#1 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:46 PM

Faction play balance threads seem to either be places for whining about getting face-stomped and farmed or they are proposing massive overhauls to the game mode (R&R, unit logistics, group caps, more persistent bukkits, etc). This is not that. I want to propose subtle changes to how we interact with Faction play that I think can have a positive effect on game play balance and fun levels.

1) Make Factions Independent.
I am not proposing a FFA like we used to have, I am 100% behind the 1 bukkit system. When I say make the factions independent, I am talking about internal coding for the game. Right now, we essentially have only 2 factions (IS and Clan) that are each comprised of several sub-teams (the houses and the clans). So for example, weight is decided on a Clan/IS basis which is really broad. Having the system recognize smaller groups can allow much needed flexibility to balancing projects. Here are some reasons/upsides for doing this:
Spoiler

2) More Factions
This seems pretty self explanatory.
Spoiler

3) A non-persistent Side Bukkit
Single bukkit has been really good for getting matches. Any idea that proposes ditching single bukkit in favor the old system is bad. Again, I like the 1 bukkit system.That being said, single bukkit is bad for variety and faction pride. The promised, but so far poorly implemented, special event system needs to become more regular.
Spoiler

4) Rework Mercs
Spoiler

5) Dump the all or nothing system
So, this is partly resurrecting an old idea from this thread: https://mwomercs.com...ty/page__st__20 .
Spoiler

6) Factions take what they capture.
If the FRR voted to attack a Clan occupied Kurita planet and they "win" the planet, then the planet goes to FRR not Kurita. No more of this giving the planet back to the original IS owner. That is lame crap.

This should be very little work and it cost very little. But on this one, I don't care about the cost. Fix this. It was a really dumb idea from the outset.

On the whole, these changes should be pretty cost effective, while doing a lot to improve balance and reduce staleness in FW.

Edited by Cato Zilks, 05 February 2018 - 05:58 PM.

#2 Johnathan Von Tanner

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:13 PM

look up this term.Failure Cascade. It started with phase 3. Once the symptoms of a failure cascade are noticeably visible it cannot be stopped.
No amount of bukkit warfare. Balance by tonnage (LOL). Or lore band-aide Can stop the player bleed out.

#3 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

The event system PGI introduced allowed for setting up some specific conflicts such as the Battle for Luthien.
https://mwomercs.com...ion-play-event/

I thought there were some specific faction v faction conflicts that were done but I'm having trouble finding them.

Anyhow, it seems like it would be possible to do things like have the Nova Cats fight for the IS and have the FRR combine with GB without needing any development work.
It's little more than saying the FRR is part of the 'Clan' pool and Nova Cats are part of the 'IS' pool under the current system.
That'll confuse players signing onto those factions.

Edited by 50 50, 05 February 2018 - 07:42 PM.

#4 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:51 PM

View Post50 50, on 05 February 2018 - 06:44 PM, said:

The event system PGI introduced allowed for setting up some specific conflicts such as the Battle for Luthien.
https://mwomercs.com...ion-play-event/

I thought there were some specific faction v faction conflicts that were done but I'm having trouble finding them.

Anyhow, it seems like it would be possible to do things like have the Nova Cats fight for the IS and have the FRR combine with GB without needing any development work.

They did faction v faction events,but they did not write the game in a way to let clan and IS form up together. I believe Russ was asked about this when he talked about merging the bukkits, he said that the game was was written as having just two factions.

AFAIK FRR people could not currently form a 12 man with CGB people. I am basing my comments on what can and cant be done on the statements of Russ, who does not code the game.

More importantly, the simple IS or Clan line prevents variable weight for each individual faction. Poor little Clan Wolf has been trash for years now but they have to play the same weight as the merc heavy Vipers and Cats.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,881 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:51 PM

its a two bucket system. the reason its a two bucket system is that people on the same side are in the same bucket and cannot play eachother. so 2 buckets. a 1 bucket system would allow for any team to play any other team reguardless of faction alignment. we could drop from a 2 bucket to a 1 bucket system. this would have the odd possibility of having teams on the same faction fight eachother from time to time, not like there arent civil wars and coup attempts and revolutions and things like that in the battletech universe.

scoring gets complicated. so civil wars would be scored differently than clan vs is. the latter scoring planets, maybe the former can influence your faction's power within the alliance, fight for a larger share of the vote so that your faction's choice of planets takes precedence over those of another, less well performing faction. so if jade falcon is winning they might find themselves picking all the targets. its certainly better than the fp event system that pgi never uses.

#6 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 05 February 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

its a two bucket system. the reason its a two bucket system is that people on the same side are in the same bucket and cannot play eachother...

Debates about usage of the term bukkits raged after Russ first used it. You can talk about buckets of players or buckets of matches. I couldnt give crap how we refer to it, but the current system of having all players go in the same Clan v Is fight has made the system better in terms of getting matches.

I have no interest in making the mode a complete mush of whatever v whatever. What you are describing sounds like QP.

#7 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:50 PM

1a) Irrelevant/null. You don't understand why Wolf is lowest. It's simple overpopulated by inactive accounts, no Mercs want to go there, the payouts are bigger. This is due to Phase 3 and totally incorrect active population calculations that PGI should be doing, for an accurate representation of the population - But they are not. Even after they have been told repeatedly how much of a problem it is causing.

1b) Mixed tech won't happen, and shouldn't, so that's also null.

1c) Redundant cause of "B".

2) More factions will just make stuff worse, so that's an even worse idea.

3) We've already seen the result of it. It does not work. Population is too low.

4) Is somewhat fixed by addressing 1a, properly. Adjusting tonnage via population, and you want to add MORE factions? That just makes absolutely no sense.

Overall I believe these ideas are based on some misinterpretation of what is happening in FP right now. Cause what is described and the fixes are not what is happening in the game at all.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 05 February 2018 - 09:01 PM.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,881 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

View PostCato Zilks, on 05 February 2018 - 08:03 PM, said:

Debates about usage of the term bukkits raged after Russ first used it. You can talk about buckets of players or buckets of matches. I couldnt give crap how we refer to it, but the current system of having all players go in the same Clan v Is fight has made the system better in terms of getting matches.

I have no interest in making the mode a complete mush of whatever v whatever. What you are describing sounds like QP.

anything that increases drop rate and brings down wait times is what fp needs. there never was a reason for these battles, theres no lore. so long as one team of mechs fights another team of mechs i dont care whats on their banner.

#9 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:42 PM

View PostCato Zilks, on 05 February 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

They did faction v faction events,but they did not write the game in a way to let clan and IS form up together. I believe Russ was asked about this when he talked about merging the bukkits, he said that the game was was written as having just two factions. AFAIK FRR people could not currently form a 12 man with CGB people. I am basing my comments on what can and cant be done on the statements of Russ, who does not code the game. More importantly, the simple IS or Clan line prevents variable weight for each individual faction. Poor little Clan Wolf has been trash for years now but they have to play the same weight as the merc heavy Vipers and Cats.

Not in the same team, no.
However, it might be possible to shift factions around within the larger Clan and IS pools that we have all been bundled into.
Don't really see the point in it, but having the Nova Cats as a Clan faction fight under the IS banner (for example) might actually be possible at the moment.
Depends on what that event thing can actually do.

#10 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:20 AM

View PostJohnathan Von Tanner, on 06 February 2018 - 12:00 AM, said:

Soon we will have Solaris and MWO will be saved lol.

Let's hope Solaris does deliver to expectations unlike all the disappointments year in year out.

#11 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:15 AM

It won't.

People will play 20-30 1v1s, realise how bad they are, and give up.

The fact after year 5 Solaris is getting 'resources' put into it while every other area of the game is left behind (bar mechpacks)... Is a sign of lacking direction from management

Edited by justcallme A S H, 06 February 2018 - 01:15 AM.

#12 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:44 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 05 February 2018 - 08:50 PM, said:

1a) Irrelevant/null. You don't understand why Wolf is lowest. It's simple overpopulated by inactive accounts, no Mercs want to go there, the payouts are bigger. This is due to Phase 3 and totally incorrect active population calculations that PGI should be doing, for an accurate representation of the population - But they are not. Even after they have been told repeatedly how much of a problem it is causing.

1c) Redundant cause of "B".

2) More factions will just make stuff worse, so that's an even worse idea.

3) We've already seen the result of it. It does not work. Population is too low.

4) Is somewhat fixed by addressing 1a, properly. Adjusting tonnage via population, and you want to add MORE factions? That just makes absolutely no sense.

Overall I believe these ideas are based on some misinterpretation of what is happening in FP right now. Cause what is described and the fixes are not what is happening in the game at all.

1a) Wolf has a very large population that sucks at FP. What is there not to get? A faction like the Vipers is populated by seasoned vets looking to max out a new rewards tree and mercs. Having a faction comprised FW trash have the same drop weight as a group of vets and mercs seems like bad balancing. Let **** players have some extra tons. It can only make your matches better as you have more damage to get paid for and they get to last a bit longer.

1b) re-read my words "(We will see about mixed tech. (and that is a whole separate debate for another day (and with another person)" I don't think mixed tech is at all a needed component in FW. I am saying people can go talk to someone else about that because I don't give a **** about such pipe dreams. What I am talking about is having a faction that uses clantech (CNC) fight on the IS team and having faction that uses IS tech (FRR) fight on the clan team. This is not mixed tech, this is a different alignment of factions. Nova Cats would only use Clan tech, but cue up alongside IS teams.

1c)?

2) No, that makes nothing worse. Nova Cat and Steel Viper did not harm the game. If anything, it showed how bad big factions can be when mercs don't want to go there (and mercs already spent less time in Wolf).

3) What? We have already seen the result of it? Russ decide to have 1 surprise event and have every faction have a side event at once and it didn't work? You don't ******* say. Huh.

See, if I had argued for having every team having their own lane of their choosing as it was in the days before old Long Tom, then you would have me. But, I didn't argue for that. I argued that 1 single side bucket should be going frequently. They should also be scheduled so we can try to draw puggles to these events. These are a recruiting opportunity for faction warfare.

4) Tonnage and number of factions was not the issue in #4. #4, is about increasing the diff between Loyalist and Merc while trying to create a stable population so PGI can apply tonnage changes more readily to individual factions.

I never said my goal was to cut to the heart of all the issues and fix all of Faction Warfare. I picked a few low cost ways in which PGI can make notable improvements. I don't think they want to invest lots of money into FW, but instead of bemoaning that or complaining that everyone will quit anyways, I am looking to find ways that PGI can make the game better on terms they may be willing to meet.

#13 Xannatharr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:26 AM

View PostCato Zilks, on 05 February 2018 - 08:03 PM, said:

Did someone request some "Bukkits"?

Posted Image

#14 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:29 PM

View PostCato Zilks, on 06 February 2018 - 04:44 AM, said:

1a) Wolf has a very large population that sucks at FP. What is there not to get? A faction like the Vipers is populated by seasoned vets looking to max out a new rewards tree and mercs. Having a faction comprised FW trash have the same drop weight as a group of vets and mercs seems like bad balancing. Let **** players have some extra tons. It can only make your matches better as you have more damage to get paid for and they get to last a bit longer.

No - It - Does - Not.

The fact you don't actually know what is going on is, concerning.

What Wolf has, as the highest population on the Clan side, is a bunch (1,000s) of inactive accounts that are loyalist to Wolf but never play the game and date back years.

New factions like Diamond Shark have no previous loyalist history. No years of players making accounts and going inactive and skewing the numbers. Therefore their account bonuses are always going to be higher based on the way PGI calculates the population (since the dawn of time). And also the reason Mercs will never go there, cause they payouts suck.

Because of these reasons - the actual reality - your suggestions are totally wayward and it shows you lack understanding of the issues within FP. None of the changes are really achievable (They will achieve nothing). Most of them are not going to help either. Good thing PGI won't be listen or implementing anything outta this one.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 06 February 2018 - 01:29 PM.

#15 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:07 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 06 February 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

No - It - Does - Not.

What Wolf has, as the highest population on the Clan side, is a bunch (1,000s) of inactive accounts that are loyalist to Wolf but never play the game and date back years.

New factions like Diamond Shark have no previous loyalist history. No years of players making accounts and going inactive and skewing the numbers. Therefore their account bonuses are always going to be higher based on the way PGI calculates the population (since the dawn of time). And also the reason Mercs will never go there, cause they payouts suck.

Because of these reasons - the actual reality - your suggestions are totally wayward and it shows you lack understanding of the issues within FP. None of the changes are really achievable (They will achieve nothing). Most of them are not going to help either. Good thing PGI won't be listen or implementing anything outta this one.

SHHHH if his bad suggestion get trough we will be all clan wolf and whaterver worst is loyalist are with 300+ ton to choose mech WHO KNOW MAYBE 400+ ton let bring 4 assault in this totaly balanced suggestion that doesnt make the imbalance over 9000 Posted Image.

I WANT MY GODDAMIT 4 EBJ DROPDECK SHUTUP AUSSIE AND MAKE THIS BAD IMPLEMENTATION HAPPEND i DONT MIND BEING CLAN WOLF IF THAT THE PRICE I PAY TO BE OP!

#16 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

Lol. Yep... #makeclanwolfgreatagainbyhorridideas

#17 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 06 February 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

No - It - Does - Not.

So this is an explanation of why mercs don't go Wolf. Mercs also dont go Davion for similar reasons. I never said Mercs don't go to Wolf because Wolf players suck, I am not failing to understand the underlying reasons for Mercs not going to wolf.

What I did say is that Wolf players by and large suck. Their record speaks for itself.

Giving ****** clan players the same weight decks as good ones seems silly when we easily could change that. (same goes for IS)

Edited by Cato Zilks, 06 February 2018 - 03:50 PM.

#18 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

But despite Wolf being the **** group in FW, they have conquered the most planets. Again, trying to make little easy fixes Ash.

#19 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:20 PM

Without good merc teams of course they players are bad.

Look at the influence KCom had on CJF over 6 months. They got most of the loyalists playing better.

Either way balancing via tonnage va faction is, and always will be, a shocking idea.

#20 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:39 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 05 February 2018 - 08:50 PM, said:

********. Mixed tech has already happened according to the precious "lore". Gameplay balances between IS and Clan would reach a new high, although complaints about obsolete platforms would become even more common, which is still a problem worth fixing, but can be done pretty easily by expanding hard points in some cases, and quirking in others.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users