11 replies to this topic

#1 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

Has anyone tried the NSR-9P with dual Heavy Gauss? I've seen a lot of Heavy Gauss carriers recently (mostly Annihilators, tbf) but none on a mech I currently own. I enjoy my NSR-9P quite a bit, so I figure I might be able to make it work. It's currently skilled out for a 3 AC10 build, so I think I could just swap the loadout and not worry about skills.

Now, obviously, it's crazy slow and has big, easy to kill STs, so this is hardly a GOOD idea, but I feel like it'd be fun. This is the build I'm considering. I (obviously!) have both Magazine Capacity nodes.

#2 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

This actually looks like a pretty good idea. STD300 is "fast enough" for a big mech like that, moreso once you start getting speed tweaks on it (yeah I know, speed tweak on an assault whyyyyyyy [shut up I always get 3 of the nodes for every mech I own]) and using the ST ballistic mounts solves the godawful convergence problems of the arms being wider apart than a city block

EDIT: I never consider CASE a worthwhile investment but would it be recommended on this build considering that the primary weapons are self-explosive?

Edited by Audacious Aubergine, 06 January 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#3 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

Yeah, that was pretty much my thinking. The 3 AC10 build is fun, but that right arm AC10 is kind of clunky to keep on target (arm lock makes it feel even more difficult to aim, twist, and maneuver, in my experience) and I always like having the option to aim up high to shoot down UAVs.

I am reasonably confident that I am aware of the flaws in the build (really slow, giant STs with explosive gauss rifles in them, need to waste a ton on CASE, only 42 rounds of ammunition before being left with just a pair of MPLs) but I think it could be a blast to play.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

Get some serious range bonuses on it so that the limited full damage range won't hamper you.

#5 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:40 PM

Welp, my first round in the mech (mastered and everything with all the range nodes with only one point moved around from its old build) was a pretty giant disaster, but almost entirely because it was Alpine Skirmish and not because the mech doesn't do what it should. Will update once I get a few games in with it.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:44 PM

Good luck.

Should remember to keep some kind of defense against lights. Pity Night Stars can't carry streaks...

#7 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:01 PM

Eh, the MPLs sort of work. They're easier to leg Lights with than the HGR at least. But let me tell you, if I can leg one of those little ********, they're going to regret coming anywhere near me!

#8 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:54 PM

Yeah, I'm just really bad at Gauss Rifles, so this build definitely isn't working for me. That's more pilot error than it is a problem with the loadout, I think. Back to the Triple AC10 build for the time being.

#9 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

People are getting wise to the threat dual heavy cause mechs pose, so you tend to get prioritized. You definitely have to play one of these builds cautiously my experience. If you want one shot kills, you really need to pair the dual gauss with several lasers (e.g. MLs). Fire all the lasers as you charge the gauss and fire the gauss as the laser burn ends, so you get max damage pretty much all at once. It's very hard to do, so you have to practice. Otherwise, just try to shoot wounded mechs.

On a side note, I fought my first Nightstar the other day. I came around a corner and thought, "Damn, that Ebon Jag is huge!" LOL

Edited by NRP, 14 January 2018 - 11:00 AM.

#10 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:04 PM

Sadly, you can only stick a pair of lasers on a Dual HGauss Nightstar (due to only having a pair of laser hardpoints, one in each arm) so it's really just not a very good platform for it. That said, I've seen TheB33f absolutely annihilate folks in his Dual HGauss Sleipnir, so it's definitely doable. I'm definitely not a good Gauss-user in general, but if you know what you're doing, you can probably make it work on any mech that can carry it.

#11 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:57 PM

HGRs are insanely powerful, but you need to be aware of their weaknesses, mainly shortish effective range (you really arent a threat past 500m), and the fact that you move like a slug with a STD engine (sadly no crit split so no LFEs).

That said, i have found that the single best HGR mech is the MAD-BH2, you got ~60 alfa strike with ERMLs and HGR, and you get so much DPS thanks to the HGR being nearly htea-free. Ofc the best dual HGR is the cyclops hero (so not a case of P2W), but its still sacrificing way too much for the ability to dump 50 PPFLD. While good shots can own games with said mech, so can anyone else with any other loadout provided its not missiles (which do suck terribly). And other builds including a few single HGR mechs with 6 or so ERMLs can do the same sort of devastation without being left behind the nascar.

#12 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:00 PM

View PostSeranov, on 13 January 2018 - 06:54 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm just really bad at Gauss Rifles, so this build definitely isn't working for me. That's more pilot error than it is a problem with the loadout, I think. Back to the Triple AC10 build for the time being.

When it comes to GRs, I thought I had the Gold medal in suckiness!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users