Srms Vs Mrms

8 replies to this topic

#1 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:05 AM

I am trying to get the best bang for my buck or C-Bill( sorry bad pun intended). I am wondering if MRMs can out perform SRMs with their longer range? Am I missing something( no pun intended)? Would it just be better to mix SRMs&MRMs? I favour mid-range brawler to long-range snipers.

Edited by Spare Parts Bin, 25 January 2018 - 05:06 AM.

#2 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:57 AM

SRMs and MRMs have a different style of play. My thinking is if you have a mech that's reasonably quick to fast and enjoy brawling then SRMs are a good way to go. The Bushwacker BSW-P1, Huntsman, and Linebacker are some good SRM mechs when outfitted correctly.

For MRMs you have more methodical gameplay. You're slower, you set up in an area, peek and fire, and return to cover. An MRM mech I like is my Tempest (Archer hero) with 2xMRM30s or 2xMRM20s and an MRM10.

The MRMs can do some solid damage to larger mechs but their spread pattern makes them more a nuisance weapon for smaller mechs. I'm liking MRMs on my Hellspawns too, as being a 45 ton mech it doesn't really want to be in brawling range for long; either SRMs and a big engine (120kph+) to go after smaller mechs or a smaller engine (80-100kph) and MRMs to battle larger mechs.

I wouldn't mix SRMs and MRMs; either commit to being a medium range build or commit to being a short range build and use all your missile hardpoints for the system you decide to use. keeping all SRMs or all MRMs allows you to not worry about ammo allocation and allows you to play to your build's strengths.

#3 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:03 AM

im a very heavy srm user.... I dont like the mrm's they have to much travel time

srs's are more like a sneak attack
oxide
catapult
mad dog.. all nice quarks for srms

#4 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:31 AM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 25 January 2018 - 05:05 AM, said:

I am trying to get the best bang for my buck or C-Bill( sorry bad pun intended). I am wondering if MRMs can out perform SRMs with their longer range? Am I missing something( no pun intended)? Would it just be better to mix SRMs&MRMs? I favour mid-range brawler to long-range snipers.
Specialize, don't generalize. MRMs make useful missile brawlers from mechs that only have 1-2 missile hardpoints (eg Hunchback 4SP) and mesh with medium lasers, AC/10s or AC/20s for short-to-mid range fire support mechs. If you have more missile hardpoints than that, SRMs have better DPS/ton ratio.

View PostBurning2nd, on 25 January 2018 - 06:03 AM, said:

im a very heavy srm user.... I dont like the mrm's they have to much travel time
Their travel speed is actually a bit faster than that of SRMs - if the travel time is longer, then you're using them at close to maximum range.

Edited by Horseman, 25 January 2018 - 08:35 AM.

#5 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

View PostRuccus, on 25 January 2018 - 05:57 AM, said:

SRMs and MRMs have a different style of play. My thinking is if you have a mech that's reasonably quick to fast and enjoy brawling then SRMs are a good way to go. The Bushwacker BSW-P1, Huntsman, and Linebacker are some good SRM mechs when outfitted correctly.

For MRMs you have more methodical gameplay. You're slower, you set up in an area, peek and fire, and return to cover. An MRM mech I like is my Tempest (Archer hero) with 2xMRM30s or 2xMRM20s and an MRM10.

The MRMs can do some solid damage to larger mechs but their spread pattern makes them more a nuisance weapon for smaller mechs. I'm liking MRMs on my Hellspawns too, as being a 45 ton mech it doesn't really want to be in brawling range for long; either SRMs and a big engine (120kph+) to go after smaller mechs or a smaller engine (80-100kph) and MRMs to battle larger mechs.

I wouldn't mix SRMs and MRMs; either commit to being a medium range build or commit to being a short range build and use all your missile hardpoints for the system you decide to use. keeping all SRMs or all MRMs allows you to not worry about ammo allocation and allows you to play to your build's strengths.

View PostHorseman, on 25 January 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

Specialize, don't generalize. MRMs make useful missile brawlers from mechs that only have 1-2 missile hardpoints (eg Hunchback 4SP) and mesh with medium lasers or AC/20 for short-to-mid range fire support mechs.

Their travel speed is actually a bit faster than that of SRMs - if the travel time is longer, then you're using them at close to maximum range.

Nice to know folks. I will have to make up my mind.

#6 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:40 AM

MRMs are good for mechs with only 1-2 hardpoints. I tired making an mrm build on my archer 5W and it cant hold a candle to my JM6-A. I was able to stick an MRM40 on a raven 4X and made that mech pretty decent. If you boat MRMS, definetly go for 1-2 30's or 40's. 10s are just as tonnage effiecent as 40s but you need to run lots of them, and boating them made ghost heat. 20s are heavy and weaker than others.

A general rule of thumb would be to boat srms on mechs with 4+ hardpoints, and mrms on a mech with 4 or less hardpoints.

#7 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:00 AM

SRMs are the short range brawl fights, and they don't go well with MRM as they require a different playstyle.

MRM's: try to look for a mech with only one or 2 missile hard points. You'll usually find it has good missile quirks in that case. You can make good use of that when using for example an MRM30 or 40.

#8 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:02 AM

A good mrm mech is more useful than a good srm mech in general for quickplay. Being able to threaten targets at 600m will mean you are less likely to be useless on maps like polar.

Good mrm mechs are most mediums smaller heavies with solid missle quirks especially velocity and cooldown or a cyclops 10-q.

If you run them they should be your only weapon as they have an odd velocity and other weapons will screw your aim. Also only mount them on mechs where the hardpoints are close together to minimize spread.

Bad choices: Any light (lack tonnage to out shoot srms), assaults that cant boat them overwhelmingly. Mechs like the catapults or jager-a where the hard points are far apart and vulnerable, warhammers and battlemasters as the missile boxes add more side torso to lose.

Good choices: wvr-7k, hunchie 4sp, uziel with shoulder missiles, vindicators (no really! Especially the SIB), trebuchet 7m, griffin 3m and 2n, shadowhawk 2d2, torso missile only archers, and the cyclops 10 q.

Best choice: quickdraw IV4 pair of mrm 30s, 290 lfe and a jump jet.

#9 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:48 PM

View PostYumoshiri, on 25 January 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

SRMs are the short range brawl fights, and they don't go well with MRM as they require a different playstyle.

MRM's: try to look for a mech with only one or 2 missile hard points. You'll usually find it has good missile quirks in that case. You can make good use of that when using for example an MRM30 or 40.

View PostHobbles v, on 25 January 2018 - 09:02 AM, said:

A good mrm mech is more useful than a good srm mech in general for quickplay. Being able to threaten targets at 600m will mean you are less likely to be useless on maps like polar.

Good mrm mechs are most mediums smaller heavies with solid missle quirks especially velocity and cooldown or a cyclops 10-q.

If you run them they should be your only weapon as they have an odd velocity and other weapons will screw your aim. Also only mount them on mechs where the hardpoints are close together to minimize spread.

Bad choices: Any light (lack tonnage to out shoot srms), assaults that cant boat them overwhelmingly. Mechs like the catapults or jager-a where the hard points are far apart and vulnerable, warhammers and battlemasters as the missile boxes add more side torso to lose.

Good choices: wvr-7k, hunchie 4sp, uziel with shoulder missiles, vindicators (no really! Especially the SIB), trebuchet 7m, griffin 3m and 2n, shadowhawk 2d2, torso missile only archers, and the cyclops 10 q.

Best choice: quickdraw IV4 pair of mrm 30s, 290 lfe and a jump jet.

I was hoping to use MRMs on my Catapults,and Stalkers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users