4 replies to this topic

#1 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

I have a some questions regarding velocity/projectile speed and I'm hoping a developer or anyone else that has done extensive testing might be able to help me out.

I've been playing a long time but I've wondered while building some 'Mechs lately, if 2000 projectile speed is the highest base value for some weapons, what happens beyond that 2000?

1) Is there a hard or soft cap to velocity?
- Hard cap being solid number at which you can no longer benefit.
-Soft cap being a point where you will see diminishing returns.

2) If so, what are those numbers?

3) Projectile speed, is it based in meters per second traveled or is it a value assigned for some formula and we the players just use it as a reference of more is better?

4) If it's just a formula or if there is a formula, what is it to determine travel time to target?

I'm sure to have more questions but for now these will determine whether I need go further with this discussion. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

1) no

2) n/a

3) meters per second

4) meters per second

#3 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

Its just a formula......meters per second.

#4 Chris Lowrey

Design Consultant

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:14 AM

1.A) No hardcap on the velocity. You are only limited by your 'Mech's access to velocity quirks, Targeting computers, and skill tree investments. You can stack all of the bonus' provided to your hearts content if your willing to pay the tonnage / skill cost to get the equipment+skills to do so.

1.B )Your millage may vary. This comes down to personal preference and the base stats. Higher velocity makes it easier to hit targets at farther ranges, so it all comes down to where you are engaging your enemies. You probably won't see much of a benefit boosting your Gauss rifle's velocity if you are mostly engaging under 400 meters with the rifle. You'll notice the difference more as you try to engage at farther ranges.

2.) Velocity boosts are percentile based, so this number will vary based on the base velocity value of the weapon you are looking at. It will also vary dependent on how large of a Targeting computer you can fit, or a 'Mech variants native velocity quirks.

3+4.) Meters per second.

#5 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:21 AM

Thank you all for your quick and informative responses. I have no further questions. Hopefully this helps the curiosities of other players as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users