27 replies to this topic

#21 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

View PostKhobai, on 16 January 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

youre not right. because none of the star league mechs that have long toms can be used by clans in MWO.

Long Toms are accessable to Clan mechs are regular tech. Just because they're not improved over IS/SL versions doesn't mean the disappeared into the aether.

ve explained this already. THERE IS NO CRIT SPLITTING IN THE GAME. which means long toms have to be hardwired to specific mechs. Namely the mechs that have longtoms in their stock configurations. Which clans dont have any of.

You may want to take a look at IS Arrow IVs. If Crit Splitting is the no-go point, than those aren't usable either. So Arrow IV, as you want it, is a Clan only piece of tech?

Also not sure how your tracking here. Even in mechs where Long Toms are stock, they're still split, and thus unusable.

you cannot simply stick a longtom on a kodiak or direwolf for example, because it takes up 15 crit slots.

You can't put Arrow IV in any IS mech for the same reason.

but theres also a myriad of other problems with the longtom like the fact it requires special coding for barrel pitch. Its simply not going to happen.

I'm not seeing how special coding is required. It's an arc based weapon. We have those already - Worst case scenario, it's just a single ATM projectile with ridiculous velocity.

Edited by Bombast, 16 January 2018 - 12:40 PM.

#22 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

Long Toms are accessable to Clan mechs are regular tech. Just because they're not improved over IS/SL versions doesn't mean the disappeared into the aether.

the problem isnt availability. the problem is the fact theres no crit splitting so you cant physically add it to any mechs.

and hardwiring as a workaround only makes sense on mechs that use that weapon on their stock configurations.

clans dont have any mechs that use longtom on their stock configs. at least not until 3145... which is about 75 years ahead of the current timeline.

You may want to take a look at IS Arrow IVs. If Crit Splitting is the no-go point, than those aren't usable either. So Arrow IV, as you want it, is a Clan only piece of tech?

no it would be hardwired onto mechs that use it as part of their stock equipment. ive explained this already.

catapult-C3 for example has ARROWIV stock, so it would simply be hardwired on the catapult-C3.

You can't put Arrow IV in any IS mech for the same reason.

you can if you hardwire it.

but hardwiring only makes sense on mechs that carry those weapons stock.

it doesnt make sense to hardwire a weapon system onto a mech that doesnt normally use that weapon.

I'm not seeing how special coding is required. It's an arc based weapon. We have those already - Worst case scenario, it's just a single ATM projectile with ridiculous velocity.

because mechs cant pitch their torso up enough to aim it properly. max torso pitch is only like 30 degrees. and some mechs only have like 16 degree torso pitch. longtom would need special coding to increase or decrease its barrel pitch independently of the mech's torso.

and longtoms are not lockon missile weapons. theyre arcing ballistic weapons.

if youre going to make longtom a lockon missile weapon, which its not supposed to be, you might as well just add ARROWIV instead which actually is a lockon missile weapon.

Edited by Khobai, 16 January 2018 - 12:56 PM.

#23 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

View PostKhobai, on 16 January 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

no it would be hardwired onto mechs that use it as part of their stock equipment. ive explained this already.

PGI makes up variants on a regular basis.

Bam. Long Tom 'no-variant' issue resolved.

you can if you hardwire it.

Ok.

because mechs cant pitch their torso up enough to aim it properly. max torso pitch is only like 30 degrees.

As I said, Long Toms automatically disable the arm movement of the mechs (Or rather arms) they're installed on. So link the pitch to the arm reticle and hard lock barrels (As in the location of the cannon on the model) to the arms.

Wham bam thank you ma'am.

and longtoms are not lockon missile weapons. theyre ballistic arcing weapons.

And ATMs can't be fired without a lock on, so their trajectory system wouldn't work.. right?

EDIT: Or they could make a new firing profile - Long Toms 'Lock On,' but don't track. Wouldn't that be neat.

Edited by Bombast, 16 January 2018 - 12:53 PM.

#24 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

PGI makes up variants on a regular basis.

but they dont have to make up variants with the ARROWIV, the canon variants that use that ARROWIV already exist and are timeline appropriate

and it doesnt require allowing clan mechs to use IS mechs or adding dynamic crit splitting or special coding for barrel pitch.

As I said, Long Toms automatically disable the arm movement of the mechs (Or rather arms) they're installed on. So link the pitch to the arm reticle and hard lock barrels (As in the location of the cannon on the model) to the arms.

that still doesnt work. an atlas for example only has a 30 degree arm pitch.

its not enough pitch to use the longtom.

the existing pitch system wont work which is what ive been trying to explain to you

longtom would require specialized coding for barrel pitch which is why it wont be implemented ever

also making the longtom lock your arm reticle makes no sense if you have arm weapons in the opposite arm. it should not prevent you from moving the opposite arm side to side.

EDIT: Or they could make a new firing profile - Long Toms 'Lock On,' but don't track. Wouldn't that be neat

then why not just add arrow IV which is supposed to lockon? and requires less overall effort to add than the longtom. and accomplishes pretty much the same thing.

Edited by Khobai, 16 January 2018 - 01:37 PM.

#25 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

View PostKhobai, on 16 January 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

that still doesnt work. an atlas for example only has a 30 degree arm pitch.

And? Who said Long Toms need to fire straight up? Who says this couldn't be a 'balancing' thing, like different mechs having different ranges? Who says Long Toms couldn't change a mechs arm pitch?

Artillery weapons, one way or another, are going to change how the game plays, and how the construction rules work. You just seem upset at the idea that they wont change the way you want them to.

#26 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

And? Who said Long Toms need to fire straight up?

they dont need to fire at 90 degrees. but they do need to fire at more than 30 degrees.

Who says this couldn't be a 'balancing' thing, like different mechs having different ranges?

there is no mech in the game that has enough arm pitch to make the longtom work.

40 degree arm pitch is the most on any mech that can actually use a longtom. thats not enough.

but the vast majority of mechs only have 30 degree arm pitch. And even less torso pitch.

your idea simply will not work. its the same reason PGI could never get mech mortars to work (theyre in the weapons xml they were just never added in the final version of the game). mechs dont pitch up enough to get the ballistic arcs you need.

adding ARROWIV is just way easier and more likely to happen.

Edited by Khobai, 16 January 2018 - 01:45 PM.

#27 Bless_O_Blee

• PipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

Oooof I made this post when I was drunk and was looking up artillery stuff for the mechwarrior universe. Yeah I know about the broken AI controlled long tom when it was a thing. If they could actually some how implement artillery styled mechs into the game and make it balance so you don't just one shot players. I think this would shake up the gameplay a bit more in my opinion.

Not sure how much ammo some of the mechs could carry with artillery pieces but I would imagine for balancing it would be very few shots for players to hold.

Edited by Hawk Eye Gouge, 18 January 2018 - 02:04 PM.

#28 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

View PostHawk Eye Gouge, on 16 January 2018 - 09:21 AM, said:

Anyone have ideas how PGI could implement the long tom cannon if they wanted to? I think if we had Artillery pieces it would make the game really interesting. I understand we have the artillery and airstrike skills but I mean how badass would it be to have a big artillery mech?

Maybe make it so only one player per team can have a long tom or something?

YOU CALLED DOWN THE THUNDER! NOW REAP THE WHIRLWIND!

sure Long Tom has a kick butt animation

they could have the long tom open the gates on attack easy-peasy
either hit the gate generator or hit the gate

it would hardly have an effect on the match balance but the visual aspect would be assume

another option would be

EMP (electro magnetic pulse) and this would apply to both sides (either side could call it in)
but only apply to the attacked

that is you call in the long tom and when it hits it does not do any damage to your Mechs but
it makes the opposing teams hud disappear out to 600 meters and screws up there huds out to 1000 meters

it would not effect the Mechs that called in the long tom (the side that called the long tom would be able to synch there anti-EMP to the called in long tom)

* note: I know you have to put a super sci fi spin on things for it to work

so to answer the OP yep it can be done

https://youtu.be/ht7MGv4UqtA?t=218

Edited by Davegt27, 19 January 2018 - 02:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users