New & Low Performer Players Help

10 replies to this topic

#1 BIOHAZARD

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:42 AM

Hi All,

It goes without much talking that there is much imbalance between teams in MWO, lately. One of the reasons for that is low skill level of some players. The game is rather difficult to learn and there is not that many resources available to new players. Perhaps, instead of being toxic to newbies, or complaining about matchmaker, we shoul provide them with some knowledge on how to start in the game?

I am starting this thread as a repository of quickly available wisdom for players, who need help to get going in MWO. Let's have general advice here, success stories, links to good YT channels and such. No complaining, no topic deviations.

Please help to make this thread visible and don't be shy to contribute!!!

The B33f https://www.youtube....6m2dsrLZ3uvbvnQ

Snuggles Time https://www.youtube....joDzwKsYAEK2bHQ

For a comprehensive list of universally working builds for your robots: http://metamechs.com/

And another one: http://mwo-builds.net/

Superhuge forum with tons of threads on 'mech builds (for your mid-term): https://www.mechspecs.com/

#2 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:44 AM

https://mwomercs.com...ew-player-help/

#3 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:42 AM

Thanks. It's refeshing to see something positive....

Being a below average player isn't a choice; nor, would any amount of training improve people with hand handicaps....Unless, PGI figures out how we could intergrate programmable flight sticks into the game so the very few of us only need one hand !

I'll keep this link for the new players I run into.....again, great post !

#4 GabrielSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:48 AM

To me the biggest help is getting to know the top tier players through their streams and the community link is good for that. Just get to know the people and ask questions about the game play, tactics and builds. You'll learn quite a bit and your game will improve.

#5 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:03 AM

Just a quick tip for newbies allways check for the date of the source. With skill tree, engine desync and weapon balance a lot of guides may be outdated or mechbuild at mechspec obsolete.

Some more Links:

Kanajashi`s Tutorials:https://www.youtube....zvQ8eyONcWuGZRw
Beginner tutorials and a lot of usefull tips!

Baradul a.k.a. Molten Metal:https://www.youtube....oscKoodg/videos
Not for complete new players but entertaining, nice builds and more importantly guides how to use the different builds effectively. A good source once you know the basics how to pilot a mech.

Vux:https://www.youtube....tTDFLB8Hi8RvX3w
If you like the basics with more humor.

Edited by Tiewolf, 12 December 2017 - 09:08 AM.

#6 BIOHAZARD

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:09 PM

@Kroete thanks for pointing it out. Just to note: it is not my intention to compete with Training Grounds. I'd like to increase the visibility of such help topics by also having a thread in general discussion. I for once didn't realize there was sth like Training Grounds until recently.

Let me contribute by sharing a bit of my own beginnings story. I started by creating a few new profiles (none of which I am using now), because I wanted to test new, different 'mechs, which I could upgrade. I recall being really bad at this game, making at best 150 match score. I just couldn't figure this out.

Until I finally got me self an Ebon Jaguar on this account and it took off from there. I do not want to recommend EBJ specifically for new players. It is a very good all-round mech. I want to point attention of new players to the fact of how much can a good, all-purpose 'mech do for you in your beginnings. When you are new, you just don't know what works for you. You don't know what battlefield role suits you. And you don't have money to experiment.

EBJ is very good for beginners. It is a fast, survivable heavy that can perform pretty much any role, depending on omni-pods you use.

Any other beginner mechs?

#7 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

Just go with Nova Prime and 4 heavy medium and 2 heavy large.
Shoot once, run, hide, cooldown. Properly executed you will see at least 600-800dmg. You shoot them all at once - it's 80% heat on very hot maps. On cold maps you can shoot twice. Use coolshots is key for fast kills. Or you can use full set of ER-Medium, think its 12x ! Its more range and dmg but most of the time your enemies will turn and you will not hit the same spot with both shots (2 groups needed to not run into ghost heat).

It really burns a hole if you can hit the same spot. If you can shoot into a mechs back, its 1hit.
Or KDK-3 with 4x10AC (not ultra). You can shoot them at once without heat issues - tears big holes.

If you cant pull it off with those setups, you need to improve your movement pattern.
Don't rush ahead, try to circle around your enemies flank, try not to fight multiple mechs at once and dont peak if you know there are many mechs around waiting for you. Be patient but not a coward also.

Tone down your mouse speed for precise shooting. You want to hit the same spot. Use max DPI on your mouse and very low sensitivty ingame for max precision. Getting a GSYNC monitor and 144hz helps too Posted Image Use advanced zoom if you have the time and switch mouse DPI to low if you use advanced zoom and increase DPI if you are not zooming.

Shoot the orange parts first. Take the time to watch the little enemy HUD pictures. If you see red legs, shoot em. Most pilots will drop leg armor for more weapons. A legged mech is a free kill.

Edited by Quandoo, 12 December 2017 - 03:26 PM.

#8 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:22 PM

View PostVooDoo Doll, on 12 December 2017 - 05:42 AM, said:

It goes without much talking that there is much imbalance between teams in MWO, lately. One of the reasons for that is low skill level of some players.

Where do you put yourself on that scale?

View PostQuandoo, on 12 December 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

Just go with Nova Prime and 4 heavy medium and 2 heavy large.

ER Meds pair much better with HLL. The range on HML is 270m, meaning you are wasting your time and heat firing them anywhere near the optimal ofHLL, while the ERML is good to go at 450m.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 12 December 2017 - 03:26 PM.

#9 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:55 PM

View PostVooDoo Doll, on 12 December 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

@Kroete thanks for pointing it out. Just to note: it is not my intention to compete with Training Grounds. I'd like to increase the visibility of such help topics by also having a thread in general discussion. I for once didn't realize there was sth like Training Grounds until recently.

Let me contribute by sharing a bit of my own beginnings story. I started by creating a few new profiles (none of which I am using now), because I wanted to test new, different 'mechs, which I could upgrade. I recall being really bad at this game, making at best 150 match score. I just couldn't figure this out.

Until I finally got me self an Ebon Jaguar on this account and it took off from there. I do not want to recommend EBJ specifically for new players. It is a very good all-round mech. I want to point attention of new players to the fact of how much can a good, all-purpose 'mech do for you in your beginnings. When you are new, you just don't know what works for you. You don't know what battlefield role suits you. And you don't have money to experiment.

EBJ is very good for beginners. It is a fast, survivable heavy that can perform pretty much any role, depending on omni-pods you use.

Any other beginner mechs?

I just started last month, and the first mech I got after researching is the HBR-Prime Laser Vomit build, very very new player friendly and good all-around performer, especially with the ECM.

#10 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:02 PM

My recommendations for new players as far as mechs to learn with/from, from the start until you are ready to branch out:

Commando - grab a couple variants, 1 xl240, a few srm4s and a few ML.
This is the mech every new player should start with in my opinion.

The hitboxes work so it will teach you to roll and dodge damage as well as be very aware of where other mechs are and firing lines are.

It doesn't have crutch damage or ammo capabilities - this means you will learn straight out of the gate how to put shots on target.

IS Hunchback-4SP - 2 SRM6, 5 ML, STD250, then XL275 + upgrade to artemis

This is simply the next step in progression. Same situation with great hitboxes, still doesn't have crutch damage or ammo.

Thunderbolt-5SS - all MPL

I would actually change up your current style a little going into heavy to help you learn about PPFLD/Laser spam as well as the benefits of using a shield arm/side to engage proficiently in forced close range brawling. This mech does have crutch-type damage output, but offset by a need for hopefully acquired positioning and aiming skills.

Mauler-Mx90 - 4 AC5, 2 AC2
Learn the joys of autocannons, then still have a mech you can mix and match loadouts with afterwards to learn how to mix the 3 FLD weapon platforms.

---
Personally I wouldn't even recommend clan mechs to new players, there's just too much crutch involved with most of them and it ends up teaching bad habits from the onset. I'd suggest using these 4 chassis/variants and general builds in this order until you get good with them to the point you are securing at least 300 damage and 1-2 kills per match before moving on to the next.

Completely skip ECM + LRMs until you are decently good with all these mechs.

Once you have gotten through all that, then start branching out into other models and weapons variations - I'd suggest starting with different chassis in the same lines first, but at the very least DON'T SELL YOUR ENGINES OR WEAPONS. Just keep them sitting around so you can swap things about until you get absolute final builds to your liking.

Lastly - find your R key. It's just as important as your fire key.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users