Question

7 replies to this topic

#1 Trystan Thorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:06 AM

I started playing MWO with the release of Project Phoenix (what can I say, I simply couldn't resist playing some of the classics offered as a huge BattleTech fan).
I left MWO around the release timeframe of the 500$ Gold Mechs (the whole thing didn't sit well with me at the time and I left in a bit of protest).
My love for BattleTech never went away and obviously I kickstarted BT from HBS (obviously not just me).
In a way, it's BT that brought me back to MWO. With the release getting closer and more info been available, I eventually started reading what the other BattleTech game is doing as well.
I can see that the Mechs released from their asthetics side still look amazing (for me MWO designs often surpassed the original).
New maps is nice too and obviously some problems too still there.
So as you can see guys, I did inform myself a bit.
My plan is to start playing QP as a dirty freeborn solo pug player! ;-)
So I can get used to the game again and collect some C-Bills.
Time permitting, I might join groups later, but might stay solo ( luckily I'm thick skinned).
FP is not on my priority list.

I actually even bought some Mechs before playing (who could resist that Marauder and the Warhammer and they were on sale after all).
Sure probably not a wise move (always bought Machs based looks and not performance), but hey see it this way.
I support the game and maybe it will help towards a better MW5. :-D

But I do have a few questions.

So timeline moved to civil war era I see. Is that still just on PTS or gone live?
Did they chang the way people do damage? I remember been happy scoring 300 to 400 damage and then seeing for example Baradul scoring 800 damage or so on an Urbie is frightening in a way.
What's the genpop? Wait times long these days?
Besides the forums, any other good sites to learn about the new skill tree and decent Mechs or tips in general?
Any other tips for me in general?
Hoping to have my first game tomorrow.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:04 AM

Gone live. it has almost no effect on faction play; which has changed to Clans versus IS on all fronts. Times are faster, sure, but adding depth would make it more appealing... at the moment its a no holds barred everyone for themselves 96 mech killing spree on all maps and modes with some exclusives.

Weapons are all live. They are visually identical (disappointing) with new 3D models but no new effects. The sound quality goes up and down. Some things are interesting, others seem more like gimmicks. The weapons for the most part seem balanced. Some debate on the Heavy Gauss as it is very underwhelming compared to the lore (but all Gauss and PPCs are underwhelming compared to lore, since all other energy and ballistic weapons are so powerful per shot compared to lore, and double+quirked armor structure makes everything all the more underwhelming in order to compensate for the front loaded 3 to 19x faster damage delivery rates compared to source materials.).

Mechs are awesome. Animations are being recycled from the Crab for the new digitigrade walkers. This has mixed results, since the lower knee/upper ankle does not move in any of these animations it is very noticeable and disliked.

---
Side note: I'm always looking for BT fans that might want to get together for private campaigns run on Megamek with all the compatible BT rules enabled for a genuine semi-realtime simulator experience that I can use as the basis for short stories. Lemme know if interested.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

Nothing really changed. Quirks and the new skill tree have made things both harder to kill and shooting faster, colder, with higher heat caps (depending on how you pick and choose it). The 19x faster than source material is not even counting quirks or skill tree.

There's also 12 players versus 12 players.
Honestly getting 1,000+ damage is relatively easy even under joke builds.
Such as this LB-10X, twin MG, 3 SPL rig.

711 damage, 7 kills.

439, 2 kills 4 assists with 2 MGs, 1 LPL and 2 Streak SRM-2s.

Skip to 6 minutes. At one point I make an Atlas at high health hesitate and retreat.
1,000+ damage with 1 MG, 1 LB-10X, 1 AC/5, 1 AC/2 and 4 ML.

After the first score screen, skip to 5:40.
Multiple thousand+ damage matches in a Highlander post-Highlander nerfs long before the Gold Mech fiasco with only the old basic tree. LB-10x, AC/2, 3 ML, 2 Streak SRM-2s. 330 XL engine. My anti-meta build, originally designed with the purpose of rushing the old 4 and 6 PPC Stalkers, PPC/AC, PPC/Gauss and LRM boats to quickly annihilate them.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:23 AM

For something more current, here's a few.
Spoiler

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:39 AM

View PostTrystan Thorne, on 30 December 2017 - 07:06 AM, said:

So timeline moved to civil war era I see. Is that still just on PTS or gone live?
Did they chang the way people do damage? I remember been happy scoring 300 to 400 damage and then seeing for example Baradul scoring 800 damage or so on an Urbie is frightening in a way.
What's the genpop? Wait times long these days?
Besides the forums, any other good sites to learn about the new skill tree and decent Mechs or tips in general?
Any other tips for me in general?
Hoping to have my first game tomorrow.

Civil War timeline was introduced to main game about 6 months ago

no, damage has not changed, average per player on the winning team is 300-400, while I have many 800+ damage games (including 1 1100+) those are you ether getting lucky, being a bad shot (a good shot gets kills with low damage) or being of much higher skill than your teammates.

wait times are very variable, sometimes you get a game within a few seconds of clicking launch, others it can take up-to about 5 minutes, I think 60-90 seconds is about the norm (but that is group queue and UK evening times).

Smurfy gives great info about Mechs, weapons and equipment, also has a Mechlab where you can figure out builds.

if you want to earn cbills try to suvive the match, do not be a coward and hide all match but avoid being the first arround the corner and avoid getting seporated from the bulk of the team.

your Marauder and Warhammer will want Light Fusion Engines if you can afford them, for most IS Mechs (assuming you can afford it) the Light Fusion is the engine to use, if allows you to suvive loosing 1 side like the Clan XL but is heavier than the IS XL.

any skills, modules ect you owned will have been refunded as skill points, you have pools of skill points for any chassis you had skills on and a pool of general SP as refunds for any modules you unlocked/owned, these can be used to level up Mechs.

Mech twist/turn speed is no longer controled by engine size, an Atlas will twist/turn the same with a 200 or 400 engine in it, the engine size now only affects top speed.

#6 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,716 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:13 AM

View PostTrystan Thorne, on 30 December 2017 - 07:06 AM, said:

FP is not on my priority list.
Do try out Scouting some time, though - it's a fun, relatively fast mode to do, quite different from QP or Invasion.

It moved but it didn't... basically, tech moved to CW but the FP galaxy map is still in Clan Invasion.

Not really. Metamechs has not been updated for Civil War tech nor to account for the Skill Tree.

#7 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:42 AM

View PostKoniving, on 30 December 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

For something more current, here's a few.
Spoiler

Your Orion isn't much different from my IIC... Apart from the fact that I went for 2x LPL and 2x ERML instead of PPC and LBX+MG. (I also lean more towards LRM due to the extra range for similar overall damage, and because Clan LRMs don't have hard min range)

#8 Trystan Thorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for the answers guys! I will rummage a bit through the forums for some additional info.
Nice to see Smurfy is still around! :-)

@Koniving
Sadly my time is a bit limited. I would love to have more time and do Megamek again.
I will buy the new BattleTech boxes coming in 2018 from Catalyst and probable will only end up playing a few games a year. :-/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users