Does Rotaryac5 Overshadow Ac10?

31 replies to this topic

#21 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:47 AM

I actually gave some time to dual RAC5 Jaggermech, I would never say it is a GOOD weapon but some people seem to think it sucks, it does not and it has its place in any PUG battleground. It has several drawbacks but it also boasts insane DPS, that said RACs are a very special weapon that force you to play differently to most other weapons so do RACs or don't but don't mix them with other stuff, that's why imo RAC are useful in pairs unaccompanied by other weaponry, so look at medium/heavy mechs with good hard point placement and preferably good hit boxes because they require lots face time.

#22 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:27 AM

No, it does not, what a silly idea.

#23 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ff5052bbeec10dc

This is my King Crab Loyalty build. Very easy to pass 1k damage. But extremely toasty. The other weapons are used when the Racs are jammed up waiting to cool down. The MRMs and ERML with the MGS are there to alternate between the two.

I generally score around 1k damage and a bunch of components destroyed.

Is it uber meta? Hell no. Is it fun? Hell yes. People panic when they just get that kind of volume of fire directed at them. I've held the cap point nearly solo in Frozen City solo with it.

#24 OmniFail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 438 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:06 PM

View PostDr Hobo, on 24 December 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ff5052bbeec10dc

This is my King Crab Loyalty build. Very easy to pass 1k damage. But extremely toasty. The other weapons are used when the Racs are jammed up waiting to cool down. The MRMs and ERML with the MGS are there to alternate between the two.

I generally score around 1k damage and a bunch of components destroyed.

Is it uber meta? Hell no. Is it fun? Hell yes. People panic when they just get that kind of volume of fire directed at them. I've held the cap point nearly solo in Frozen City solo with it.

I like your build Hobo. Tis sweet.

I think the RAC5's are like the lurms of the direct fire world. They seem more punishing in slower less mobile mechs.

#25 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:17 PM

View PostOmniFail, on 24 December 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

I like your build Hobo. Tis sweet.

I think the RAC5's are like the lurms of the direct fire world. They seem more punishing in slower less mobile mechs.

I love it,I take it on FW whenever I get around to playing FW.

It's very toasty and requires on point heat management. Thats why the MGs are there to keep breaking things while the MRMs and RACs break armor.

But I do admit,I get primaried alot. People know that build is annoying as hell and want it dead ASAP.

#26 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:39 PM

View PostDr Hobo, on 24 December 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

I generally score around 1k damage and a bunch of components destroyed

I don't believe you.

Edited by Yosharian, 25 December 2017 - 10:39 PM.

#27 CuriousCabbitBlue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:22 AM

lmao
Posted Image

#28 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:33 AM

Off-topic but slightly relevant, what's everyone view of 2xAC10 vs 4xAC5?

#29 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:48 AM

3 ac5 are equivalent of 2 ac10. 4 ac5 are more powerful.

#30 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:49 AM

View Postlazorbeamz, on 26 December 2017 - 02:48 AM, said:

3 ac5 are equivalent of 2 ac10. 4 ac5 are more powerful.

Oh yeah that's right oops.

#31 Yanlowen Cage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:45 AM

Different weapon for a different job. Ac 10s are good for most of the stated points. But in defense of the rac 5, it can be extremely effective.
Try this. A rac 5 and 4 er med lasers on a cicada. Have it go about 117 kph. Lose armor on the arms.
Now take said mech and flank by your lonely. Find that lonely slow moving heavy or assault. Often times a missile boat. Spool the rac before you fire the er meds. Remember 500 meters of range.you don't have to be close. This often leads to a slow turning and moving big trying to turn to fire at you or running for it's life. With that 117 kph speed you can usually inflict a fair amount of damage and run before they can return fire. Also great for hunting the injured.

With this build I believe you can carry about 3 tons of ammo. And often times you can fire til you jam and the big mechs can't or won't fire at you. After the jam. RUN! Wait for the jam cooldown and hunt.

Yup I have ran this build and posted many 500 plus damage games and on rare occasion over 800. Not bad for a light pretending to be a medium. Oh yeah. I suggest the ecm cicada.

Every weapon can be powerful if you can find it's niche. E.G. AC2 on an urbie.

#32 ROSS-128

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 396 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:27 AM

I've pondered whether it would be a good idea to run a RAC5 on a Panther with the ridiculous armor quirks it gets (+24 on the arms and +12 to just about everything else, on a 35 ton mech). I guess the hope would be that people decide it's just too much work for too little value when they have other targets that are both more threatening and easier to kill.

Would make a hell of a squirrel if it also manages to cram in a big enough engine and takes durability+mobility skills. Main downside is the ballistic hardpoint is in the arm, and it's a low-slung humanoid arm. It's an arm that can have 48 armor on it though, I think even if they try to focus it the ST will go first and the XL with it. Keeping it clear of obstruction might be a pain though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users