280 engine wouldve made it one of the best clan pocket assaults.

Edited by Khobai, 09 December 2017 - 04:02 PM.

#50 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

View PostKhobai, on 09 December 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

honestly they couldve sold a lot more if it had a 280 engine instead of a 350. a 280 engine wouldve made it one of the best clan pocket assaults.

We just had novacat.

#51 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:09 PM

I'm awaiting the inevitable LRMx4 + TAG on the Prime. Not.

It's definitely going to have issues if you don't have the Hero, thanks to minimal energy hardpointing. Having only six crits available in each ST means if you want dual Gauss, it's going to be arm mounts. The C reminds me of the Night Gyr missile variant.

#52 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:11 PM

Lol, looks like a giant Clan Locust.

#53 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:11 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 09 December 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

I'm awaiting the inevitable LRMx4 + TAG on the Prime. Not.

I was thinking doing that on c with b arms and putting 2 erml instead.

#54 Gift of the Magi

• PipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 40 posts
  • LocationOrbital Party Platform

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:13 PM

So, the company makes their first stab at creating their own mech...and it's an overgrown Clan Mech Locust named after a breed of camel spiders.

Meh. Could be worse. And I'm fine with the design having a few flaws. All mechs should have a few flaws and quirks.

And what is a Sun Spider? This lovely thing. Yes, they are real.
Posted Image

Edited by Gift of the Magi, 09 December 2017 - 04:16 PM.

#55 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:14 PM

View PostGift of the Magi, on 09 December 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

So, the company makes their first stab at creating their own mech...and it's an overgrown Clan Mech Locust named after a breed of camel spiders.

Meh. Could be worse. And I'm fine with the design having a few flaws. All mechs should have a few flaws and quirks.

2nd, roughneck is their first creation.

#56 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:14 PM

We just had novacat.

the novacat couldnt do the same brawling loadouts the sunspider with a 280 engine could because the novacat doesnt have both FF and ES and it has locked jumpjets. it loses a lot of podspace on those two things.

the sunspider with a 280 engine wouldve been sufficiently different from the novacat. since the novacat is primarily energy based. and the sunspider lacks energy hardpoints but wouldve had more tonnage for ballistics and missile loadouts.

the 350 engine makes the sunspider entirely uninteresting. its just like every other fast clan heavy. but it cant laser vomit as well. oh well.

I just hope in the future clans get less omnimechs with oversized engines. we have more than enough of them now.

Lol, looks like a giant Clan Locust.

I wish it was a super locust

I hope they dont overnerf the pirahna. but they probably will.

Edited by Khobai, 09 December 2017 - 04:25 PM.

#57 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

View PostKhobai, on 09 December 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

the novacat couldnt do the same brawling loadouts the sunspider with a 280 engine could because the novacat doesnt have both FF and ES and it has locked jumpjets. it loses a lot of podspace on those two things.

the sunspider with a 280 engine wouldve been sufficiently different from the novacat. since the novacat is primarily energy based. and the sunspider lacks energy hardpoints but wouldve had more tonnage for ballistics and missile loadouts.

the 350 engine makes the sunspider entirely uninteresting. its just like every other fast clan heavy. but it cant laser vomit as well.

I wish it was a super locust

I hope they dont overnerf the pirahna. but they probably will.

It would be funny sight indeed with enough tonnage to put 2 uac10 and 2 uac5.
But you would be first one to say its a heavy with too much firepower...

Ill still take more compressed catapult shape clan 70 tonner which can run more than gauss or laservomit though if it wasnt omni i would instantly drop to 300 myself.

Edited by davoodoo, 09 December 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#58 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

But you would be first one to say its a heavy with too much firepower...

its not a problem if its ballistic firepower though. ballistics weigh A LOT of tonnage. and require facetime.

its a problem when its lasers that weigh practically nothing, do massive alphas, and require less facetime.

when you compare the tonnage that goes into laser vomit vs the tonnage that goes into ballistics, and laser vomit is that much better, on top of not requiring ammo... its pretty obvious theres a problem.

laser vomit and probably gauss/laser needs to get knocked down a peg with new ghost heat linkages.

night gyrs can do x3 UAC5 and x1 UAC10. it doesnt really compete with laser vomit though. its too much facetime for too little gain. And then theres the jamming...

Edited by Khobai, 09 December 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#59 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:31 PM

What's this? A Clan Heavy that can do LB20X + SRM6s and doesn't look like somebody duct taped an arm to an angry-looking box? I'm super down.

(Yeah I'm hating on the Orion, fight me Kerensky nerds.)

#60 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

View PostKhobai, on 09 December 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

its not a problem if its ballistic firepower though. ballistics weigh A LOT of tonnage. and require facetime.

its a problem when its lasers that practically weigh nothing, do massive alphas, and require less facetime.

when you compare the tonnage that goes into laser vomit vs the tonnage that goes into ballistics, and laser vomit is that much better, on top of not requiring ammo... its pretty obvious theres a problem.

Yeah sure, i remember when kodiak was scary with uac30 before mc2 could do same thing at 10 tons less but lets now put it on 70 ton omni platform meaning you can bring 3 of these + 1 light into fw.
Deathball of...death, nvm.

Direwhale have 50 tons of pod space and this at 30 tons less would have 40 assuming you keep armor on arms for whatever reason.

It would be highly amusing for the first week before inevitable nerf after wave of complaints.

Again im really happy with this design

can do 4 srm4a + lb20x
can do 4 atm9
can do 4 uac2
can do 3 uac5 + ecm
can do dual gauss + ecm
can do dual uac10 + ecm + 4 erml

Though like with all omni good pods are locked behind hero and/or reinforcements.

Edited by davoodoo, 09 December 2017 - 04:40 PM.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users