I was listening to a NGNG pod cast and someone mentioned

Chromehounds so I tried to look it up

I found this
I can see why Angry Joe is so popular, he is pretty funny

[Redacted]

and yeah I know the thread will get moved
but it might indicate there are things that could be
done to improve this game which is why I am posting this here

Edited by draiocht, 28 January 2018 - 03:07 AM.
video contains inappropriate content

#2 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:36 PM

Loved Chromehounds. Played with my friends for quite some time. Had some issues but was fun.

#3 Teepers

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

XBL Party Chat was the mortal wound that started the games downfall. A significant portion of the game was securing comm towers so you could actually communicate with your teammates, after that it just started going downhill fast. I remember logging in and playing after party chat was out and there wasn't much mech variety at that point. Everyone was running the most destructive layouts possible. Wasn't much room for scouts or defenders, soldiers were just gone, and commanders were a rare sight. Every time you fought you knew you were going up against snipers and artillery loadouts. Now its dead, and its never coming back. Some guy is making M.A.V. which is essentially Chromehounds and he actually made it through the legal red tape (thats how much From Software doesn't care about it) but he is still just one guy so he will probably die of old age before finishing.

#4 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

no mech variety sounds familiar

#5 cinco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

angry joe isn't funny, normies just laugh at everything.

#6 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

normies lol

#7 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

i bought chrome hounds 5 years after it was released, and totally missed the online only train, so I missed all the fun. I was super interested in the storyline.

i bought chrome hounds 5 years after it was released, and totally missed the online only train, so I missed all the fun. I was super interested in the storyline.

#8 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:37 PM

Chromehounds was great up until there were only literal single digits playing. Your jaw would drop if you saw one other person. But then it was shut down.

#9 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:14 PM

I enjoyed this game and to my mind, probably the best mech game ever made. This is a game that was distinctly made for community warfare from the ground up. The single player mission campaign is really just training along with the TDM modes.

The squad I joined up with, likes to play the big bad Russian faction, and often have red stars on our Hounds. Naturally we enjoy crushing the belligerent imperialistic forces of the West that backs one faction, along with the Ottoman Empire wannabees.

You can also say this is the slow, earth bound, version of Armored Core, and many of the components looks like they are lifted from the other game (same development company as Armored Core and Dark Souls) to save on the artwork and modeling. Armored Core later applied the community warfare ideas of Chromehounds into its online side. The construction system on Chromehounds is the same as Armored Core's. Practically the game's content is in the form of components and modules that you construct your personal mech with, sets of heads, torsos, arms, bipedal legs, reverse jointed legs, quad legs, tracks, and so on. This allows for unprecedented unending customization.

This is the one game where you have community warfare that actually works. When you finally attack the enemy nation's capital, or defending your own, its a unique map of its own --- every sector is a unique map --- of a classic old style European city, and you enter into bitter street fighting across city blocks.

Edited by Anjian, 27 January 2018 - 08:26 PM.

#10 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:30 PM

View PostTeepers, on 27 January 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

XBL Party Chat was the mortal wound that started the games downfall. A significant portion of the game was securing comm towers so you could actually communicate with your teammates, after that it just started going downhill fast. I remember logging in and playing after party chat was out and there wasn't much mech variety at that point. Everyone was running the most destructive layouts possible. Wasn't much room for scouts or defenders, soldiers were just gone, and commanders were a rare sight. Every time you fought you knew you were going up against snipers and artillery loadouts. Now its dead, and its never coming back. Some guy is making M.A.V. which is essentially Chromehounds and he actually made it through the legal red tape (thats how much From Software doesn't care about it) but he is still just one guy so he will probably die of old age before finishing.

True. Worse still, I would cheat with my brother by having us play the game in the same room. That way we could communicate super easily. XD

I played a bit online, too. It's a lot of fun when no one's cheating. Sometimes I would be trapped alone, and I would have to capture an enemy COMBAS to communicate with them and formulate a plan.

Another time I was playing a Soldier style mech, and I was sneaking up on an enemy sniper. However, one of my teammates spots me and the enemy. I try to tell him which was is my, but I still take a hit. The leader had to point out who I was. XD

Also, proper use of artillery was hard, but it was really cool. It was a legitimate strategy to have a guy spot the range and direction for another mech hauling around huge cannons. Freaking awesome.

#11 Kasumi Sumika

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:34 PM

Basically the customization is like Armored Core but with slower and more tactical gameplay. Sadly the server shutdown by Sega long ago and pretty much dead. Finger crossed for PC port for Chromehounds but I doubt it.

#12 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:15 PM

SEGA is toxic. Anything they do eventually goes down the drain.

Being XBox 360 only was a mistake, especially when its intended audience was to capture the Japanese market.

The difference between PGI and FromSoftware in terms of talent and developmental resources are vast. I always thought why Microsoft decided to finance this along with SEGA, but you know what, Microsoft could have contracted FromSoft to do a Mechwarrior title instead to help sell the XBox 360 (Microsoft contracted FromSoft to do a Steel Battalions game using the Microsoft Kinect years later). You pay the right guys the right amount of money and they will do it.

#13 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:55 PM

View PostAnjian, on 27 January 2018 - 09:15 PM, said:

SEGA is toxic. Anything they do eventually goes down the drain.

While true, at least for the time being SEGA puts out a good product for that year. A good example being the Naomi/Naomi 2 systems (Crazy Taxi/Initial D). Nowadays, people have put in time to come up with emulators to replay all these SEGA classic arcade games on your PC. SEGA might let it die, but the gamers will keep it running (and free!).

#14 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:02 PM

yeah I loved that game but never got to play the online. sadly I got it just days after the servers were shut down.

#15 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:01 AM

[mod]This thread has been moved to
Off Topic Discussions.[/mod]

#16 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:27 AM