Question

7 replies to this topic

#1 PoohPuss

• PipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:32 AM

What can I use GXP for that I can't use XP for?

What is the best use for GXP?

#2 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:19 AM

GXP can be used to buy skill points, when you don't have enough XP to buy said skill points.

#3 Serpentine Shel Serpentine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:28 AM

I use it because you only get a 2x bonus for a first victory per mech per day. So I try to run through a few fully skilled mechs to get that bonus and convert the XP to GXP. If you play only one mech you only get that bonus once. It costs C-bills to convert but it helps to skill new mechs more quickly.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:45 AM

Currently, nothing.

Its primary use in MWO is to "pre-level" the skill tree of a mech you haven't driven yet or don't have enough regular XP for. Some mechs I had, I filled out their skill tree before even setting foot inside them.

#5 PoohPuss

• PipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:01 PM

Thanks.

I wondered because I saw a 'tube where a veteran said the best use of GXP was not to level mechs. Maybe the vid was was from to the pre-skilltree era. Few mwo-'tubers clean up their outdated guides and info unfortunately. I have been more misinformed than informed by researching mwo, and I appriciate the clarification. :/

Edited by PoohPuss, 07 January 2018 - 07:02 PM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:35 PM

View PostPoohPuss, on 07 January 2018 - 07:01 PM, said:

Thanks.

I wondered because I saw a 'tube where a veteran said the best use of GXP was not to level mechs. Maybe the vid was was from to the pre-skilltree era. Few mwo-'tubers clean up their outdated guides and info unfortunately. I have been more misinformed than informed by researching mwo, and I appriciate the clarification. :/

Prior to this skill tree, the old skill tree had a "Mech tree" and a "Pilot tree".

GXP was the only currency that could be used in the "Pilot tree."
Pilot tree was used to get things like consumable enhancements, modules, etc. All things you can get within the skill tree now.

The new skill tree only came to fruition earlier this year, and prior to that there has been nearly 5 years of documentation on things... so yeah, you may find a lot of old information.

Even so, this "first response" in the Short Question, Short Answer thread serving as a bit of a FAQ... is still over 90% accurate.
https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__2805237
Where it needs correction, naturally, is on the subject of skill trees.

(Also, it needs a correction on flamers as flamers no longer blind you.)
(And needs a minor correction on RACs, but still largely accurate in predicting their basic implementation years before they came out.)

Edited by Koniving, 07 January 2018 - 07:39 PM.

#7 John Stryker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:00 PM

I have over a million spare GXP. I would love to load my autocannons with it and shoot them out like confetti.

#8 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:04 PM

You can use the GXP across different mech chassis for skill points versus XP which is "stuck" to the mech you earned it on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users