Net Neutrality

30 replies to this topic

#21 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:02 PM

Just to drop some info here. A couple days ago I heard that Comcast is purchasing HULU, and Disney purchased Fox.

Also Multiple states are now suing the FCC and a probe into obstruction of justice is being launched on Ajit and several members of the FCC.

#22 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:40 PM

honestly everyone on reddit and various places are overreacting. People are thinking they have to resort to sneaker nets and wireless pirate boxes because of the NN repeal. People need to get a grip.

#23 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:24 PM

View PostHodor72, on 16 December 2017 - 07:57 PM, said:

We are a Republic. You do realized that internet has been around for a long time with out net neutrality. You do realize why other contrives internet are censored and not like ours. Because the government controls it.

Yes, keenly aware. I've been a web services engineer for 25 years now and am extremely well versed in this.

Read my earlier post. Net neutrality was put in place as a result of companies trying to change the game, trying to change the internet that you know. Without it, they'll be able to change the game, and the internet we have now will change.

#24 Hodor72

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:59 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 16 December 2017 - 10:24 PM, said:

Yes, keenly aware. I've been a web services engineer for 25 years now and am extremely well versed in this.

Read my earlier post. Net neutrality was put in place as a result of companies trying to change the game, trying to change the internet that you know. Without it, they'll be able to change the game, and the internet we have now will change.

And how do you think putting the government in charge changes anything or fix that? If a company needs to keep the market (the people) happy to survive then they do their best to give the market what it wants. If a company needs to keep government happy to survive they do their best to keep the government happy not the market.

#25 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:29 PM

Net neutrality is not the government in charge of the internet, any more than telling companies that they cannot sweeten food with powdered lead is controlling the confectionary industry.

#26 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:47 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 16 December 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

Well there are those who believe that communication and information are central to the ideals of a democracy. One must judge carefully the effect of restricting access to the ability to give and receive opinions and news, which is a big part of the open internet. Not that the US internet would instantly become like Iran's internet, but it can be argued that there is a slippery slope there.

this implies that all you see in the net is free of manipulation which it isn't I bet a majority of people isn't even able to get proper and true information about all the information presented. And with googles search algorithms most people don't even get an unbiased result and are able to find the information they look for. They will just find something and aren't able to know the shown content is facts or not. So thing net is neutral atm is already an illusion. if you do not know where to find very specific information you will probably not find them unless they are "mainstream" enough to end up on top results of search engines.
Companies still control what happens in most areas, because companies write the news, companies are google butting your search results one etc .... . The internet s already so far manipulating the masses that you hardly can talk of "neutrality". The majorityof users are far away from even ever going to find unbiased information. They just "google" stuff and accept whats within the first pages results.

#27 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:32 AM

Does anyone not think your Cable company, the one that delivers your internet, the same one that hits you up with nickle and dime fee's, ups your bill with new ways to charge you, is NOT going to find a way to charge you more for services it delivers?

They offer you different tier cable packages with different channel lineups and different fee's and now they will do the same with the internet.

YouTube? Extra few bucks a month. Streaming movies? Extra few bucks. Gamer? Extra. Social Media? Extra.

#28 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:33 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 18 December 2017 - 05:32 AM, said:

Does anyone not think your Cable company, the one that delivers your internet, the same one that hits you up with nickle and dime fee's, ups your bill with new ways to charge you, is NOT going to find a way to charge you more for services it delivers?

They offer you different tier cable packages with different channel lineups and different fee's and now they will do the same with the internet.

YouTube? Extra few bucks a month. Streaming movies? Extra few bucks. Gamer? Extra. Social Media? Extra.

Indeed, The thing is, they all need to do that at once, otherwise, fee youtube and lose customers because everyone goes to another provider. Tv was a bit different because they generate the content so you cannot switch somewhere else without losing access tot hat content..
But then they could alternately just increase prizes for EVERYONE and not charge for youtube. But then would it be fair for the guy not watchign youtube havign to pay that in a cross calculation?
Why did no one screamed in germany as ahrd when Tv made themselves up to HD and people have to pay for HD TV? What if we could make youtbe staged so that HD and above costs extra but the rets remains as it is?
Honestly you cannot expect this to an open end rssource consumption platform without having to pay directly or indirectly for it. Esepcially when I see how much crap people post on YT with their face on just talking for an hour. This does in my book violate any information/byte ratio.

#29 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:49 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 18 December 2017 - 04:47 AM, said:

this implies that all you see in the net is free of manipulation which it isn't I bet a majority of people isn't even able to get proper and true information about all the information presented. And with googles search algorithms most people don't even get an unbiased result and are able to find the information they look for. They will just find something and aren't able to know the shown content is facts or not. So thing net is neutral atm is already an illusion. if you do not know where to find very specific information you will probably not find them unless they are "mainstream" enough to end up on top results of search engines.
Companies still control what happens in most areas, because companies write the news, companies are google butting your search results one etc .... . The internet s already so far manipulating the masses that you hardly can talk of "neutrality". The majorityof users are far away from even ever going to find unbiased information. They just "google" stuff and accept whats within the first pages results.

In the age of Big Data it's a slippery slope alright. But we have to draw a line someplace. And perhaps, i don't know, EDUCATE people on critical thinking skills? We used to do that.

View PostLily from animove, on 18 December 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

Indeed, The thing is, they all need to do that at once, otherwise, fee youtube and lose customers because everyone goes to another provider. Tv was a bit different because they generate the content so you cannot switch somewhere else without losing access tot hat content..
But then they could alternately just increase prizes for EVERYONE and not charge for youtube. But then would it be fair for the guy not watchign youtube havign to pay that in a cross calculation?

They do it already. My cable TV bill had a 3 dollar sports package surcharge included in the cost of basic TV, and I didn't have any sports packages. Just one of the reasons I dropped back to internet only... and helped drive the cable companies need to charge us more for every little thing, because we're deciding we don't want all the things anymore.

#30 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:02 AM

critical thinking is bad, makes people question your actuions, we need more sheeples following the ruling classes hidden behind politicians.

#31 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:06 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 18 December 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

critical thinking is bad, makes people question your actuions, we need more sheeples following the ruling classes hidden behind politicians.

My grandfather was always fond of saying that nobody knew how to call a spade a spade anymore, that somebody else called it a spade and everyone would just nod along. "You gotta be able to tell, is it a spade, or is someone getting paid?"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users