#1 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:50 AM

or did they raise it purely in order to sell more Black Lanner mechpacks?

https://mwomercs.com...e-changed-to-55

#2 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:51 AM

Yes.

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:58 AM

I'm thinking it has something to do with the pre-orders...

Can't say I'm surprised, the Black Lanner is hyper specialized... like to the point that it is trying to do the same job (Forward recon / fire support) as a mech 15 tons lighter... Yes that's right, I said 15 tons... the Coyotl a 40t Omni-mech packs just as much armour and more firepower at the same base speed (7/11) as the Black Lanner....

#4 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:05 AM

It's probably a sign of the end times.

No comms from Russ since well before Mechcon, blatantly obvious balance change in order to sell more mechs, all adds up to a failing product/company in my mind, but then I am a salty whale.

#5 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

View PostDogstar, on 24 January 2018 - 07:50 AM, said:

or did they raise it purely in order to sell more Black Lanner mechpacks?

https://mwomercs.com...e-changed-to-55

I said that twice yesterday ;)

#6 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

IMO there was no reason for it to be different at this point. 55 v 55 is good.

#7 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,926 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 24 January 2018 - 09:14 AM, said:

IMO there was no reason for it to be different at this point. 55 v 55 is good.

I think so too, but I will be shocked if the BL becomes a mainstay in scouting (unless it has quirks up the wazoo...and I don’t think it will). Brawlers are going to stay with their currrent 50 toners or go back to the old Stormcrows. Players that kite are going to likely stick with the Fridge. Do you think the BL will impact scouting much?

#8 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

Not really. If you are proposing the theory that sales are driven by P2W meta I fail to see how either choice in the 55 ton category is superior to the lighter choices currently used.

More likely the reasoning is coincidental or completely unrelated.

My take is the abysmal performance of hundreds/thousands of raw potatoes in the December giveaway prompted Uncle Russ to bring back the Streakcrow. They extended the event twice and ultimately lowered the requirements owing to the vast amount of suckage.

250 was nothing, nothing...I posted numerous threads how one could easily accomplish this but, you can lead a horse to water....

Edited by Spheroid, 24 January 2018 - 10:10 AM.

#9 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 24 January 2018 - 09:47 AM, said:

I think so too, but I will be shocked if the BL becomes a mainstay in scouting (unless it has quirks up the wazoo...and I don’t think it will). Brawlers are going to stay with their currrent 50 toners or go back to the old Stormcrows. Players that kite are going to likely stick with the Fridge. Do you think the BL will impact scouting much?

I dunno, its a fast mech that isn't quite as vulnerable to streaks as others. *shrugs*

#10 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:59 AM

Yes, It seems likely that this was the reasoning. However, it may still be a dangerous kiting platform, 3, high mounted energy slots and a tweaked speed of 120+kph.

#11 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:00 AM

Well people were complaining about it before the release. Saying they needed the Stormcrow to be competitive again. Even though some people were saying they would still rather take a Huntsman or Hunchie IIC. It was convenient for them to change it. But I wouldn't say it's the only reason.

#12 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 639 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

So give the clans 10% more weight to work with... sounds right, a couple of streak crows with a couple of LBX 40 hunchies........GG close. With the way IS dominates FW, it makes sense.....LOL. No more scouting wins= even less chance for IS, but they are so powerful, winning all the planets, and all the buffs to the IS in the last patch to help equalize.....hahahahaha.

No matter how you try to put lipstick on this pig, it still squeals. There was a reason why they dropped the tonnage so clans couldn't use SCs, they tank like bosses and still carry very nice amounts of firepower, maybe nobody remembers how it was.

But this is PGI, and they are more than willing to ignore balance to sell mechs.....BL anybody.

#13 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

View PostPapaspud, on 24 January 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

So give the clans 10% more weight to work with... sounds right, a couple of streak crows with a couple of LBX 40 hunchies........GG close. With the way IS dominates FW, it makes sense.....LOL. No more scouting wins= even less chance for IS, but they are so powerful, winning all the planets, and all the buffs to the IS in the last patch to help equalize.....hahahahaha.

No matter how you try to put lipstick on this pig, it still squeals. There was a reason why they dropped the tonnage so clans couldn't use SCs, they tank like bosses and still carry very nice amounts of firepower, maybe nobody remembers how it was.

But this is PGI, and they are more than willing to ignore balance to sell mechs.....BL anybody.

what?

#14 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

It almost certainly was done to sell Black Lanners. The people who wanted to buy one had been begging for it since it was announced.

Luckily (Or unfortunately, depending on your point of view I suppose), it changes almost nothing in scouting. The Stormcrow isn't really an upgrade, and I don't think the Black Lanner can do anything better than the Ice Ferret can, speed/kiting wise.

#15 Direwoof

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKamloooooooops

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

They need to up teh tonnage in FP for clans to 260 at least if not 265 equal as the IS.

#16 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

Bingo ! You are correct sir ! It's all about $$$$ and sales and refunds were really running pretty high and they gave in....... Don't worry, after a few months they'll revert back in soime way cause the IS pilots will be screaming bloddy hell......not because SCR are that great, just because PGI broke the pattern the BSW's were use to..... Just wait.

#17 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:21 PM

bushwhackers didnt exist when they dropped the tonnage so clans couldnt use stormcrows

so your point is irrelevant

bushwhacker is way better than a SC, letting clans use SC again changes nothing.

thats why PGI did it, because it changes nothing, but it lets people use their black lanners.

IS will still dominate scout mode. even more if people actually use black lanners.

if PGI truly wanted to balance scout mode better. they would force teams to be 2 mediums and 2 lights.

Edited by Khobai, 24 January 2018 - 09:24 PM.

#18 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:00 AM

View PostKhobai, on 24 January 2018 - 09:21 PM, said:

bushwhackers didnt exist when they dropped the tonnage so clans couldnt use stormcrows

so your point is irrelevant

bushwhacker is way better than a SC, letting clans use SC again changes nothing.

thats why PGI did it, because it changes nothing, but it lets people use their black lanners.

IS will still dominate scout mode. even more if people actually use black lanners.

if PGI truly wanted to balance scout mode better. they would force teams to be 2 mediums and 2 lights.

2 mediums and 2 lights would imbalance the mode further. IS absolutely dominates in the light bracket. 2 Wolfhound-2s with 6 MPLs and their super armor quirks just deletes any of the Clan light competition. We'd also still have the current issue of Bushwackers > all Clan brawlers and Assassins > all Clan kites unchanged.

Honestly it seems most of the issue with IS in scouting is that they rarely ever run anything close to the meta. I'm on Clan this week to see in what ways Stormcrows change up the meta. Its definitely very far from the easy mode of Bushwacker 4 man just running over everyone, you need to use proper tactics just to beat semi competent PUGs rather than just smashing your face against them.

Most of the IS players we fight against are running so many mechs against the meta, even the Bushwackers we went against often enough had some LRMs on them, a mixed build, or some RACs. Other mechs had ERPPCs mixed with SRMs, surprising amounts of class 10 ACs, also LL centurions, ERLL Ravens attempting to brawl was also somewhat common. Overall an absolute mess compared to Clans more often running Stormcrow squads, though we did have matches with light mechs dragging us down from time to time.

I think really the only main balance change that the Stormcrow being back will offer is that the Clan pugs will more often end up in groups of the same mech while the IS ones will be completely mixed. Balance at the top remains entirely unchanged with IS domination while in the middle and lower areas where people don't know what's good or not IS has more mechs and their mechs allow more engine customization on average than the Clan ones allowing them to have many more options to field than a Clan mech, but both sides only have about the same number of good options while the rest are pretty bad. This just results in the IS having many more bad mechs on the field than Clans. Team games are lost by the actions of bad players, rarely won by the actions of the best.

#19 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:03 AM

2 mediums and 2 lights would imbalance the mode further.

streaks have no problems killing IS lights.

and clan lights can take way more weapons than IS lights

so I dont believe thats true

in scout mode, lights dont have to go fast. speed matters more in comp play because its conquest.

2 mediums and 2 lights would be better balanced than fighting 4 bushwhackers. it would also bring lights back to the gamemode.

Edited by Khobai, 25 January 2018 - 01:06 AM.

#20 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:21 AM

View PostKhobai, on 25 January 2018 - 01:03 AM, said:

streaks have no problems killing IS lights.

and clan lights can take way more weapons than IS lights

so I dont believe thats true

in scout mode, lights dont have to go fast. speed matters more in comp play because its conquest.

2 mediums and 2 lights would be better balanced than fighting 4 bushwhackers. it would also bring lights back to the gamemode.

Adder's will die in two shots to the (very hard to miss) CT from a 6 MPL Wolfhound, Wolfhound can very easily get 2 shots off before the Adder reloads its alpha of 4 SSRM6s that take 6 seconds to reload. So RIP Adder. A Wolfhound before skill tree has 59 health in its side torso, even if you were a god of RNG and magically made every single SSRM you fired hit the same side torso you'd still lose. Instead you do a little under 7 damage on average to each component with equal spread taking you 2 alphas just to remove the arm that no one ever armors off the Wolfhound.

If your Stormcrows are also all sitting there running 5 Streaks that couldn't even beat the Griffins in the old days running 4 ASRM6, you've got no chance of beating the Bushwacker.

I stand by saying it would be much worse.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users