What Determines A "good" Player?

73 replies to this topic

#21 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:45 PM

A good player is someone who matches each of the requirements for a given definition of 'good'.

#22 blood4blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 527 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

Don't hug enemies, don't hug friendlies, don't NASCAR, focus targets rather than spread damage around on multiple enemies, pick skirmish/assault whenever possible, remember PGI doesn't reward playing the objectives for other game types so always play skirmish/assault until your team has a numeric advantage.

Problem is you have to go with your team, and most teams demand lemming behavior, so no one is good in MWO...

#23 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:52 PM

A good player is a guy/girl who keeps an eye on the mini map and direct teams properly so others can focus on getting tunnel vision safely.

A good player is someone who will work as a team and push, defend, focus fire as required so the whole becomes greater than the sum of its parts.

A good player is a lone wolf who can solo half of other team and carries the rest of the team almost every time.

Good players comes in all form and sizes and having a few on the team keeps people playing MWO.

Oh, did I mention nascar? No? Good.

#24 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

As far as quick play goes, Someone who makes the game enjoyable and fun.

Waiting around for the same ol same ol is not my idea of a good time. It may work in FP, but it is what makes this game so boring in QP.

Personally I blame the 3 path system around central object of the map design that promotes nascar, so I like people who break the norm which generally prompts a fun and enjoyable game.

#25 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:29 PM

High win rate over hundreds of matches. You don't see pilots like Kaffeangst, or Heim running with less than 2:1 WLR.

Edited by El Bandito, 30 December 2017 - 05:30 PM.

#26 Potatomasher69

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:41 PM

Consistent pattern of success. Expressed best as Win%. Maybe from just the past six months, to be relevant to your current success rate.

So winning.. winning makes ya gud

#27 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:13 AM

- They know how to spread the damage.

- They know which component to target.

- They know how to aim.

- They dont trash talk in chat (team or all).

- They know when to push or not to push.

- They have a great map awareness, sometimes when I flank someone and attack their rear ct, they dont even turn around, this kind of people sucks when they are in your team.

- They dont just hide the whole match and only kill-steal but contribute to the fight even if he get 0 kill but just assist, its a team game you d**khead.

- They know how to help each other when someone really needs help like an assault getting gang-banged by lights and then the team's light or medium come to help save the assault and not just watch it from a far and be like "That is your problem, not mine"

- They dont use Assassin because they have 0 skill (Sorry, this mech is just overrated IMO, dont get triggered if you use him a lot, its a free world, free speech).

Theres more but thats all I can think of..

#28 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:39 AM

I think being able to perform well in any mech, and any situation is what being a good pilot, a true Mechwarrior is about. Even in the novels the famous characters piloted different classes of mechs and managed to still come out on top.

You have your piloting skill, making your shots, protecting your mech. Then theres those tactical decisions that need to be made to turn the tide of a battle.

p.s. It helps having a decent gaming PC.

#29 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:41 AM

They can aim.
They understand they can't survive with 3 enemies shooting them only and exit those fights for better odds or angles of less exposure.
They can spot Kill zones and use them rather than walk into them.

They don't call on the whole team to "Push" into same or greater numbers of enemies hoping to win the trade-off with a focused enemy.

They don't mindlessly "Nascar" or wander to distant areas of the map.

A lot of it is patience to let your whole team work since teams will have a mix of effective ranges, but will always get to brawling range. Use all your assets.

#30 TechChris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Midwest, I think??? Dang "Drinkin Man's" Shooter bad for my memory! ^_^

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:49 AM

Well.......

According to most ForumWarriors, it's based entirely on you K/D stat and/or W/L stat and/or Leaderboard Rank!!! Whichever suits them at any given times or works to "facilitate" whatever "point" there trying to make. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#31 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

Easy, anyone who kills me in match is a good pilot. Anyone I kill is a potato.

#32 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 03 January 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

Easy, anyone who kills me in match is a good pilot. Anyone I kill is a potato.

What if you kill each other at the same time?

#33 Mechrophilia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

View PostPurplePuke, on 30 December 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

They generally do well in the game, and when they don't, they know why.

This.

Failure is the greatest teacher of success as long as you possess the capacity to learn from yourself.

#34 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,084 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

A good player is one that shoots back at the enemy. Beyond that pugs can hardly do more such as shoot the enemy and re position for a better map position.

#35 ESC 907

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 208 posts
  • Location'Murica

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

I would have to say that the best players are always going to be team-players. At the very least, people that are active on comms, and work WITH the team. Sure, a player may run off and do his own thing, but in order for it to work, he has to keep the team in consideration. There was once this little sheisty player I encountered far too often, name started with an "L" and ended with a "yen", and he always ran a ERLL RVN build. He would run off on his own, and snipe with his RVN. His contributions to the team always amounted to squat, as he was regularly the last player alive, and typically a fresh mech by that point.

Communication is key in this game, and the best drops I've had have been with other people that are vocal on comms. Even if the team loses, it feels like a much better match because of the fact that the team communicated and worked together. And to be more specific: that's positive comms, not those whiny freaks that blame everyone else for their loss. I would understand being critical, as I myself am very guilty of such a thing (critiquing all those PO-TAY-TOE quality, roller-ball/joystick players out there), but just making noise through VOIP or on chat doesn't help anyone.

#36 Spr1ggan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

It depends on the context.

For example, it takes a different skillset to be good in comp than it does in casual play. If all we're talking about is casual solo and group play then all it takes is good aim, aggressive shooting, with some moderate positioning ability and map knowledge to put up good looking numbers.

And decent builds, going into matches with stock mechs or potato loadouts isn't gonna do you or anyone on your team any favours.

*Edit* Oh and for anyone downplaying K/D and W/L, good players have good stats and bad players have bad stats. There is so much evidence for this that's there's no point in debating it. There's a reason SJR used to have a recruitment requirement of having a minimum K/D of 2.0 and old Lords having a 2.0 requirement then upping it to 3.0.

Edited by Spr1ggan, 03 January 2018 - 05:57 PM.

#37 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:03 PM

I'd say the most important attribute is a good attitude. Everything else stems from this and will come with a bit of patients and hard work.

I've been running different gaming groups for a long time and all the best players I see all have good attitudes. When pushed out of their comfort zone they rise to the occasion instead of bitching and rage quitting. Good attitude is everything.

#38 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:26 AM

How should i know?

#39 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:00 AM

A "Good player" has the following:

1) Can build a mech, and knows how to use it to its advantages, and how to compensate it's disadvantages.

2) Can, more often than not, at least take out the same amount of mechs out of a match as he/she puts in.. that means for QP 1 KMDD, and for FP 4 KMDDs. Alternatively, knows how to achieve a goal aimed towards victory (Knows when to cap, when to sacrifice himself for a good UAV, or when to provide distractions, or how to support others)

3) Is not toxic and abusive to other players, and is generally a good sport.

4) When playing in a team, can follow basic orders and focus fire.

5) Knows how to open a siege gate.

6) Does not block others or make the gaming experience worse for others by TK-ing, excessive team damage, meatshielding others, kill stealing and such.

7) Does not discriminate against any weapon or playstyle in the game.

8) Is not more worried about padding own's KDR than having a good time.

9) Can maintain com-discipline

10) Does not prolong the inevitable by hiding and powering down when it's the last living mech in a hopelessly lost game.

PS.

This is a fun thread.. it's interesting to read some people's responses, especially the ones which focus on numbers and scores, and only on the "effectiveness aspect" of the game.. not looking at the bigger picture.. It's obvious different people have skewed perception.. you can be the most effective T1 god and still be a terrible player if you ask me..

But that's just my humble opinion..

Edited by Vellron2005, 04 January 2018 - 02:15 AM.

#40 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:21 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 30 December 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

Winning.

How good are that winning matches.

If you consistently drive wins then you're good. Be that by teamwork or fighting skills or whatever.

Winning makes you good. Being good at losing but you do a lot of damage isn't a good player.

This.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users