- - - - -

All The Ways The Fw Stocking Event Is Broken

10 replies to this topic

#1 Ijzel

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:28 AM

I have been very vocal about this because I have wasted a ton of time getting all my quick play stockings done to achieve 200 stockings, but now I have hit a brick wall.

Since the point of these events is to get people to populate servers, we are doing PGI a favor in playing this game. They are trading prizes for population. Therefore, if the goal of the event is impossible, even just for some, for arbitrary reasons, then they owe those people some alternative means to the same goal, because those people are doing their job by increasing server populations.

So, here are the ways that PGI has fallen short of their end of the bargain.
  • Faction Warfare is an even more team oriented version of MWO. The goal to being effective should be to support your team as a role. PGI often drops the phrase 'Role Warfare' but in events like this, they obviously fall short.
  • Right now, there is a stark imbalance in the two factions. As BATTLE OF THARKAD STATS show, the IS have a huge advantage in Scouting and a moderate advantage in Invasion. So while people have suggested taking streak boats in to scouting matches to generate the match scores, as a clan player, we're just out classed when it comes to streak boats. Between the GRF-2N and the Bushwackers, clans as just outclassed. This means that anyone aligned to the clans should just ignore the stocking event, PERIOD.
  • Even if the odds were even, it's likely that, all other things being even, 1 out of the 8 players going in to a scouting match will come out with +250 points. So, with those odds, we'd have to play 400 games!
  • Everyone cultivates a set of tactics, and some tactics just don't score well, even if they are effective in combat. I am a gauss heavy player. It's just what has worked for my over the years of playing (Ijzel is an account I am setting up for my 9yo.) Am I to just suddenly get magically good at tactics which may not be better for my team but may be better at match score? Should that really be the motivation?
  • Even a victory in FW and solid contributions will not guarantee 250 points

Posted Image

So I am doing my part to keep populations up, making the game enjoyable for my competitors, but I am not being compensated for my time and effort.

PGI, YOU need to fix this. You need to reward the people who spent days trying to score these victories and kept your populations high in the process.

And maybe I'm just not good. I'll let you decide:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Ijzel, 28 December 2017 - 11:29 AM.

#2 Ghostbear35

• Pip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:25 PM

I agree this is a problem. Even if the score requirements for QP and FW were reversed, this wouldn't be as big of an issue (250 for QP and 150 for FW.) But of the many FW games I have played, WITH A UNIT, I have only been able to achieve a 250 match score once, with 95% of the QP matches I/we have played earning me one.

#3 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:55 PM

It's hard to get to 250, yes. FW is hard and rewards teamwork only. People who get in the queue and try to facetank their way to 250 are making it a lot harder to get the match score required for the loot bags this time around. I think that if PGI made it easier to get a FW loot bag it would make the games even worse and it'd be even more of a pugstomp. As a pilot with a defunct unit and a lot of pug matches under my belt, I worry that it would discourage even more pilots from trying FW after the event.
Not that it isn't pretty frustrating as-is.

#4 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:02 PM

View PostIjzel, on 28 December 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

Right now, there is a stark imbalance in the two factions. As BATTLE OF THARKAD STATS show, the IS have a huge advantage in Scouting and a moderate advantage in Invasion. So while people have suggested taking streak boats in to scouting matches to generate the match scores, as a clan player, we're just out classed when it comes to streak boats. Between the GRF-2N and the Bushwackers, clans as just outclassed. This means that anyone aligned to the clans should just ignore the stocking event, PERIOD.

What kinda selective thread is this? Look at the Luthien stats which Clan won, some 2 months ago? Oh wait, that would then totally disregard pretty much everything you said... Posted Image

The imbalance is nothing to do with the Tech in FP - It is to do with which units are on which side, at the time. That was the dictator of the outcome from both events. Nothing more, nothing less and absolutely nothing to do with the tech.

I had zero issue getting my 100 games out the way in 2-3 days. Dropped with a team (between 4-12 players) and won every game bar one.

Easy.

Again it is NOT so much about the tech as in playing the mode how it is designed - in a team.

Yes the tech is not balanced properly but in FP that does not necessarily has as much of an effect as being organised.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 28 December 2017 - 03:03 PM.

#5 Ijzel

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

I do actually play the game, I do play faction warfare. I am not regurgitating someone else's opinion. Scouting is awash with IS victories and while I think Clan and IS tech is matched, overall, I would say that scouting heavily favors IS and that causes invasion to skew IS, too.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 28 December 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

What kinda selective thread is this? Look at the Luthien stats which Clan won, some 2 months ago? Oh wait, that would then totally disregard pretty much everything you said... Posted Image

The imbalance is nothing to do with the Tech in FP - It is to do with which units are on which side, at the time. That was the dictator of the outcome from both events. Nothing more, nothing less and absolutely nothing to do with the tech.

I had zero issue getting my 100 games out the way in 2-3 days. Dropped with a team (between 4-12 players) and won every game bar one.

Easy.

Again it is NOT so much about the tech as in playing the mode how it is designed - in a team.

Yes the tech is not balanced properly but in FP that does not necessarily has as much of an effect as being organised.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

Know what's cute? We hear all this crap about how OP the Clans are... and I've been saying since 2014 that the real OP ones are the IS. Clans just have the new toys and thus all the organized groups were over there. Now its more spread out due to the IS actually having some toys to play with.

And here we are.
"The IS has a significant advantage."
"The IS has a moderate advantage."
Let me bathe in your tears.

I do agree though -- whomever has the advantage in scouting therefore has the significant advantage in faction warfare.

#7 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:43 PM

View PostIjzel, on 29 December 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

I do actually play the game, I do play faction warfare. I am not regurgitating someone else's opinion. Scouting is awash with IS victories and while I think Clan and IS tech is matched, overall, I would say that scouting heavily favors IS and that causes invasion to skew IS, too.

And yet IS has not been coming close to winning phases.

The bar is moved/wedged firmly into the Clan side of the bar for the past 2 weeks solid now.

Unfortunately what you are claiming is not what is happening in reality. Not sure why you'd do that?

#8 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,718 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:56 PM

Right now, there is a stark imbalance in the two factions. As BATTLE OF THARKAD STATS show, the IS have a huge advantage in Scouting and a moderate advantage in Invasion. So while people have suggested taking streak boats in to scouting matches to generate the match scores, as a clan player, we're just out classed when it comes to streak boats. Between the GRF-2N and the Bushwackers, clans as just outclassed. This means that anyone aligned to the clans should just ignore the stocking event, PERIOD.
Streak boats work, you just have to dance at the edge of the range whenever possible rather than close in - remember you have 90m (up to 100m with skills) advantage over IS streakboats.

Even if the odds were even, it's likely that, all other things being even, 1 out of the 8 players going in to a scouting match will come out with +250 points. So, with those odds, we'd have to play 400 games!
The only place where random factors come in is whether you get awful pugmates or get matched against a 4-man. Outside of those situations, your build and your performance are the main factors.

Everyone cultivates a set of tactics, and some tactics just don't score well, even if they are effective in combat. I am a gauss heavy player. It's just what has worked for my over the years of playing (Ijzel is an account I am setting up for my 9yo.) Am I to just suddenly get magically good at tactics which may not be better for my team but may be better at match score? Should that really be the motivation?
If your existing tactic doesn't work, get outside of your comfort zone and find one that works better - it's hardly rocket science.
Otherwise you end up in the predicament of only having a hammer and being frustrated because not everything is a nail - exactly where you are now.

Even a victory in FW and solid contributions will not guarantee 250 points
Score in Invasion is affected by how many mechs you lost, and you won't farm score by objective rushing.

PGI, YOU need to fix this. You need to reward the people who spent days trying to score these victories and kept your populations high in the process.
This much I'll agree with, because the goal was supposed to get more people into Invasion but only managed to discourage them from playing Invasion because it can be done more reliably in Scouting.

#9 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:09 PM

Main problem I see is units depriving enemys of kills and damage as well as ppl playing super cowardly to use as few mechs as possible to conserve their matchscore.....

Well....anyway there are no mechs in the grand prize that would interest me anyway so screw FP ... tried it... did not like it...will not play it....one seal less to club Posted Image

#10 Alaric Hasek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

You're just not good.

And maybe I'm just not good. I'll let you decide:

#11 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,717 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 29 December 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

BONUS LOOT BAGS IN FACTION PLAY!

SEE CHALLENGE PAGE! https://mwomercs.com/events/74

STOCKING STUFFER LOOT BAG PAGE HERE! https://mwomercs.com...=201712stocking

A minimum FP Match score of 50 = 1 Loot Bag (50 total)

A minimum FP Match score of 100 = 1 Loot Bag (30 total)

A minimum FP Match score of 150 = 1 Loot Bag 20 total)

These Bonus Loot Bags go towards unlocking the Pick a Prize!

Also

The 250 match score for 2 loot bags still applies! https://mwomercs.com/events/72

In one match you can now earn a maximum of 5 Loot Bags if you earn 250 match score!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users