Help Me Question

19 replies to this topic

#1 FaTaLLiMiT

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

Ok, so I just bought first mech and iv put together a a custom build (im all for trying things out than using what is considered "optimal" But it shows up 3 "lights" or symbols or something that don't appear on the trial mechs. I was wondering what they meant

https://gyazo.com/9b...1e55921a9809c93

If the link does not work to the screenshot then Il try to describe them, one is a Yellow Triangular warning light, flashing on white (I assumed it means something is wrong ?)

One is a yellow temperature indicator, I can guess is too much heat, or not enough heat sinks maybe?

Finally, looks like yellow bullets/ammo, meaning too little or too much? Just would appriciate some clarification on what these mean as I can't find answers anywhere on google or forums.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:29 PM

(Working off memory, will check in game shortly to confirm)

The "!" sign just indicates a problem - click it for a list of details
The thermometer indicates you have hit a Ghost Heat limit - click it to see which weapons are causing it
The ammo icon indicates you have ammo equipped for a weapon which isn't equipped don't have any ammo equipped for one of your weapons, click it too see which one

(Working off memory, will check in game shortly to confirm)

Checked and fixed!

Ghost Heat is additional heat generated by weapons when too many of one weapon (or weapon grouping) are fired within a 0.5s time window.

Penalties and weapon groups can be found here

If you can post a copy of your build using this tool someone will be able to advise you which weapons are causing Ghost Heat and what ammo you have equipped by mistake.

Edited by Jay Leon Hart, 19 December 2017 - 01:39 PM.

#3 FaTaLLiMiT

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:57 PM

Oh thanks! Yeah i just tried clicking it and it said that, was SRM ammo I had still, after removing the launcher, and as for heat, its cos I have 4 large lasers equiped, recommended only using 3. Iv got them grouped, 2 for torso, 2 for arms.

https://gyazo.com/45...895a5caf9f5d7f8

Not alot of credits right now, but was going to swap into double heat sinks in the hopes that it would help with the overheating thing. Just had a bit of trouble trying to get group play to work with a friend who also just started but we can't work it out lmao XD

#4 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

Try Smurfys free Mechlab before spending unnecessary C-bills.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

Have fun building

#5 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

Don't be too worried about the Heat Scale penalties (what "ghost heat" is really called.) They're there to reduce the efficiency of high-alpha boats, but not to stop them from being used altogether - that's why they used a penalty instead of just not letting us mount them. Just remember that heat is a resource, and try to balance how much heat you have to spare with how much damage you're doing to the enemy.

Also: your next purchase should be a Double Heat Sink upgrade to that 'mech, followed by an Endo-Steel structure upgrade. Trust me; it'll be well worth it.

Also don't forget to do the daily Advent quests: click the "sideways M" on the left side of the marquee at the bottom of your screen in the game.

#6 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:17 PM

Before you swap for double heatsinks, consider that they take up 3 slots each, and offer 1.4x the performance. So your 26 heatsinks now would be like 19 double heatsinks. You have 24 free slots on the Mech now. If you swapped to double heatsinks, to get the same performance you would save 7 tons, but it would cost you 18 of your free slots! You can actually get better performance by just stacking a ton of single heatsinks. I'd probably ditch the LRMs, swap 2 lasers for Heavy PPC's, get an XL engine and Endo Steel frame, and build something like this http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1bcd0df6a6be732

#7 FaTaLLiMiT

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

Wow, tons of advice thanks! :D

Il have a mess around with that building tool now.

Also, i read that the xl engines take up more space in right and left torso slots, an if they get destroyed your outa the game, making it easier for a noob like me to die, figured it would be best to avoid that while learning the maps, and when to poke out and stuff.

#8 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:31 PM

View PostFaTaLLiMiT, on 19 December 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

Wow, tons of advice thanks! Posted Image

Also, i read that the xl engines take up more space in right and left torso slots, an if they get destroyed your outa the game, making it easier for a noob like me to die, figured it would be best to avoid that while learning the maps, and when to poke out and stuff.

Never take advice from someone who recommends XL engines to new players for their Stalker. The Stalker is very hard to kill efficiently from the front, but the hit boxes for its side torsos are like a sail from the side. This means that anyone flanking you will destroy your side torso very quickly - making you a prime candidate for side torso destruction.

There is a reason that virtually every serious build you see will have Double Heat sinks; outlying builds do exist, and you can do well and have fun in them (particularly as a new player,) but the upgraded heat sinks are called "upgrades" for good reason.

Take Eisenhorne's build, for example. In another 'mech, with different hit boxes, Single Heat Sinks might be a good option, as it does achieve a marginal superiority compared to a Double Heat Sink Version. However, that 1% increase in cooling efficiency and higher heat cap (click on "Weapon Lab" in the link) still comes with a significant reduction in survivability even for a non-Stalker chassis, making it a side-grade build, at best.

Edited by Void Angel, 19 December 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#9 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,716 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:31 PM

And you're correct. When you're still learning to play, they're a death trap. Once you've learned to conserve your armor and the mech's particular hitboxes and/or build are conducive to it, then it's time to go XL.

#10 FaTaLLiMiT

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

I see, I did a fair bit of googling stuff and what not, coming from World of Tanks (I must of read this atleast 100 times in other posts and forums XD) so i like to check info before any purchase, even with ingame credits as it could take awhile to earn em back, For now, il stick with the 255 standard engine, kinda slow but im not exactly charging front lines, I tend to hang in the middle or on the sides an dish out damage, loving the heavy PPC's though. I might stick with the stalker as it is, as the heat build up seems manageable, Im getting damage done (probs not the MOST damage, but still) and overall enjoying the playstyle.

I did convert to endo steel for structure, i see alota dynamc structure slots now, that jump around when I place heat sinks, so I assume those are kinda like, slots used for the structure but they can be put anywhere or something?

Il link the build again just so its easier to see. I might swap out large lasers to medium, not sure, cos the heavy ppc are long range so figured it would be best to have something thats meant for when mechs get within the 90m minimum range thing?

https://gyazo.com/1d...4209332c8e71044

I havent really messed around with armour yet, i realise armour in different places is a good thing, if I tend to expose a specific side, or over many games realise im taking more hits on a certain part, dump a bit more armour there, but again, think the default armour settings are...ok... for now atleast, besides, I cant add more cos im at the weight limit :P

#11 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

Yes; on Battlemechs (as opposed to OmniMechs like the Ebon Jaguar and Timber Wolf) the structure upgrade slots just fill in wherever you don't put stuff.

To be blunt, the default armor settings are bad; half your back armor and shift it forward - you can also strip some armor from the arms (they're tiny and out of the line of fire most times) if you need it, but max armor on the legs.

Also, don't try to to a split-role 'mech. The only builds that need backup weapons are LRM (or possibly SRM) boats. Otherwise, you'll end up like the people who put Medium Lasers, an AC/20, and two LRM15s on their Atlas D-DC. They've got guns for all ranges, sure - and they're armed like a 'mech half their tonnage at each range. Try to bring weapons that complement each other (LRMs and frontloaded weapons, e.g. HvPPCs, do not mix) and focus on being in the right place at the right time. For your build, all you have to do to 'mechs that get in close is stop firing the heat-inefficient HvPPCs and grind them down with the Large Lasers.

Your optimal engagement is against people peeking out and shooting at teammates; pop up just barely over the horizon, fire the PPCs and lasers, then back down to recycle the guns and cool as needed. Try to stay in the middle of your team, and remember not to fire the Large Lasers too far past 500m out.

#12 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:24 PM

Looking good so far fatal :) I think you're onto something, swap the LL's with a pair of medium lasers on each arm, and spend the rest of the tonnage on more heatsinks and maxing your armor.

#13 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

Always max your armor, except for legs and weaponless arms.

Always get double heatsinks.

Nearly always get endo steel.

This is your build further optimized. STK-4N You could swap the locations of the weapons to your liking.

Six large lasers work, can get hot without fire discipline. This one is a personal favorite.

NEVER put an XL engine in your stalker. EVER. Don't even consider it. Same goes for pretty much all IS assault mechs, but especially the stalker.

Edited by Roughneck45, 19 December 2017 - 06:31 PM.

#14 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 19 December 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

Before you swap for double heatsinks, consider that they take up 3 slots each, and offer 1.4x the performance.

You have to remember that the 10 built in engine heatsinks are true double, giving 2.0 efficiency, the double heatsinks you add in the mechlab have the 1.4 efficiency.

In 99% of cases double heatsinks are a straight upgrade. The few times they aren't are normally novelty builds, built specifically to have the single heatsinks "outperform" doubles, not necessarily to be good mechs.

#15 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:55 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 19 December 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

the double heatsinks you add in the mechlab have the 1.4 efficiency.

#16 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:02 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 19 December 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

You have to remember that the 10 built in engine heatsinks are true double, giving 2.0 efficiency, the double heatsinks you add in the mechlab have the 1.4 efficiency.

In 99% of cases double heatsinks are a straight upgrade. The few times they aren't are normally novelty builds, built specifically to have the single heatsinks "outperform" doubles, not necessarily to be good mechs.

I did not know about the engine heatsinks having true 2.0 efficiency. Thanks for the correction.

#17 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:35 PM

View PostExard3k, on 19 December 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

I heard that, how long ago was that change made?

Nevermind, found it, https://mwomercs.com...38-01-dec-2015/, looks like capacity went up to 1.5, not efficiency.

Edited by Roughneck45, 19 December 2017 - 07:43 PM.

#18 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:19 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 19 December 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

I did not know about the engine heatsinks having true 2.0 efficiency. Thanks for the correction.

I'm told it started out as a bug, and they left it in as a part of engine balance or something. It's important to note that only the ten (or fewer) heat sinks that are actually part of your engine count as true doubles - heat sinks installed in a 275+ rated engine don't. In essence, if you can see it on your 'mech's paper doll, it's not a true double.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:50 PM

Wow, tons of advice thanks! :D

Worth noting is you can click the symbols to get a dialog box explaining them.

#20 Iain Sumner

• PipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:48 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 19 December 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

I heard that, how long ago was that change made?

Nevermind, found it, https://mwomercs.com...38-01-dec-2015/, looks like capacity went up to 1.5, not efficiency.

These are Patch Notes from Dec 2015 btw.

Check the stats in the Mechlab. It's 1.5/0.15 for both factions. So that 40% tooltip message from IS DHS is outdated. Clan DHS got buffed a couple of months ago, now both have equal values.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users