If Pgi Is Making Money Hand Overfist Then...

47 replies to this topic

#41 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

"Maybe the whole trial-mech approach could use an overhaul/rethinking..."

They should put in a market where we can put up our fitted out, skill treed mechs for other players to rent/lease. Gives us a reason to fit out mechs we don't even play anymore, and gives other people a way to try various setups without shelling out 30 mill CB... but if they like it they still have to buy their own.

Also, anyone who leases a mech from 'Mechs R Us' is likely to play hard for the lease time, so more logged hours for MWO.

#42 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:13 AM

View PostDaggett, on 05 February 2018 - 10:06 AM, said:

I agree, that's my main concern regarding MWO's future. From what i have seen trying to get friends into the game it takes too long for a new player to get his/her first sense of achievement. After my first dozen matches back in closed beta i almost quit. It took a good friend convincing me that the game is better than what i experienced.

Some things have got better since then but i think the learning-curve is still too steep. For example there are still trial-mechs that use more than two weapon groups. I doubt that the average new player can or want to manage three of those, i'm still using only two after years of playing because i'm lazy... Posted Image

Another problem is the first own mech dilemma. Chances are high that a player does not like his first mech bought from cadet bonus but he is stuck there for quite some time since rewards are low if you can't make a mech work. Maybe it would help to allow them to try any mech at least in the academy. Maybe the whole trial-mech approach could use an overhaul/rethinking...
I AM IN FULL AGREEMENT BRO. LETS TWEET RUSS!!

#43 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:13 PM

This game just needs a decent in game global chat system with a nice way to squad up and then a place in game to browse and join player orgs/clans/spheres whatever you call its. So much potential for what is already here is lost because of that in my opinion. (Hence why average folk like me have played this game solo 99% of the time for the past 5-6 years on and off)

#44 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:36 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 05 February 2018 - 02:52 AM, said:

I've heard this $10 Million number thrown out before and if its true, how likely is it that MW5 can be the "success" that folks keep assuming it will be? There are what? 30K players of this game? Lets call it 50K. Screw it, lets double it and call it 100K players to include everyone even remotely interested in this game at any time. If every single one of these people buy the presumed ~$50 stand alone MW5 product, that is still only $5 million in sales. They need another 100K people, people who have shown zero interest in this game, just to break even on their new game. 200k people need to become aware of, enticed by and then buy the game, just to break even; and yet some folks around here are assuming that this game is going to be a smash success. To do achieve that, they are going to need a hell of a lot more folks over the 200K to buy the thing. Good luck.

Fun Fact, we actually do have player numbers. Not 100% accurate, but in a decent ballpark.

https://leaderboard.isengrim.org

Current active players: 53232
Current retired players: 162724

Many of those users are alts, I will admit to that, however that list only contains people who have played more than 10 matches in a single month. Also that's only data from the last 19 months. The game has been going for around 5 years (53 months if my calculations are right). Now take into account people who skipped over MWO because it's an online game and is only interested in a single player only or co-op MW game.

I'd say a safe bet is that there is a potential pool of players well over 200k.

Edited by ForceUser, 05 February 2018 - 01:36 PM.

#45 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,897 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

View PostForceUser, on 05 February 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

Fun Fact, we actually do have player numbers. Not 100% accurate, but in a decent ballpark.

https://leaderboard.isengrim.org

Many of those users are alts, I will admit to that, however that list only contains people who have played more than 10 matches in a single month. Also that's only data from the last 19 months. The game has been going for around 5 years (53 months if my calculations are right). Now take into account people who skipped over MWO because it's an online game and is only interested in a single player only or co-op MW game.

I'd say a safe bet is that there is a potential pool of players well over 200k.

"safe bet"
PGI obviously hopes so, otherwise...

#46 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:18 PM

I think they are in the "Canadian Loop" which is represented by a very complicated mathematical formula:

M = P Marginal Equals Pass....

With a large number of players buying every single new mech issued, PGI is maintaining their projected goals it seems.....

Change will only happen if the player base STOPS BUYING......because, PGI is assuming everything is hunky dorey if the P/L is Status Quo....... If it ain't broke, don't fix it is a Canadian phrase....

#47 Tyman4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSpace Time

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:44 PM

OP: bc they aren't making money hand over fist. A lot of the original player base left within 2 years...the largest drop was directly after the first faction warfare. There is no end game in this game. It's always the same thing. Literally the only thing to change is hardpoint inflation, armor and damage inflation, and mech geometries.

#48 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:52 PM

View PostTyman4, on 05 February 2018 - 08:44 PM, said:

OP: bc they aren't making money hand over fist. A lot of the original player base left within 2 years...the largest drop was directly after the first faction warfare. There is no end game in this game. It's always the same thing. Literally the only thing to change is hardpoint inflation, armor and damage inflation, and mech geometries.
so. Your telling me all MMORPGs/Arena-Shooters are supposed to have an end game? Im not trying to mock you but that really does sound like a flimsy arguement at best for why a game sucks. I have never played any massively multiplayer game in my life that had an end game other than accumulating some form of player wealth which cant be done in MWO because there is no trade hub. The game has taken an interesting turn for me after I joined bacon. My teammates keep me engaged and help me improve my player skill with what can best be described as clunky controlling mech game mechanics and super bad frame rates. The constant need to rebuild the same mechs or adapt or counter a new meta actually has kept me more invested in the game than i should be. Like how does one counter a crab rush? With a school of well placed piranhas and lots of prayer. The advent of the much miligned skill tree was a step in the right direction and breathed fresh air into the stale, stuffy game play i had gotten used too under the rule of three and when i was too broke to afford to pay for mechs or mc with real money. Never being able to see a battlemech achieve its full potential and the feeling like your always missing out really ate away at my enthusiasm for MWO and BT as a whole. Instead i quit for a couple of years and retreated into the dark age novels, most of which i really enjoyed. Dude I remember just how bad this game sucked and i am thankful that it has atleast come this far.

No. There isnt an "End Game". There never was and will never be one so long as the player has agency of his own mechs.
The ending of your MWO experience is for you to write.

Thats just my experience, and ive been around for most of the game's history, even i only started posting on the forums last year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users