Super Nova/marauder

18 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

I see the 3 has the CT hard points with i guess slightly better quirks? The C has 2 in the ST's which seams pretty helpful with out quirks, but seeing the others are not really quirked to hard, it doesn't seam like that big of a deal no? The one with the ER quirk, is only arms so that doesn't seam all that appealing?

I got enough to pick up a couple if i want, really was thinking the C, and maybe the 3, but unsure.

BTW, the mauder IIC is very popular despite its low hard points, is this just about movement?

PS, cougars the CT's all seem the same so basically the same mech right outside of OMNI 8 quirks?

Edited by JC Daxion, 15 December 2017 - 07:14 PM.

#2 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:08 PM

I am also wondering which SNV variant is the best for laser vomit. Would appreciate some insight too. :)

#3 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

For Supernovas:
It all depends on what you plan on putting in them.
  • Get the C if you want ST mounts and healthy crit space to put heavier stuff in.
  • Get the 3 if you want to mix in lighter stuff up to the cERLL.
  • Get the 1 for best overall laser performance, arms are high enough up that they aren't a factor to worry about.
  • Honestly though, should get a Boiler if you haven't already.
Marauder IIC: high/high enough mounts and mobility are the key things as to why it's popular, in addition to the firepower it can bring.

Cougar: Set of 8s aren't worth it, pretty much just buy one (hero for C-Bill bonus) and make a build with stuff you like using. Keep in mind the side torsos are held together by duct tape that has very little to no grip strength left.

#4 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:32 PM

I love the 1. It has beefy armor quirks on the arms, and having 8 lasers that can be arm aimed is amazing. Eats light mechs that try to circle you, and has a crazy wide firing arc. Practically lets you shoot behind you.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...660fd958a478002

#5 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

ok, a couple more Q's.. what size engine are typically used in them? do you run similar engines in the marauder and supernova? I grabbed the 3 and 1.. But looking at the marauders, was thinking maybe the A, seams like it is kinda flexible, and might be able to get a build i like in it.

I dunno.. I don't have the MC right now for the heroes, so i'm just looking at the C-bill versions.

*edit and if anyone wants to toss up some builds that i can check out, feel free.. :)

@pariah. heh, i didn't look at your build before i made mine, and that was exactly what i did lol

Edited by JC Daxion, 15 December 2017 - 07:16 PM.

#6 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:35 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 15 December 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

BTW, the mauder IIC is very popular despite its low hard points, is this just about movement?

I bought a MAD IIC recently, I don't like it

#7 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:51 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 15 December 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

ok, a couple more Q's.. what size engine are typically used in them? do you run similar engines in the marauder and supernova? I grabbed the 3 and 1.. But looking at the marauders, was thinking maybe the A, seams like it is kinda flexible, and might be able to get a build i like in it.

Most SNVs run exclusively 325XL engines since they can't run any larger and even 325 gives a low top speed and doesn't hold enough heat sinks, the MAD-IIC has a little more flexibility, usually a 350XL or 375XL.

Both mechs are fun, but the MAD-IICs tend to have a little more build flexibility all around.

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:06 PM

SNV runs missiles better though

since it doesnt get giant missile pods added on

#9 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:10 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 15 December 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

[...]
[...]

Relatively HIGH hardpoints and good hit boxes.

#10 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:26 AM

MADII is superior in everyway despite the lesser tonnage.

#11 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:56 AM

In addition to a 325 XL, SNVs can get by with a STD 325.

#12 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:49 AM

DOH stupid me! I was looking at the MKII in smurfy, not the marauder. No wonder why the hard points on the mechs were not lining up..

I guess i need to rethink somethings on variant lol

*edit after looking again, i was thinking the D for a dual Gauss+PPC build, and perhaps the IIC for PPC+lasers? Or is there another one taht would do the laser+PPC better? I see one mount is really high, but the others not so much. Is there one that has Dual high torso mounts for a pair of PPCs?

Edited by JC Daxion, 16 December 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#13 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:52 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 16 December 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

In addition to a 325 XL, SNVs can get by with a STD 325.

There's even a SNV build that uses something like 40 Single Heat Sinks. XD

#14 Fleeb the Mad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 441 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:35 PM

There's really nothing you can do with a SNV that you can't do on a MAD IIC. The chassis are rather similar, with the MAD IIC having more options across its variants and better hitboxes. Not phenomenally better, but better.

The difference between the two is finesse. A MAD IIC can have more straight-line speed, but that doesn't mean a whole lot since it's fairly clumsy with a much more limited torso arc.

I've actually been favoring the SNV-1. I've always found the Supernova's firing arcs with its arm guns to be magical. It's just so much easier to track and keep a bead on a target when all the firepower is in the arms. It's much more comfortable in close quarters, fighting on different elevations and has nothing to fear from mechs that try to out-turn it. The MAD IIC has to keep its torso on-target to use most of its firepower, which has become much more difficult since the engine decoupling.

#15 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:12 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 16 December 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

*edit after looking again, i was thinking the D for a dual Gauss+PPC build

MAD-IIC-D "Menace"

That's what i run on my D, hasn't changed since Marauder IICs were released for C-Bills. When things start heating up cycle in the SRMs (range permitting) with the gauss while laying off the PPC for a bit. Only reason for the TC4 was 4 tons leftover and i wanted quicker paperdoll time LOL. Didn't need extra ammo before skill tree, sure as hell doesn't need it now.

#16 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:28 AM

View PostXetelian, on 16 December 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

First I'll compare the laser vomit ones.

SNV-1
All the weapons are in the arms

MAD-IIC
The real difference here is the Jumpjet and the extra couple DHS vs the difference in speed.

Honorable mention:
SNV-3
Able to Zombie with its Standard Engine.
SNV-C
Can't carry as many DHS but you can fit in an extra JJ.

Now lets compare the ATM boats
SNV-A
Low engine cap means I can pack a lot more ammo and max out an ATM alpha without Ghost heat.

You can fit 4xATM12 but you have to chain fire them and I personally just accept a lower damage ATM setup if I can bring serious laser backup damage.

MAD-IIC-B
No ghost heat on anything. Faster. No JJs

The MAD IIC one that can take ballistics
MAD-IIC-A
The slow version.
MAD-IIC-A
The much faster version, didn't change the ratio of ammo though.

The difference is 5 damage per tap between a UAC10 and UAC5, I personally take the one that can fit the XL engine because speed is very nice in this nascar centric game.

The snipers
SNV-C
Fire 2 at a time .5 seconds after each other, the 4 in the torso are relatively high for peaking.
MAD-IIC-D
ECM isn't as huge a benefit as it used to be but this is a fun sniper mech.

I like the MAD IIC a lot, 68.5 KPH is very nice when you're moving in to vomit lasers. The Zombie SNV is pretty great though and having JJs is really nice as well.

A few of the SNV, not all of them, but a few get 10 CT 10 LT 10 RT structure, which every little bit helps and can be increased with the survival tree.

So some SNV variants can tank a little better than others.

Taken from another post and though it was fine for this thread as well.

I think they're both great but the SNV does have a pretty low engine cap.

#17 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:38 AM

So if I already have the MAD IIC, should I still go for the SNV-1? Considering the fact that I love using laser vomits?

#18 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:53 AM

View PostZh0u, on 17 December 2017 - 01:38 AM, said:

So if I already have the MAD IIC, should I still go for the SNV-1? Considering the fact that I love using laser vomits?

If you feel like leveling up a new mech, then yes.

If you just want to run around in a clan laser vomit assault? Nah you have it covered.

I have mechs that have overlapping roles all over the place, even after the rule of 3 was abolished.

#19 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:03 AM

View PostZh0u, on 17 December 2017 - 01:38 AM, said:

If want to equip JJs for that swap from higher speed to higher mobility, or want to run with a tankier STD engine, then pick up a SNV-1 or SNV-C.

Otherwise, stick with the MAD-IIC.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users