Question About Streak Srms.

12 replies to this topic

#1 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:08 PM

So I don't really use Streaks. I use them so little, in fact, that the only 'mech I have that is equipped with a Streak launcher is my Grasshopper which mounts a single SSRM4 in the head that has proven useful when forced to combat a light 'mech in close quarters. Previously, I had written streaks off as mostly useless unless you are wanting to specialize in light/medium hunting and in doing so you were making yourself dreadfully ineffective against larger targets. I didn't think much about the recent change to Streaks that made it to where SSRM launchers would no longer target destroyed components. But tonight I saw a Cyclops that was bristling with 7 SSRM4s. And he seemed to be eating even larger targets with relative ease. So are SSRMs useful against larger targets now that they no longer target destroyed components, or did I just watch someone get lucky once? I'd try it myself, but I'm a bit space poor at the moment.

Edited by Mole, 17 January 2018 - 08:09 PM.

#2 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

I generally don't use them myself, as I can actually aim.... but I do know a loop hole in the missile code lets SSRM's benefit from Artemis FCS (Fire Control System), with out needing to pay the tonnage and crit size increase....

#3 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:31 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 17 January 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

I generally don't use them myself, as I can actually aim.... but I do know a loop hole in the missile code lets SSRM's benefit from Artemis FCS (Fire Control System), with out needing to pay the tonnage and crit size increase....

I thought they recently patched that out as well.

#4 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:53 PM

I don't know when they changed it to not target components that aren't there but that change isn't really enough to make a SSRM Cyclops beat anything that is fresh of equal tonnage.

I only used streaks for the faction war event in scouting, I literally bought a BSW and loaded it with tag and streaks for the event.

Considering how I was killing fewer people but doing more overall damage I think they're still not good for hunting big game.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:57 PM

View PostMole, on 17 January 2018 - 08:08 PM, said:

But tonight I saw a Cyclops that was bristling with 7 SSRM4s. And he seemed to be eating even larger targets with relative ease. So are SSRMs useful against larger targets now that they no longer target destroyed components, or did I just watch someone get lucky once? I'd try it myself, but I'm a bit space poor at the moment.

The Cyclops probably got lucky rolls on the Streaks, and managed to hit the same location a lot. Seven SSRM4s on a Cyclops is huge waste of tonnage, as you can get six SSRM4s on a Bushwacker, at 35 tons less. Streak cyclops is pretty hilarious in Conquest match though, as no enemy capper can challenge it head on.

#6 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:29 PM

Streaks are hardcoded to spread ther Missiles in a certain random pattern all over a Mechs parts but recently they habe been recoded to avoid destroyed parts thus becoming more lethal the more a Mech is damaged as more Missiles aim at the same part.
Somewhere in the depths of the Forum must be a chart about the chances of streaks hitting a certain mech part - before that change all Streaks aimed at the Center Mass but IS-SSRM2 were "to deadly" some influential Players claimed.

Artemis accelerated Lock On but i havent used Streaks since a long time and do not know if they patched this "error" out.

In short: PGI hates Missiles and does no good to them...

#7 Mechrophilia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 397 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

"Streaclops" does seem pretty silly. He/She probably made that build as a counter to the machine-gun-Chihuahua event. One scan of that 'clops likely made them chose another target with great haste, lol !!!

#8 BenAran

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 92 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:08 AM

Sometimes, really SOMETIMES, Streaks can be rather obnoxious, but thats just RNG.
Had a match with my hunchie.
I basically had one of my legs almost immediatly stripped of armor by streaks while the rest of my mech remained fresh.
That was pretty annoying, but it was rare.

#9 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:26 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 17 January 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

Somewhere in the depths of the Forum must be a chart about the chances of streaks hitting a certain mech part - before that change all Streaks aimed at the Center Mass but IS-SSRM2 were "to deadly" some influential Players claimed.

At same time we also had (S)SRM splash damage which made it possible to raven 3L with 2x SSRM2 to center core atlas pretty quickly... said ravens also had better durability (hit reg issues) than Assassin have now.

also now that this topic talks about cyclops, we can build this (ssrm4 plz, we can have ssrm6) CP-10-Q 7xSSRM6 and if we still had that CT homing (even without splash) this would 1 shot any light and strip all of the CT armor of any medium mech in the game (ok maybe not bushwacker because of quirks). And that would be kinda silly?

#10 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:12 AM

But tonight I saw a Cyclops that was bristling with 7 SSRM4s. And he seemed to be eating even larger targets with relative ease.

Streaks are still pretty bad against anything bigger than a 40 tonner.

Cyclops is much better off with MRMs against larger targets.

Edited by Khobai, 18 January 2018 - 08:13 AM.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

So I don't really use Streaks. I use them so little, in fact, that the only 'mech I have that is equipped with a Streak launcher is my Grasshopper which mounts a single SSRM4 in the head that has proven useful when forced to combat a light 'mech in close quarters. Previously, I had written streaks off as mostly useless unless you are wanting to specialize in light/medium hunting and in doing so you were making yourself dreadfully ineffective against larger targets. I didn't think much about the recent change to Streaks that made it to where SSRM launchers would no longer target destroyed components. But tonight I saw a Cyclops that was bristling with 7 SSRM4s. And he seemed to be eating even larger targets with relative ease. So are SSRMs useful against larger targets now that they no longer target destroyed components, or did I just watch someone get lucky once? I'd try it myself, but I'm a bit space poor at the moment.

Did he see my Cyclops?
I do this. Chain fire (when fired streaks will try to pick different targets from each other, this is far less random when fired in sequence than all at once, allowing for better focus of damage), streaks galore, couple of large lasers.

#12 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

2) I have also recently seen a cyclops wreck face with those streaks but I also know it wont last

4) the Artemis boost to streaks was done away with a while ago (people cried and it was removed)

#13 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:34 PM

nom nom nom....streak boats the 23rd, it shall be gloriousssss....till we kill all the lights then realize, we have nothing to kill the big ones with lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users