Shadowhawk

6 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:11 PM

My MWO experience seems to be mastering one medium mech after another. Certainly it is my favourite size of mech.

I am struggling at the moment with the shadowhawk. I have the variant with 1 torso ballistic, 3 missile slots (inc one in the head and centre torso, so limited slots) and 3 arm mounted laser points. Quirks on the ballistic and the energy cool downs.

When I bought it, it was an AC20 carrying mech (AC20 and 3 ML; light engine, brawler).

This is okay and I do alright, but a tad on the slow side for what I'd like at short range. Wondering if anyone has come up with any longer range options with it?

#2 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

Based on the build you describe I assume you're using a Light 275 so how about this?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...711c5c776e55ce5

UAC10 has significantly better range over the AC20 while still providing significantly more close range punch than an AC5 or AC10. ERMLs can help reach out and do some complimentary damage. You could swap out some ammo and upgrade the SRM4 to a MRM10 but then all of your weapons would be able to poke out that distance and it sort of becomes redundant. Thats why I thought to go with a SRM4 with minimal ammo for it and extra UAC10 ammo.

#3 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

I would go (2x LLAS/ER LLAS with SRM12), (3x mlas/ermlas + RAC-5) or (LPLAS + 2x mlas/ermlas + AC-10).

Also don't be afraid to use XLs.

#4 YueFei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:34 PM

I've been having fun with an AC/20 + 3xSRM4 build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...17f94854b839a0a

Tank with the right arm and right shoulder. The instantaneous nature of the weapons helps you minimize exposure, and protect the torsos.

You can give it a try and see if you like it. The Ballistic Cooldown quirk on the SHD-2D makes it so that AC20 cooldown almost syncs exactly with SRM4 cooldown. If you do it right, you can get 2 salvos for the enemy's 1 salvo, if they're using anything with 4+ second cooldown. You've only got about a half-second margin to squeeze in your 2nd salvo though.

For Skill Tree, pick up Magazine Capacity (+2) and Missile Rack (+2). The build is light on ammunition as it is, so you'll need it. So far I've had 1 game (out of ~50) where I ran out of ammunition and it cost my team the game. But in all the other matches where I ran out of ammo, the team won.

You really want to be aggressive in this thing, it's very high risk, but you'd rather have yourself die while low on ammo, rather than living longer and having energy-weapon-based teammates die first, and then you run out of ammo anyway and lose the game. Just... make sure to check your sectors... several times I've died early in a match from getting shot in the back because i wasn't aware enough of where all the enemies were.

This thing should crank out 5 salvos non-stop on a heat-neutral map. 7 salvos if you burn a coolant flush. After that, it does take quite a long time to cool off (only 10 DHS), and you'll be able to sustain fire on only the AC/20 until you have a chance to break off to cool down, or coolant flush again.

Disclaimer: mech is definitely not meta. But if you're looking for large instantaneous burst damage at short range in a medium mech that jumps and is decently tanky, you can give this build a try.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

View PostIllCaesar, on 14 January 2018 - 09:57 AM, said:

Based on the build you describe I assume you're using a Light 275 so how about this?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...711c5c776e55ce5

UAC10 has significantly better range over the AC20 while still providing significantly more close range punch than an AC5 or AC10. ERMLs can help reach out and do some complimentary damage. You could swap out some ammo and upgrade the SRM4 to a MRM10 but then all of your weapons would be able to poke out that distance and it sort of becomes redundant. Thats why I thought to go with a SRM4 with minimal ammo for it and extra UAC10 ammo.

The above but drop it to 2 ERML in the LA, SRM 4 1.5tons RT/Head. UAC10 2.5tons ammo. 3JJ. Endo (LFerro-optional-dependent on engine) , engine range LFE 260-270, adjust based on ammo usage/shortage, near max armor (front loaded).

And I just realized the 2D is the only Shadowhawk I did not have til now. I have multiples of all the others (prizes, FP, etc) and play most of them, along with my Huntsmen.

#6 Gallius

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:14 AM

Honestly, if you want to run a decently quick AC/20 medium I'd suggest the HBK-4G. It's very literally built for it, and it's a lot of fun.

For the SHD-2H, I just bought one myself. These are my current design plans; no idea if they'll play well, but maybe you'll like them. LB10-X for mid-range, left-side peeking and close-in crits/alpha, SRMs and laser for right-side peek, brawling, and Light killing.

1xLB10-X, 3xSRM4, 1xML, 2xJJ, LFE250.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3a25000a47e51f2

Alternate version drops the ML, a single JJ, and both half-stacks of ammo for an LFE280.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...41657d35ec9dd05

#7 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

I don't have the 2D, but almoat all ShadowHawks can run some combo of AC10 class weapons with SRM backups.

AC10 for poptarting with 4SRM4's for brawling is solid. Upgrade to a UAC if you like to peek instead of poptart.

ShadowHawks are great at spreading damage as long as you can twist. If you are okay at twisting an XL is the way to go. If you have to face tank like with MRM's go with a LFE.

So many possibilities for builds though. Put in an LB10X and Streaks and you have a great light hunter brawler. UAC5 and MRM's is great mid range. I could even see Ann AC20, 3MPL, light 250, a jump jet and some Rocket Launchers!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users