#1 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,796 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:35 PM

Hello all,

According to BattleTeckWiki, the Fafnir goes 54km/h with a 300-class engine yet the one we're getting goes 48.6km/h.

Any reason why that is?

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#2 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

Believe they lowered the speed of mechs across the board when the skill tree dropped due to the Speed Tweak skill allowing some mechs to move faster than they should.

It's hardly noticeable now as next to no one wast skill points Speed Tweaking a Annihilator or Stalker so all assaults are relatively the same speed though many Kodiak pilots (including myself) miss the old days of having a 100 ton mech that could actually actually rush the enemy

#3 CFC Conky

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,796 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:12 PM

Ah, ok thanks Steel Raven, I can get the odd IS assault mech to scoot but only with a lot less firepower.

I feel your pain re the Kodiak, I don’t own any 100 ton mechs yet but pre-engine desync I enjoyed the challenge of going up against mobile behemoths.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 03 February 2018 - 11:23 PM.

#4 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:56 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 03 February 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

Believe they lowered the speed of mechs across the board when the skill tree dropped due to the Speed Tweak skill allowing some mechs to move faster than they should.

It's hardly noticeable now as next to no one wast skill points Speed Tweaking a Annihilator or Stalker so all assaults are relatively the same speed though many Kodiak pilots (including myself) miss the old days of having a 100 ton mech that could actually actually rush the enemy

The correct answer is actually that Mechs can't move half a hex, and running speed are supposed to be 1.5x walking speed, so Battletech rounded it up to the higher whole number of hex.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:15 AM

View PostCFC Conky, on 03 February 2018 - 04:35 PM, said:

Hello all,

According to BattleTeckWiki, the Fafnir goes 54km/h with a 300-class engine yet the one we're getting goes 48.6km/h.

Any reason why that is?

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

When MWO was made, some engines to some weights would give significant jumps in speed. Rather than keeping to the engine conventions of Battletech, in which a 100 ton mech can only mount engines 200, 300, and 400, and a 50 ton mech can only mount engines 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 350, and 400, and a 35 ton mech can only mount 70, 105, 140, 175, 210, 245, etc.etc.etc...

PGI instead opted to allow all increments of 5. In doing this they had to normalize the engine speed increases. All mechs going 51 to 54 were brought down to 48. All mechs going 86 were brought down to 81, and so on. This way all the increments of speed per engine size between 200 and 250 would be even, rather than having it so that a 205, 210, 215, etc. provide uneven jumps in speed from the 155, 160 and 165, etc.

Speed tweak would actually bring the mechs that were knocked down from canonical speeds back up once unlocked. In the current skill tree once you get all speed tweak nodes you will still be able to go slightly faster than the 54 kph with the same size engine but this requires spending a fair bit of skill points on the mobility tree as speed tweak nodes line the very bottom.

The question is what do you sacrifice the potential of in exchange for the higher speed for your engine? As the current skill tree is about deciding whether to specialize, generalize, give up this potential in order to take that potential.

For example one of my Night Stars sacrificed the firepower tree in order to have significantly higher mobility while keeping high defense and a good amount in the operations and sensor trees.

Most other Night Stars of mine sacrificed that mobility and some of the operation advantages like an easy time climbing hills in favor of immense firepower enhancements.

Edited by Koniving, 04 February 2018 - 02:22 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:24 AM

Also: All 100 tonners with the 300 engine will be listed on Sarna as going 54-ish. Just one of the sacrifices needed to make even jumps in speed.

Could be worse. Some mechs are listed as below the speed of their travel hex count, such as the Wasp and Stinger. If these mechs went into the game, their stock speed would actually go up..

So for them the engine normalization is actually favorable.

#7 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

Don't all 100 tonners go the same speed? Just chuck a 325 in an Atlas that will tell you the Fafnir's max speed.

#8 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:35 PM

View PostMatthew Ace, on 04 February 2018 - 01:56 AM, said:

The correct answer is actually that Mechs can't move half a hex, and running speed are supposed to be 1.5x walking speed, so Battletech rounded it up to the higher whole number of hex.

Yeah, the Table Top takes allot of things in broad strokes (allot of things rounded to the next whole number) why it always pains me when 1.) someone tries to make the table top more realistic (you know, not fun) and 2.) when some one talks about MW like the Table Top (the TT is not meant to be a simulator)

Back to the Fafnir, it was never a speed demon but you will still outpace most Annihilators.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users