Patcher End Of Life Post

104 replies to this topic

#101 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 19 February 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

Download, unpack then run the dxsetup.exe to install the last set of dx9c update modules. Version 9.29.1974 - June 2010, Save this and rerun it when you believe a directx 9c module may have become corrupted or deleted.

https://www.microsof...ls.aspx?id=8109

That was the first thing I tried after I realized that none DX9 game works, but alas no effect. Anyway I got the Steam right now all set up.

#102 D V Devnull

• 4,280 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:54 AM

View PostKrist Smith, on 20 February 2018 - 12:20 PM, said:

I'm going to trim this quote down a bit, just so that I'm not reposting your wall (no offense, it's just a lot to repeat, and I have my own wall of text in response)...

<<<snip>>>

Again, thanks for the feedback. Lemme know if anything else catches your eye.

Hi again! I sometimes have to snip things too, so there's no offense taken at all! :D

It's been a few days in trying to reply due to Real Life railroading me. Anyway, I've got some updates since your post to me, some hopefully useful answers for other questions, and a few extra thoughts beyond that. Here we go...
  • Latest news -- I saw your 'Ninja Fix' to increase it. It worked perfectly from what I can see, and having 10 now is quite a lot more useful. Thank you!!!
  • "View Agreement" blank box -- It's strange, but mine uprighted itself when I went to use the Portal with the February Monthly Patch. I'm guessing because someone else hit the Accept for the License Agreement from their Windows Logon, it temporarily enabled all the other Windows IDs to just up and Launch the MWO Client. I'll look forward to seeing what your fix does at this point.
  • "Small Window Mode" display issues -- I'm not able to provide a Screenshot at the moment, due to a few things (including an Image Host being cold to their userbase... wish PhotoBucket hadn't decided to be rude...) that are currently beyond my control. However, I can tell you that my Display Resolution is 1920x1080, and the Visual Scaling is at the Windows Default of 100% with 96 DPI.
  • "Server Status" link -- I'm glad to hear this, and will look forward to this addition. I really appreciated having it before, and I'll be happy to see it live again!
  • Repair Tool resizing issues -- I'm thankful that you were able to confirm this at your end, and I'll be looking forward to the usability fix there. It spooked the heck outta me for a moment, making me think my PC might have become haunted.
  • Repair Tool Scan vs. Old Patcher Logs -- I get how you feel on this issue, and understand that the likely case is that most people would want to get rid of them. Perhaps there could be a checkbox presented in the "Options" to the user then, which would be inactive by default and allow your intent to be default, but when enabled would tell it that the user is requesting to bypass Old Logs? In other words, an "Opt-In" to protect certain data, instead of an "Opt-Out" for enabling cleaning? Perhaps also only have the option if the directory exists in the first place, otherwise it greys out or disappears? (If not, I guess I'll just have to understand and move those files before they get burned. I know, I'm just one of those semi-nostalgic nuts... lol.)
  • Repair Tool output -- Having heard your description, I get how others feel about that. Having a "Verbose Logging"/"Verbose Mode" Option that I would have to manually enable is not something I would be adverse to by any means! In fact, it would be quite a welcome addition to me, so I will very much look forward to seeing that ability available in future versions of the Repair Tool.
  • Scroll bar shrinkage -- Roger that. I'll look forward to confirming that the fix made it to everyone, and I'll report back if anything isn't right when it arrives Client-Side.
...and I'll be listening for your feedback to my post too. :)

And like you mentioned/asked, I'll still be certain to also post if anything else happens to catch my notice. I'm sure I'll trip across something at some point. :P

Since the question hiding within has presented itself...

View PostKrist Smith, on 20 February 2018 - 12:20 PM, said:

lol, dang, your list sure is comprehensive.

Not to "toot my own horn" here, but... lol... yes, I can be a bit of a bug-hunting nut sometimes. Generally what happens is that I somehow randomly run into one bug because I'm curious about something, and it starts me into a snowball of a bug-finding frenzy because I understand how it affects other people. It ends up being a case of "hunt the bugs before they ruin everyone's day", and by the time I'm done after tripping on bug after bug, and a few missing feature opportunities in the process, I'm then looking at a pile to report for fixing/adding. I'm very happy, however, that I could help you quite a lot with tidying up the New 'MWO Portal' & 'Repair Tool v2' Programs, and that it could benefit the whole MWO Community. ^_^

~D. V. "I'm just a friendly, oddball, highly-verbose Bug-hunter." Devnull

#103 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,719 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:51 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 20 February 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

That was the first thing I tried after I realized that none DX9 game works, but alas no effect. Anyway I got the Steam right now all set up.

Though you may have already got it fix, on the file you downloaded previously are you able to name the actual file you downloaded? The one I listed would have been named directx_Jun2010_redist.exe. Using an older version does not update itself to the newest version with the last set of modules, and Microsoft keeps several older version listed and most of the times they come up first on searches, sadly.

And the dxwebsetup.exe (small initial download) simply have plain names. Simply googling Directx 9, the first link brings up dxwebsetup.exe download with a date of 10/17/2007, which is 3 years behind the very last directx 9 update (june 2010).

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 22 February 2018 - 09:52 PM.

#104 D V Devnull

• 4,280 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 22 February 2018 - 09:51 PM, said:

Though you may have already got it fix, on the file you downloaded previously are you able to name the actual file you downloaded? The one I listed would have been named directx_Jun2010_redist.exe. Using an older version does not update itself to the newest version with the last set of modules, and Microsoft keeps several older version listed and most of the times they come up first on searches, sadly.

And the dxwebsetup.exe (small initial download) simply have plain names. Simply googling Directx 9, the first link brings up dxwebsetup.exe download with a date of 10/17/2007, which is 3 years behind the very last directx 9 update (june 2010).

I would personally recommend getting the Offline Installer, and never the Web Setup. If the package ever disappears from Micro$oft's servers, the End-User gets burned badly. :(

~D. V. "Sick of giant companies such as Micro$oft burning their base of End-Users..." Devnull

(p.s.: Not including PGI in this post, so I hope someone there doesn't take it that way at all. They're definitely NOT like Micro$oft.)

#105 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 23 February 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

~D. V. "Sick of giant companies such as Micro$oft burning their base of End-Users..." Devnull

To paraphrase Homer Simpson at the end of the episode that mimicked the Prohibition Era:

"To Micro$oft! The cause of -and solution to- all of our problems!"

https://youtu.be/hUVwR0rw5fk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users