Tier And Psr Reset?

95 replies to this topic

#81 mistlynx4life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:25 AM

Nevermind. I always forget that the main page describes MWO as a tactical shooter. Incentivize what you want players to do, not what they want to do, lol. Sorry for the double-post.

#82 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:42 AM

Tier wipe very bad, as then the MM has less to work with as it has now.

I'm in favour of the upward bias being removed.

Without this crutch, people will slip down to a tier they should be in, after a few months, with less disruption than a complete wipe.

Won't happen though, so this is a pointless reply, to a pointless thread, that duplicates the eight or nine threads on this subject we have each year.

#83 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 19 December 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

It's not thinking. It's knowing they're underperforming.

Cataphracts were good when there wasn't better available. They are no longer good. Tell me, when was the last time you saw, say a Cataphract-2X?

Some models simply have gotten left behind as newer ones do whatever they did, but better. And some people, even when there's C-bill models out there that do the job better are still plugging away in their scrap heaps. I can understand not spending real money- I'm a F2P type myself. But there's some stuff that just should be quietly sold to clear your Mechbay for better.

Why are underperforming? That's the issue. Fix it. CTF-2x should be better with MRM. Try it. Sell "old bots"? Ok. Now sell your whole plot of IS mechs because clan obsoletes them. You're missing the point sir.

#84 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 19 December 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

It's not thinking. It's knowing they're underperforming.

Cataphracts were good when there wasn't better available. They are no longer good. Tell me, when was the last time you saw, say a Cataphract-2X?

Some models simply have gotten left behind as newer ones do whatever they did, but better. And some people, even when there's C-bill models out there that do the job better are still plugging away in their scrap heaps. I can understand not spending real money- I'm a F2P type myself. But there's some stuff that just should be quietly sold to clear your Mechbay for better.

Not to encourage this sort of a digression from the thread topic, but your post must be responded to:

One, (dripping sarcasm font on) There are no “scrap heaps” as all mechs are nearly in perfect balance according to PGI. PGI has stated that the most disparate of performances between chassis is a mere 8% following skill tree. Thus, there is no such thing as truly obsolete mechs. They are all pretty much the same in terms of performance, any difference you see in play is purely anecdotal and just in your head. The data does not lie. PGI would not lie, and certainly their data is the ultimate and infallible source of such conclusions (font off).

Two, tell ya what, if you can convince PGI to refund all SP (GSP, HSP and/or that derived from XP) spent in the course of node-ing out a mech over its life time (including all respecs due to PGI dinking around with quirks and weapons mechanics changes) so that players may apply that refunded SP in the form of GSP to different mechs, then I wil happily sell about two thirds of my mechs. Until then my “scrap heaps” will be played. Because after all PGI says they are nearly perfectly balanced relative to those “newer ones” and PGI knows best.

#85 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

View PostCathy, on 19 December 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Tier wipe very bad, as then the MM has less to work with as it has now.

I'm in favour of the upward bias being removed.

Without this crutch, people will slip down to a tier they should be in, after a few months, with less disruption than a complete wipe.

Won't happen though, so this is a pointless reply, to a pointless thread, that duplicates the eight or nine threads on this subject we have each year.

Disagree on it being pointless. It has relevance with 9 plus threads. Will pgi address it? Probably not though. Pointless in that respect.

#86 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:56 PM

bump

#87 Vyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:12 PM

The biggest issue with this suggestion is not how it is implemented, but if.

PGI never puts effort into anything unless a direct profit can be gained by doing so.

It is not about making the game better -- that is always secondary at best. It is about "What can we sell?"

These suggestions, while coming from a good place, cannot be sold.

#88 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

PSR was pre-leader boards.. now that we have leaderboards, i think those should be used to reset montly.

each month, see where you rank, and your PSR goes up or down. To stop people from tanking, make it go up or down only a certain amount. This way you would have to perform like crab for months on end to really go down in level.. But people that are just not that great would go down, and those that perform well would go up.

say.. take the numbers at 5k players each level.. 1-5k T1, 5-10k t2, 10-15 T3, 15-20 T4, 20+ t5

Not saying these numbers are perfect, but you get the idea.. Something along the lines of using PSR and leader boards to give people levels.. Players at the top of the leader boards are good players,, and so on..

We also don't want players playing just a few bad matches over a few months and tanking their score.. It should be min number of games at X level too.. So someone that just logs in and ends up on a good teams and has 10 good matches isnt suddenly in t1.. just like a bad streak doesnt drop them to t5.

#89 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:01 PM

keep the ideas coming guys! :D

#90 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:25 PM

Why are underperforming? That's the issue. Fix it. CTF-2x should be better with MRM. Try it. Sell "old bots"? Ok. Now sell your whole plot of IS mechs because clan obsoletes them. You're missing the point sir.

low hardpoints

the problem is PGI started giving everything high hardpoints

now everything with low hardpoints (like cataphracts) is even worse

they dug themselves into a hole with that one by making high hardpoints the expected norm

now people wont buy mechpacks unless it has high hardpoints and PGI has no choice but to keep giving mechs high hardpoints lol

PGI has stated that the most disparate of performances between chassis is a mere 8% following skill tree

right... 8%. thats why solaris needs to divide all the mechs into 7 different tiers lolol

the worst part is PGI isnt even attempting to balance anything. theyre just dividing the mechs into 7 tiers to avoid the whole balancing issue.

its ridiculous. they obviously have no intention of fixing underperforming mechs.

Edited by Khobai, 19 December 2017 - 10:34 PM.

#91 Invictus XVII

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:43 AM

View PostKhobai, on 19 December 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

low hardpoints

the problem is PGI started giving everything high hardpoints

now everything with low hardpoints (like cataphracts) is even worse

they dug themselves into a hole with that one by making high hardpoints the expected norm

now people wont buy mechpacks unless it has high hardpoints and PGI has no choice but to keep giving mechs high hardpoints lol

right... 8%. thats why solaris needs to divide all the mechs into 7 different tiers lolol

the worst part is PGI isnt even attempting to balance anything. theyre just dividing the mechs into 7 tiers to avoid the whole balancing issue.

its ridiculous. they obviously have no intention of fixing underperforming mechs.

Cataphracts is still one of my high performers. Because its a mech made for pushing, absolute beasts, and supposed to push right in your face. Not that poke'aroonie bs people stand around doing right before they get steamrolled by cataphracts.

Dont use it for poking. Use it as a paintrain and youll see a very different score.

#92 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:56 AM

if i want a paintrain

cataphract not my first choice :P

#93 Janet Yellen

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:47 AM

Support tier reset for improved matchmaking by giving a like to the below post supported by The Jarl's List data.

If it gets enough likes then PGI might actually implement it.

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6229492

#94 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:48 AM

Holy necromancer batman!

#95 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostKhobai, on 16 December 2017 - 12:23 AM, said:

they should just get rid of personal stats completely for team gamemodes

personal stats alter the behavior of how people play in an entirely negative way

it encourages players to do crap like rush into enemies and facehug them just so they can block their teammates from getting the kill. where the correct way to play would be to not block your teammates so you can all fire at the enemy mech and kill it as quickly as possible.

the only stats that should matter are team stats and how the team performed as a whole. because its ultimately a team based game. and your tier ranking should go up or down based entirely on how much you contribute to your team winning. match score should be reworked as a metric for how much you helped your team.

if you want personal stats, thats what 1v1 solaris should be for.

I am ok with personal stat as long as they stay personal and there was no way to find out someones ranking. I say this because I like to be able to look at my personal stats and see how I am doing or compare my performance in one mech verse another. Also personal stats available to the public are useless without context. I mean if I was to say my ranking was 3,000 what does that mean. 3,000 out of 10,000 players means I am ranked in the top 30% of player however, 3,000 out of 100,000 active players means I am ranked in the top 3%. That's a big difference. Basically without knowing to context of what our ranking means, we have no clue how good a player is or isn't even with access to stats. Also with the Tier structure, it would be very possible for both a Tier 1 and a Tier 5 to share an equal ranking or even have the Tier 5 player have a higher ranking. I mean that Tier 5 player could be the god of Tier 5, but totally suck at Tier 1 levels of play.

As far as PSR, Tiers and all that, I say just remove them from game. Trying to group everyone up by skills doesn't help anyone. If your skill at the game is on the lower end, your not going to improve by playing against weak players, in fact all it is going to do is reinforce bad habits because there is a hell of alot your going to get away against a weak player that you wouldn't get away with against a player with a solid skill set and experience playing at the more competitive levels.

#96 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:09 PM

Honestly they need to go back to Random drops. The new players are not learning playing against other new players. Then use LRMs to race through the tiers as fast as they can. I learned to pilot better because I watched the really good players in the matches. I am by no means an elite pilot but I do pilot better because I was thrown right into the mix when I first started.

Edited by GeminiWolf, 25 February 2019 - 01:11 PM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users