44 replies to this topic

#41 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:29 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 29 January 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

Marauder got way bigger after the rescale and the Nightstar came out stupidly huge under the new scaling paradigm. Jenner IIC got bigger, too. Stalker remained about the same, IIRC. Dire Wolf got squished a bit. Timber Wolf got bigger. Can't remember what happened to the Ebon Jaguar.

Really, it seenms the Catapult and Locust were the only real winners among chicken walkers.

Yeah and the trend continues to be honest. Chickwalkers should all be shorter than bipeds yet this hasn't been happening in the game in a long time.

On the other hand, what people need to understand is that weight isn't always a good indication of volume. For example I think it is safe to assume that the armor on an Atlas is ticker than that on a Commando. Lets say the armor of a Commando is 1 inch thick. Then say the armor of the Atlas is 5 inches thick. The thing you need to take away from this is that while the armor would be 5 times as heavy, it isn't going to dramatically change the size of the object it is mounted on. Take this example. Go to google and search for an M1 Abrams and a M2 Bradley.

Here is a good website with an image of the two sitting right next to each other.

http://afvdb.50megs..../m2bradley.html

You will notice that the 26 ton M2 Bradley actually appears slightly larger than the 70 ton M1 Abrams.

So despite the scale looking off in MWO, the reality is, with just about everything in MWO, you just have to suspend your disbelief and move on. If you really want to get down to it, the Size of the engine should be the deciding factor on the size of the mech. I mean it is pretty damn unrealistic that something the size of a fricken Jenner can run a 300 engine when that is the stock engine size of a Altas. I mean I guess the internal structure has to be thicker to support 100 tons vs 35 tons but I sincerely doubt that the Atlas has to be twice the height to make it work, realistically speaking that is.

#42 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 06 May 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

http://afvdb.50megs..../m2bradley.html

You will notice that the 26 ton M2 Bradley actually appears slightly larger than the 70 ton M1 Abrams.

That's a bad comparison because the Bradley needs to have more open space to transport troops. I'm also pretty sure that the Bradley is made of a lighter (and less durable) material like aluminum? Somebody mentioned that in a different volumetric scaling thread about the Bradley comparison.

In MWO it would be a comparison between an Abrams and a lighter Abrams. Every mech is an Abrams.

Edited by FupDup, 06 May 2018 - 10:40 AM.

#43 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:45 AM

PGI has stated that volumetric scaling is only done between mechs of the same tonnage. So all 35 ton mechs should have the same volume, but there is no relationship to the volume of 70 ton mechs. It's not double.

#44 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

this all started because people wanted a small nova and catapultPosted Image . The catapult is the size of a medium and nova a light. Lets make those 2 mechs big again and undo all the other size changes! make nova and catapult big again!Posted Image

#45 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:39 AM

a 35 t Mech in Reality must smaller in Proportions or the Torso the same as a Tank with 35 t...same weight ,and by a mech most Weight and Volume for the Arms and legs and Armor for it who a Tank only chairs or wheels and more compact and hold the same Weapons, and Ammunitions and more Personal on Board.

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 08 May 2018 - 07:42 AM.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users