69 replies to this topic

#61 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

Sounds great to me. I can't understand why MWO had no Dueling game mode up to now. I am glad they made it into a Solaris 7 game mode. More is better. Why would any Mech pilot not want to prove themselves in 1v1 combat? Merc is how I identify with MechWarrior, but maybe I am more Clan than I thought.

#62 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:00 PM

View PostXiphias, on 12 December 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

I think the success of Solaris is going to boil down to population and matchmaking. With enough players you can still makes matches that are fun for both sides even if the players are bad. The problem is if the matchmaker is poor (hopefully with ELO it should be a lot better) or there aren't enough players you will end up with highly imbalanced matches that will drive weaker players away. Fewer weaker players will lead to more uneven matchmaking for the weak players that remain and pretty soon you end up with what happened to FP.

Either way, I'm probably going to play it as much as I can while it's running. I personally don't have a problem losing to players better than myself if it gives me a chance to get better.

Matchmaker?

If Solaris is not based off a ladder system -- and only a ladder system -- where only 1 player gets to the top, what is the point of the game mode?

#63 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

Should be fun to climb the 1V1 leaderboard.

I just want a battle ax thing to run around with and a helmet.

#64 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:14 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 11 December 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:

Of all the things PGI could have invested time and money into, they chose Solaris <sigh>.

So what is your take on Solaris? Are you excited? Does it sound cool? Or are you like me and feeling like its a game mode you will never play?

Game mode I'll never play

#65 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

Out of all the things in MWO, Solaris is what I've been waiting for and wanting the most, all the rest of the game can burn and I'd be fine as long as I had Solaris. I love nothing more than gladiator fights, small scale battles, 1v1s, close matches, and arenas.

PGI's presentation of things they've added for it is very much to my liking. Solaris will really add in something for solo and partner teams to do that isn't just the same old same old. I get tired of only being in a two man team and having to sit around carrying 10 deadweights around. My partner and I could rise through the ranks of Solaris together instead, and when my buddy is offline then I can still keep on going as solo.

I mean, actually getting paid to do 1v1s is a dream come true.

#66 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:21 PM

View PostHumpday, on 12 December 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

I just want a battle ax thing to run around with and a helmet.

The game you are looking for is For Honor. Posted Image

#67 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

View PostMystere, on 12 December 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

Matchmaker?

If Solaris is not based off a ladder system -- and only a ladder system -- where only 1 player gets to the top, what is the point of the game mode?

I'd assume that the ladder is going to try and match players with similar ELO against each other. If you win against players at your ELO then you move to a higher ELO and you play better players. My assumption is that it's not going to match a low ELO player against a high ELO player unless there simply isn't the population to support that.

They score system would still work with random matching, but it would probably drive a lot of weaker players away.

#68 CanadianCyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

I do like the tier system they plan on implementing, but I would like a 4v4 mode. I had a blast playing the test server for new tech which was restricted to 4v4s.

Edited by Funzo, 12 December 2017 - 05:18 PM.

#69 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

I am eagerly awaiting 1v1 and 2v2. Now they need to pull the trigger on 8v8 QP and start work on 1v1v1v1 and 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1.

#70 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:32 PM

In the original Multiplayer Online Battletech back in the early 1990s Solaris 7 was one of the most popular game modes. I rarely visited Solaris; I played MPBT as a DCMS Mechwarrior and started as a lance leader in Benjamin, in the 9th Benjamin Regulars fighting the FedRats in the Draconis March, then succeeded to command in the Rasalhague Military District and led the 17th Rasalhague Regulars against the Lyrans. I enjoyed soldiering more than the Games. I suspect it'll be the same here, especially if faction warfare ever becomes worthwhile and not the hot mess it has been since jump. But I'll drop in the Games once or twice just to see what it's like.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users