130 replies to this topic

#61 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

View Postshameless, on 19 January 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

**** mobility (because its clan) next to no quirks (again, clan) and made of cardboard.... yeah way to make me feel good about giving you money PGI..

Would you rather they take away 2/3 of the weapon hardpoints instead?

#62 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 691 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

quirks are about what i expected, which is fine. please remember to fix the broken heat dissipation quirks found on some of the older mechs though.

**** mobility (because its clan) next to no quirks (again, clan) and made of cardboard.... yeah way to make me feel good about giving you money PGI..

yeah let’s just delete the locust from the game.

#63 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:12 PM

Uhm seriuosly what did you expect? A ridiculously OP mech with 15+ sustained DPS, locust/commando-like agility and wolfhound-like survivability?

It was crystal-clear that PGI won't give it any significant structure/armor quirks, the best we can hope is that the hitboxes are decent enough.

In fact i wonder they even gave the energy-boat that +12% heat-dissipation quirk. That's 6 additional cool-run nodes. So in my opinion at least this variant is quirked excellent if you play it right.

For 20t mobility lacks of cause, but it's okay given it's firepower. Especially the deceleration is exactly what i need to make it work.

PGI had to gimp this beast a bit to have any chance of preventing it from outshining all other light mechs. And the glass-cannon approach does make sense given it's hardpoints. It probably won't be competitive this way but when hitboxes are decent it will at least be a very fun QP mech.

Edited by Daggett, 19 January 2018 - 02:20 PM.

#64 TechChris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Midwest, I think??? Dang "Drinkin Man's" Shooter bad for my memory! ^_^

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

Well, pilot name checks out as accurate at least!

I mean good grief, what were you expecting?

Fast enough for HSR shield, Clan Tech n all its benefits, ridiculously high hard point count, AND you want crazy mobility, AND you want overly boosted health??? I mean WTF? There's gotta be a compromise somewhere, ya can't just literally have EVERYTHING just cause you think your entitled to some "God-tier" mech just cause you paid for early access. This is pretty much exactly what most rational people expected it to be......... Fast, tiny, Clan tech, with a gazillion hard points, but at least has a weakness of being "fragile"...... Whenever shots manage to connect with it.

Personally, I don't think it should have even gotten the structure quirks it did get, but whatever.
Least the heat dissipation ones make sense, standard issue for a mech with a sub-250 rated engine since those can't have the full 10 internal true dub heatsinks.

Edited by TechChris, 19 January 2018 - 04:03 PM.

#65 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

The sensible quirks please me. The placeholder hardpoints on the torsos slightly less so

#66 clan hope

• PipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

really the enhancement are bull and and you all know it

#67 clan hope

• PipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

View PostTechChris, on 19 January 2018 - 03:58 PM, said:

Well, pilot name checks out as accurate at least!

I mean good grief, what were you expecting?

Fast enough for HSR shield, Clan Tech n all its benefits, ridiculously high hard point count, AND you want crazy mobility, AND you want overly boosted health??? I mean WTF? There's gotta be a compromise somewhere, ya can't just literally have EVERYTHING just cause you think your entitled to some "God-tier" mech just cause you paid for early access. This is pretty much exactly what most rational people expected it to be......... Fast, tiny, Clan tech, with a gazillion hard points, but at least has a weakness of being "fragile"...... Whenever shots manage to connect with it.

Personally, I don't think it should have even gotten the structure quirks it did get, but whatever.
Least the heat dissipation ones make sense, standard issue for a mech with a sub-250 rated engine since those can't have the full 10 internal true dub heatsinks.

look at the locust quircks and see why he is saying that and the pre nerf of clan machine guns

#68 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 691 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:02 PM

View Postclan hope, on 19 January 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

look at the locust quircks and see why he is saying that and the pre nerf of clan machine guns

the locust has fairly minimal quirks itself. certainly not enough to put it on the same level as the piranha.

#69 Conner Ward

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:13 PM

View Postcougurt, on 19 January 2018 - 06:02 PM, said:

the locust has fairly minimal quirks itself. certainly not enough to put it on the same level as the piranha.

Yes, but the Locust has rediculous overlapping hitboxes that make if far more durable than it should be and we don't know how the Piranha's hitboxes will be yet.

#70 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:13 PM

We have moved beyond glass cannons, behold the snowflake cannon. And remember kids, 23rd is streak-crow day.

#71 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:36 PM

View PostDaggett, on 19 January 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

In fact i wonder they even gave the energy-boat that +12% heat-dissipation quirk. That's 6 additional cool-run nodes. So in my opinion at least this variant is quirked excellent if you play it right.

Do you NOT understand how the game mechanics behind the mechs work ? Any mechs with engines smaller than a 250 rating suffer in the heat cooling department because of how PGI treats single and double heat sinks. Only double heat sinks actually located inside the engine space, up to a maximum of ten, are given full proper cooling rates of 0.2 per second. All the ones located outside the engine or any in the engine space in excess of the ten maximum, only cool at 0.15 per second. But every mech needs at least 10 heat sinks to function before you can launch a game with it.

THUS... a mech like a piranha or a locust or an urbie with a restricted engine cap below 250, gets a quirk to compensate for the loss of engine heat sinks compared to something like a nova which comes with a 250 rated engine.

Currently...it used to have better ones.

#72 P0607

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:46 PM

So it appears that PIR-B is just a downgraded version of the hero mech? There will certainly be some defenders that will claim that PIR-B has 8 extra points of structure and a HUGE mobility advantage, so it is obviously on par or even better than the hero mech. So nice of PGI to put the stats of the two variants close together so we can see that the only thing they think about is money.

Edited by P0607, 19 January 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#73 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 559 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:33 PM

The locust hero has ecm (and is owned by about half of the IS) while no piranha variant does and the locust is also faster than the piranha.

View PostRavenous Starling, on 19 January 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

We have moved beyond glass cannons, behold the snowflake cannon. And remember kids, 23rd is streak-crow day.

Forget about the streak bushwacker and streak kintaro so soon?

Edited by Jep Jorgensson, 19 January 2018 - 08:41 PM.

#74 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 757 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:22 PM

The quarks are ok... the 2 and 3 should have a small heat gen quark.

#75 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

I'm excited about the potential to mount 6 flamers and 6 ER Smalls or ERSHs on a mech that can actually survive closing with the enemy (unlike a slow, fat Nova).

Flame on!

#76 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 691 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

View PostConner Ward, on 19 January 2018 - 06:13 PM, said:

Yes, but the Locust has rediculous overlapping hitboxes that make if far more durable than it should be and we don't know how the Piranha's hitboxes will be yet.

i can’t say i’ve noticed this myself. my experience has been that a clean shot on a locust will very often result in a kill. in fact, i find them to be among the easiest light mechs to deal with.

View PostJep Jorgensson, on 19 January 2018 - 08:33 PM, said:

The locust hero has ecm (and is owned by about half of the IS) while no piranha variant does and the locust is also faster than the piranha.

the importance of ECM is massively overstated, and i’ve felt this way about it even before the nerfs. i suppose it has some value in deterring streak boats, but i would gladly trade it for 12+ hardpoints and clantech.

Edited by cougurt, 19 January 2018 - 11:07 PM.

#77 tokumboh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 320 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:43 AM

Seen lots of people commenting. My first thought is no mech ever goes into battle alone even scouting in QP I tend to pair up with another light since the firepower advantage of any single light we come across is amplified.

I think the PIR is exactly where it should be it has enough firepower for late game kills and enough speed for early game evasion. it is slightly lower in mobility than a locust but it has hardpoints for days and in a light on light fight it will not be clear to me that it is weak.

Now what is interesting is the use of the micro laser. I have not found a good use or a build that would use them. In the early game (I am talking QP) if you are a light you want some reach, some mobility to step in and out and in the late game you want crits. This will be a good late game crit dealing mech

I am not sure it has a place in FP over other lights or in competitive play though

#78 Hauptmann Keg Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:51 AM

View Posttokumboh, on 20 January 2018 - 02:43 AM, said:

I am not sure it has a place in FP over other lights or in competitive play though

Being the first Clan 20-tonner, its biggest contribution to FP is jankier drop decks. You could do a deck with 2 Kodiaks and 2 Piranhas if you really wanted to.

#79 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:44 AM

View Postclan hope, on 19 January 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

Now look at;
how many weapons each can bring
how Clan MGs are lighter than IS
how Clan lasers are more damaging than IS
how Clan DHS are smaller than IS
how much more space Clan Endo & Ferro leaves you, compared to IS
how Clan XL >>> IS XL

Do you understand why the Piranha has less quirks now? Good.

#80 ThiefofAlways

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

Garbage quicks other than heat and since you will be heavy MG doesn't do that much.

PGI nerfing clans again in hopes of getting more IS sales. Your continue to nerf Clan has cost you a number of sales from me and my friends, with even some cancelled. Keep up the good work.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users