#121 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:47 AM

View PostYondu the Ravager, on 31 January 2018 - 09:15 PM, said:

The norm that objective wins are shameful and inferior already exists.

I'd say it's a fairly contested opinion at this point, not established enough to be considered a norm.

I'ts ultimately irrational to place different ethical value on different moves in a game as long as both moves are legal, and fortunately not everyone is prepared to accept scrubthink as normative.

I'm pretty sure that most of the FP community are fine with the idea of the weaker team going for an objective win since the weaker team is highly unlikely to win on kills but when a unit, who has more coordination than a bunch of puggers does a light/ASN/LBK rush for an objective win against pugs, it becomes really distasteful. Especially at times at midnight PST when the majority of the community is offline. I am in the Oceanic region so I can say that there is an especially long wait time during this time period for a game. Having a game end faster than the time you waited for it pisses people off and in the end there wouldn't be anybody playing during this time period. I would name shame these units but considering that it is the forums I will keep it civil.

Stomps are complained about as unfair/distasteful/whatever regardless of how they are done. The salt over strong teams "seal clubbing" all the kills far exceeds the salt about being rushed in those cases. Seems like a lose/lose situation for the strong teams in terms of not causing offense so I simply don't care much about that scenario.

But the thing is that some of the loudest complaints about objective rushing is actually from good units complaining about weaker units doing it to them, with nonsensical skill shaming to go with it. So I don't think it's true that "most of the FP community are fine with the idea of the weaker team going for an objective win since the weaker team is highly unlikely to win on kills", actually a lot of the best players are complaining.

For example a few days ago I dropped a couple matches with MS since my unit wasn't on, and they faced a big EVIL group and decided to objective rush them and did so successfully. Now a few EVIL members got super salty about that and one even came to the TS to ***** about it. That is super silly since MS is a deliberately mixed skill unit who takes in newbies while EVIL deliberately only takes on the best players, it's perfectly rational for MS to rush them since a mixed skill unit with newbies to carry cannot reasonably win a straight fight against a skill capped elite unit, and yet you get this pathetic whinging from the stronger team. And this is only one example.

#122 Catalina Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

[mod]Thanks to the opening post and it's unconstructive diction, the thread was moved.

The thread title was edited.[/mod]

Edited by Catalina Steiner, 01 February 2018 - 08:04 AM.

#123 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:07 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 01 February 2018 - 07:47 AM, said:

I'd say it's a fairly contested opinion at this point, not established enough to be considered a norm.

I'ts ultimately irrational to place different ethical value on different moves in a game as long as both moves are legal, and fortunately not everyone is prepared to accept scrubthink as normative.

Stomps are complained about as unfair/distasteful/whatever regardless of how they are done. The salt over strong teams "seal clubbing" all the kills far exceeds the salt about being rushed in those cases. Seems like a lose/lose situation for the strong teams in terms of not causing offense so I simply don't care much about that scenario.

But the thing is that some of the loudest complaints about objective rushing is actually from good units complaining about weaker units doing it to them, with nonsensical skill shaming to go with it. So I don't think it's true that "most of the FP community are fine with the idea of the weaker team going for an objective win since the weaker team is highly unlikely to win on kills", actually a lot of the best players are complaining.

For example a few days ago I dropped a couple matches with MS since my unit wasn't on, and they faced a big EVIL group and decided to objective rush them and did so successfully. Now a few EVIL members got super salty about that and one even came to the TS to ***** about it. That is super silly since MS is a deliberately mixed skill unit who takes in newbies while EVIL deliberately only takes on the best players, it's perfectly rational for MS to rush them since a mixed skill unit with newbies to carry cannot reasonably win a straight fight against a skill capped elite unit, and yet you get this pathetic whinging from the stronger team. And this is only one example.

Shooting stationary targets and winning is definitely inferior over shooting moving targets that retaliate and winning anytime. But I would rather take a inferior win over a loss when I'm in the weaker team.

Perhaps I have wrongly assumed that most of the FP community being fine with a weaker team going for an objective win. I can't speak for other parties since this is entirely my own opinion but I feel that shittalking and insulting the inferior team honestly doesn't help. FP community ain't that big and if we ain't helping to grow the community like some skilled pilots are, at least try not to make it smaller.

#124 0regon

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

k

Edited by 0regon, 02 April 2018 - 11:15 AM.

#125 ArdvarkX

Rookie

• The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:42 PM

I just tested the viability for me to solo rush and take an objective. Got my butt kicked, my conclusion do not rush in solo. Earlier I was on a team that rushed in FP and we were solidly defeated also. Some good advice and points were made in this thread. However I do not care if I win shamefully, if in the end I still win. After all it pays to be a winner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users