#21 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:06 AM

View PostImperialus, on 25 January 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

60% radar derp is totally worth it, as is seismic. The way I run my UAC20 MAD is to move quickly from cover to cover firing while on the move at around the 200 meter mark. You've got some crazy burst damage, but don't facehug, you can't sustain the DPS as you'll either jam or overheat. Just a question of which happens first.

I'd also avoid full torso twists. The MAD spreads damage really well when facing head on, but the side torsos are barn doors from the side. Just wiggle your nose back and forth a bit when you are getting shot at and try to present the left side more than the right.

It's a really tanky mech, but with a 300 engine you're also moving at assault speeds so it's important to time your pushes' well and make sure you're not getting caught out by the entire enemy team. This is where seismic comes in very handy.

View PostHorseman, on 25 January 2018 - 11:30 PM, said:

Teamwork and patience. Stick with your team and conserve your armor until the entire team is pushing or countering the enemy push.

Exactly as Imperialus said, the build can pump out a brutal burst of firepower, but not sustain that for prolonged time. You need to be ready to withdraw from the line of fire once your mech starts running too hot - I run it in override most of the time - and have an ally ready to fill that position while you cool down or wait for jams to clear.

Also keep your arms unlocked - the pulse lasers are useful for fighting off faster mechs.
Yes to both. They are the first things to purchase in the Firepower tree for any build that runs UACs.
Not particularly.
Derp yes, seismic no. IMO one point of seismic has too little range and going for full seismic would require stripping too much stuff from firepower and/or survival trees to be worth it. Mileage may vary, of course

Here are the exact Smurfy and Skill Planner links for the build I'm running:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...66508816662dc30
https://kitlaan.gitl...07fc2#s=Weapons
The armor tree could be redone to get 9 of 10 armor nodes, but at the expense of structure nodes (which kind of help survive overrides)

Thanks guys for the advice! I'll try it again.

#22 Imperialus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

View PostHorseman, on 25 January 2018 - 11:30 PM, said:

Here are the exact Smurfy and Skill Planner links for the build I'm running:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...66508816662dc30
https://kitlaan.gitl...07fc2#s=Weapons
The armor tree could be redone to get 9 of 10 armor nodes, but at the expense of structure nodes (which kind of help survive overrides)

My skill tree looks a little different. Rather than specifically going for the cooldown nodes in the weapons tree I put 9 points into agility to get the extra torso speed. I also go for the top 3 cool runs rather than going to the bottom of the tree.

https://kitlaan.gitl...d1956#s=Weapons

#23 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:17 AM

I usually avoid the mobility tree except on specific mechs with limited mobility or fast lights, devoting them to survival and either DPS (cooldown) or cooling. As for the cool runs, the node cost comes to 1 more cool run for 2 nodes over the 3 CR build.

#24 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

I noticed 3R excels in face to face fights, hence sticking with the team is the best bet. That is why I don't plan to put any point in agility, I probably will try seismic which might come in handy especially when I'm in cover and I can position myself better before the main brawl. And I went for max cool runs to sustain the heat during brawls.

#25 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

Here's a build that I like that fits on both the MAD-3R and MAD-5M, though I replace a couple heatsinks with a jump jet and extra medium laser when I fit it to the MAD-5M:

MAD-3R (2xLB10X, 4xML)
MAD-5M (2xLB10X, 5xML)

The basic idea is to use all the weapons until you get hot, then rely on the LB10Xes until you cool down enough to cycle in some MLs again. Because of its extra structure and heatsinks the MAD-3R version is better in a brawl, but the 5M can hold its own.

Edited by Ruccus, 27 January 2018 - 10:01 AM.

#26 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:31 AM

Got some fun with a triple RAC2 and quad er med laser with 300 light engine. But uac20 with quad medpulse is strong but it's the payload of my Cataphrat-3L and i dislike mounting the same payload on 2 of my battlemech.

#27 Zmicier

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:58 PM

View PostZh0u, on 24 January 2018 - 06:23 AM, said:

RAC5? What about AC5 instead?

RAC5 are fun (and very different from most other guns) and MAD3R is, probably, the best mech in the game for them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users