• 1,539 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:16 AM

Any reason to buy one and which one?

#2 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:05 AM

They always seem to die fast, and I've never really considered them a threat on the battlefield.

#3 Brethren

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:16 AM

Hi there.

The Executioner is a mech sadly with more down- than upsides. Still it can be put to good work as you grow accustomed to it.

Downs:
  • limited pod space. Fixed jump jets and MASC take their toll on slots and tonnage, so you probably won't carry big weapon loadouts like other 95 tonners. You can mount a ridiculous amount of lasers but lack the room for many heat sinks to deal with the heat.
  • the mech is tall! Second only to the Annihilator the EXE is huge. (Third would be the HGN-IIC.) If you like looking down on other people and belittle small Atlas mechs the Executioner might be for you. Posted Image
  • the weapon mounts. The torso mounts are up pretty high, but still a bit below the cockpit. Sadly you cannot mount a lot in the torsos due to limited slots. The arm mounts on the other hand are rather low.
Ups:
  • JJs make good mobility. Jump jets on assault mechs are not particularly good, so you will be able to jump but not that high. Still, it will get you in positions assaults would not normally get, gives you an small edge in a brawl and the ability to poptart (with your toros weapons at least. It takes way to long to get high enough to use your arm weapons.)
  • MASC makes really good mobility. It's not really the speed boost that matters here, although running 90 kph (with speed tweak) will get you into positions faster occationally. More important here is acceleration and decceleration. For a 95t Mech the Executioner can be ridiciously fast out, firing and back into cover. Quite often your opponents cannot even retaliate properly as long as they didn't already aim at your corner. The EXE does very well with corner poking. Your right side can hold up to 10 energy weapons!
  • good shielding capabilities. The arms of the Exe cover a good portion of your side, so it can shield rather well with the arms, especially the right one. (Sadly the right arm is also where you can fit the most weapon hardpoints.)
All in all the Executioner plays the game of a heavy mech but with the size and the durability of an assault. This has many players shy away from it since most want to play like an assault when they pick one. I certainly won't blame anybody for that desicion.

If you still plan to buy an Executioner, I consider the EXE-A the most usefull, because it's the only one that comes with a decent amount of hard points and useful set-of-8-quirks. But since none of the EXEs have a unique center torso you can do pretty much all builds on all Executioners equally.

I still own 3 Executioners (from the days you needed 3 mechs to skill a chassis). They're build as follows:
(Pay no attention to front and rear armor values. I didn't adjust these.)

EXE-A (full set-of-8)
Utilises +10% energy range, -10% energy heat, +20% machine gun RoF. It's pretty cool running already, but you could drop the machine guns for more double heat sinks to empasize on that. Also, it's able to alpha strike without ghost heat.
EXE-A (build link)

EXE
A bit of an oddball-dakka this build tries to use the higher mounted torso hardpoints. Fire UACs and PPC together until hot, drop the PPC fire to continue with the UACs. 7 ER micro lasers add a short range punch (~17 damage, ~12 heat, less than 2t weight, no ghost heat). Shield with the left side first, since you don't really care about the empty arm.
EXE (build link)

EXE
The rainbow. Careful, this is hot! It's basically the usual laser vomit that adds the 7 ER micro for either additional damage or for comparatively cool ~17 damage if you run hot and need to fire something. You cannot fire all lasers together (ghost heat!) but if you fire the micro lasers 0.5s late their duration will end together with the ER mediums, basically making it a single alpha strike. MASC out, melt someones mech, MASC back into cover, cool down, repeat.
You could drop the micro lasers for more heat sinks and a good right shield arm.
EXE (build link)

If you want a regular assault mech, look for something else. The EXE cannot provide you with the sustained firepower of a 95t mech. This is a surprise jack-in-a-box. It can play peek-a-boo, jump into positions assaults usually have difficulty getting to and even run down a panicking medium mech with a burst of 90kph, but it will suffer heavy damage in a fight with other assaults.

I hope you will find this information useful do make a desicion. Posted Image
See you on the battlefield, Mechwarrior.
Now excuse me... I have to go pilot my Gladiators!

Edited by Brethren, 31 December 2017 - 04:48 AM.

#4 nUUUUU

• PipPip
  • Cadet
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:35 AM

As a proud owner of an executioner, I love it. I don't perform well in it. But I love it.

View PostBrethren, on 31 December 2017 - 04:16 AM, said:

Hi there.

The Executioner is a mech sadly with more down- than upsides. Still it can be put to good work as you grow accustomed to it.

Downs:
  • limited pod space. Fixed jump jets and MASC take their toll on slots and tonnage, so you probably won't carry big weapon loadouts like other 95 tonners. You can mount a ridiculous amount of lasers but lack the room for many heat sinks to deal with the heat.
  • the mech is tall! Second only to the Annihilator the EXE is huge. (Third would be the HGN-IIC.) If you like looking down on other people and belittle small Atlas mechs the Executioner might be for you. Posted Image
  • the weapon mounts. The torso mounts are up pretty high, but still a bit below the cockpit. Sadly you cannot mount a lot in the torsos due to limited slots. The arm mounts on the other hand are rather low.
Ups:
  • JJs make good mobility. Jump jets on assault mechs are not particularly good, so you will be able to jump but not that high. Still, it will get you in positions assaults would not normally get, gives you an small edge in a brawl and the ability to poptart (with your toros weapons at least. It takes way to long to get high enough to use your arm weapons.)
  • MASC makes really good mobility. It's not really the speed boost that matters here, although running 90 kph (with speed tweak) will get you into positions faster occationally. More important here is acceleration and decceleration. For a 95t Mech the Executioner can be ridiciously fast out, firing and back into cover. Quite often your opponents cannot even retaliate properly as long as they didn't already aim at your corner. The EXE does very well with corner poking. Your right side can hold up to 10 energy weapons!
  • good shielding capabilities. The arms of the Exe cover a good portion of your side, so it can shield rather well with the arms, especially the right one. (Sadly the right arm is also where you can fit the most weapon hardpoints.)
All in all the Executioner plays the game of a heavy mech but with the size and the durability of an assault. This has many players shy away from it since most want to play like an assault when they pick one. I certainly won't blame anybody for that desicion.

He summed up what I'd say rather well. However there are certain points I'd like to bring up.
This mech and the gargloyle, do not have pod space/tonnage. what they have is speed, and the exe JJs. This is a specialty mech. I would mostly go for mixes of missle/laser, laser/ballistic or most of the time, pure laser. Boating lasers is what these two mechs excel at.
While not all torso omnipods have hardpoints, there are 4-5 right torsos that you need. Prime and A have two basllistic slots. You can potentially mount two uac 5s and run a build similar to this by snuggles.
The ballistic torso mount can even mount a UAC10, or a gauss riffle.
E has 3, D 2 and B 1 energy hardpoint. the B variant also packs an AMS, and has armor quirks.
THe C/D left torso is the one to go with. I'm not sure which, but one has armor quirks. Those armor quirks make the side torsos significantly better, and can be used to beef up the mech's durability.

One trick that I would suggest employing is the use of the arm actuator on the left arm to help articulate the right arm. Carry the exe D or Exe C left arms and enable the lower arm actuator.
There are a lot more builds here for perusal. https://mwomercs.com...ds/page__st__20
There is a nice Mpl build that works rather well if you ride the heat scale and its range is pretty decent. I have seen TTB get 900 damage in polar highlands with it. It runs hot but ideally you have to master the art of riding the heat scale. Or taking overheat damage. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...59d86ddb6b3ce38

Edited by nUUUUU, 07 January 2018 - 03:38 AM.

#5 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:33 AM

The Executioner is sure one of those mechs that is seriously hampered by MWOs interpretation of Assault Battlemechs and how the size of a Mech should be determined.

It's main shortcommings are its pure size and low arm hardpoints in conjunction with its comparably low possible pod tonnage and crit space.
TT-wise/lorewise this shortcommings should be more than alleviated by its high topspeed and mobility in conjunction with its assault grade armor. Sadly those advantages are not sufficiently reflected by its implementation into MWO.

Luckily some of its downsides, namely its low hardpoints have been adressed by of some of its latest omnipod additions.
But still the EXE has only a pittyfull number of sufficiently large guns to be worth the title Assault.
What you actually can do is boat a ridiculous number of smal weapons to unleash a withering shortrange laserbarage.
Use the EXE-E as basis and add an EXE-C left side torso to get 2HLLaser in.
Now install two EXE- A Arms or maybe one EXE-C right Arm.

The strategy is to stay with other more threatening Assaults and get under medium range and support with the combination of HLLaser and ERMLasers. When somebody presents a vulnerability use Masc to close in and finish the job with a full blast from your Laser Arrays.

Edited by The Basilisk, 07 January 2018 - 04:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users