Mech Advice

17 replies to this topic

#1 Hrothgar02

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

Ok so I'm new to mwo and I'm looking to buy my first mech. I like haveing long range and I love the gauss rifle. I don't want to call it sniping because you can't really get a kill with 1 shot. To me it's more like artillery support. So my question is what mech would be good for artillery suppor ?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

View PostHrothgar02, on 10 February 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

Ok so I'm new to mwo and I'm looking to buy my first mech. I like haveing long range and I love the gauss rifle. I don't want to call it sniping because you can't really get a kill with 1 shot. To me it's more like artillery support. So my question is what mech would be good for artillery suppor ?

You can, but at the moment the best way to do that is with a pair of Heavy Gauss... and it has to be kinda close up..

Figure we might call it direct fire support. (There are Mech Mortars in the source material but such hasn't made it into MWO yet. Though we are in the time period where they get popular again...)

There's a number of mechs that can fulfill this role. The requirements are basically ballistic hardpoints and enough weight to make it effective. For the energy equivalent, energy hardpoints and while the weight requirements are somewhat lighter, enough cooling power to make it effective and in both cases the positioning of the hardpoints need to be fairly high up.

On the IS side, you're looking at:
Light: Urbanmech. Raven (4X for Gauss, 2X or 3L for PPC). Jenner (for PPC). Panther / Wolfhound (for quirk-based advantages in this run).
Medium: Blackjack (virtually any variant). Hunchbacks 4G, 4H, 4P. Trebuchet 7K. Shadowhawk (2K for PPC, so many options for Gauss). Uziel (lots of hardpoints, not nearly enough tonnage; specialize don't generalize). Crab, Wolverine, Griffin and Enforcer have good options but they don't truly capitalize on the high hardpoints. Crabs are super cheap to get started with as they require little to get off the ground. Same with Hunchbacks.
Heavies: Marauder. Rifleman. Jagermech. There are plenty of others that also fit the bill. Warhammer for example.
Assaults: There's a number of good options but I can't truly put down recommendations. I know I'm a fan of the setup using a Misery (Stalker hero which the Stalkers can do, but you'd only get the PPC part of it with cbill Stalkers as the hero stalker is basically an 85 ton Atlas K... but you really don't want to try this role with a 100 ton mech if you can avoid it.) Night Star is one I am doing this role with, though, and it does quite well.

Clan:
I don't really do this role with the Clans usually, but...
Night Gyr, Nova Cat (both heavies). Huntsman for the mediums as well as HBK IIC (the base model).

The one that's tested, tried and true for years for me, though, is the Clan Dire Wolf. It is slow, but it fits the role well. Four Gauss Rifles, plenty of ammo (yet not enough), set them up to fire in pairs of two. Alternatively, two Gauss Rifle, 2 ER PPCs, and boat machine guns. Note: You can change the hardpoints of all the specifically mentioned Clan mechs (except the HBK IIC).

Some might recommend the Kodiak 3. I probably couldn't argue with it. Can't change its hardpoints either but you won't need to.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:18 PM

For some example footage...
Rifleman. (3C, another variant and Legend Killer make good Gauss candidates; this one's equipped with LMGs instead and a pair of ER PPCs. The 5M..or n...well the "5" variant is energy only and thus can't carry Gauss.)

Jagermech (not the best footage.) (Jagermechs and the energy version of this role do not mix since the energy hardpoints are practically on the pelvis.)

Dire Wolf (Dire Cow) Quad Gauss. (Look up Dire cow on youtube, there's over 5 videos.)

Note: Jenner footage is somewhat jumbled due to an editing error. PPC (the energy equivalent of Gauss + some PPCs.)

Hunchback 4P, footage includes build; good action starts at 4:26. Basically 2 PPCs, 8 medium lasers.

Wish I had more to share, but I don't play this style all that often.

Not necessarily in the same fighting style, but a Hunchback Grid Iron (you can replicate the Gauss part on a 4H or 4G).

Note the two crosshairs. + and o. This can be important later on in the development of your skills.

Edited by Koniving, 10 February 2018 - 07:27 PM.

#4 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:37 PM

Koniving mentioned the Direwolf. I have all variants but the C Champion Omnimech. Direwolves are slow, dependable, can carry many weapons types. The UV right and left arms allow 2 ballistics per arm. The W allows 1-2 energy slots in the CT. Heads can contain 1 energy slot. S right & left torsos have ballistic, energy,and missle,hardpoints between them. You may want to explore Direwolves, Kodiaks, and Mad Cat MKlls.

#5 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:23 PM

I'd recommend what Koniving has mentioned, however, you stated you are a beginner and thus I would highly advise against using Lights and Assaults until you get more familiar with piloting and getting an overall feel of how mechs behave, map knowledge, fully understanding the importants of positioning, and torso twisting to spread damage until going into Lights and Assaults as they probably have by far the highest amounts of personal skill requirements of the for-mentioned fundamentals out of any other class as they are the least forgiving.

Edited by Coralld, 10 February 2018 - 08:25 PM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

Lights would be unforgiving in general (but especially in slower, heavier hitting builds) as even the most armored lights are quickly killed.
Assaults due to their size and inability to escape large amounts of focused fire (since once you mess up and are in a bad position, there's no escape as implied by this excerpt of definitions from the very first response to short question short answers..[which I give a "FAQ"]

From Definitions, under the spoiler tag.

View PostKoniving, on 02 October 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

[Snipped majority and snipped spoiler tags on purpose. Click the refresh arrow to the left of the quote box to jump straight to this quote to read the entire FAQ.]
[Snipped down to definitions of terms used on VOIP or text. Again in the original post this whole section would be under the spoiler at the bottom.]
"To Commit" is a term that refers to engaging in a fight you cannot pull away from. With a single life this is important because once you commit that's it. Either you win or you die as the situation is impossible to escape from. Examples of usage: "Are we going to commit?" "Are you sure about this? We can't win. (response) It's too late we're committed." "I've got hostiles here. (Roger that, rendezvous with us and lure 'em.) No can do, I'm committed."
"Going down" is the guaranteed losing form of "to commit." With enough experience you will know right away when there is nothing you can do and so reporting (on voice) that you are going down lets your comrades know that you cannot be rescued and that any attempt to do so will result in a Black Hawk Down scenario (in other words; anyone whom tries will die with you.)

Examples of committing:

Video is short as the footage starts deep into the match.
Me, two Atlases and a Centurion engage in a fight. Very quickly the fight begins to go south. Wolfmech, an Atlas pilot reports going down. There is no backing off, no escape, so we duke it out to the end. In the end it is me against 4 enemies.

A bleak beginning with a more positive outcome:

3 mechs against 7. Eventually becoming 1 vs 1 and ending in a tie. We're forced to commit due to their attempts to take over the base. Note: Background noise -- I was watching a youtube video and alt tabbing in just to provide missile support when our seeming easy win suddenly flip-flopped in a matter of seconds and more than half the team was nearly instantly slaughtered, prompting me to flip back into the match, only to alt tab turn on fraps and alt tab in the middle of the fray for our base.

A quick example of committing...gone wrong. (We split our fire across multiple targets, dooming ourselves.)

A really good example of opting not to commit, followed by opting to commit. Given as link as it is time skipped. As I go past the ship within 15 seconds of the time skipped starting point, I opt not to commit. Moments later, I opt to commit, going past a point in which I could not retreat and survive (which meant I had to go the whole distance if I wanted to live).

In the Rifleman video I posted earlier there's a similar moment, when facing the Jagermech and Uziel I hesitated to commit until the Uziel lost interest, once it did I committed to a rushing charge across enemy fire. Later when I shot a Uziel in the bum, I committed to get the Jenner, and from there continued to commit. It was a miracle I survived with only losing all my weapons. You could say I over committed as chances to escape came up and I refused to take them.

(I'm sure you're sick of videos so that's enough.)

Edited by Koniving, 10 February 2018 - 08:55 PM.

#7 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:04 AM

I would suggest Orions or Orion llCs. They capable of being relatively fast heavies, with a good mix of missle and energy hardpoints, while some have ballistic hardpoints as well. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:51 AM

I agree that Orions and their Clan versions are good. But many would disagree with their use for the role he desired. Virtually all hardpoints being low slung make it difficult to provide medium to long range support without over exposing one's self.

I use mine more as fighters as they are basically 75 ton Atlases.
Orion of the past. Orion now.
Orion of the past teaches you how to climb steep slopes, a very useful technique.
Orion now, makes mention of having a visual on climbing surfaces several years after Orion of the past. o.O;

Orion of the past is an Orion K. (Somewhere I got one of an Orion K with a Gauss Rifle but that was before the chargeup mechanic.)
Orion now is a 2013 build on a Protector, modified only with a Light MG (replacing the normal one). Tried and true build; as the video states: "Who needs an ever changing meta when you have reliability?"

#9 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:54 AM

View PostKoniving, on 11 February 2018 - 04:51 AM, said:

I agree that Orions and their Clan versions are good. But many would disagree with their use for the role he desired. Virtually all hardpoints being low slung make it difficult to provide medium to long range support without over exposing one's self.

I use mine more as fighters as they are basically 75 ton Atlases.
Orion of the past. Orion now.
Orion of the past teaches you how to climb steep slopes, a very useful technique.
Orion now, makes mention of having a visual on climbing surfaces several years after Orion of the past. o.O;

Orion of the past is an Orion K. (Somewhere I got one of an Orion K with a Gauss Rifle but that was before the chargeup mechanic.)
Orion now is a 2013 build on a Protector, modified only with a Light MG (replacing the normal one). Tried and true build; as the video states: "Who needs an ever changing meta when you have reliability?"

I sold my IS Orions to fund Clan Tech. Glad the Orion llCs are out so we all can enjoy this venerable design.

#10 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:08 AM

Dual Gauss Night Gyr. Enough said.

#11 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:06 PM

I am going to assume that you are REALLY new.

Artillery support really doesn't work too well because those who play that role tend to not move and usually get hit by lights and mediums circling to flank. It's not a good mind set to get into. Once those lights are on you'll have a devil of a time surviving. Honestly I would suggest a mech that you can customize to take on many roles and is fast enough to get you into our out of trouble easily. I would suggest looking at the clan heavy mechs specifically the linebacker which is a very forgiving mech that can handle many different roles in a game depending on how you choose to kit it out.

If you pick a mech with just the gauss in mind you are going to be stuck in one play-style and that is a quick way to eliminate your fun.

#12 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:13 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 12 February 2018 - 07:06 PM, said:

I am going to assume that you are REALLY new.

Artillery support really doesn't work too well because those who play that role tend to not move and usually get hit by lights and mediums circling to flank. It's not a good mind set to get into. Once those lights are on you'll have a devil of a time surviving. Honestly I would suggest a mech that you can customize to take on many roles and is fast enough to get you into our out of trouble easily. I would suggest looking at the clan heavy mechs specifically the linebacker which is a very forgiving mech that can handle many different roles in a game depending on how you choose to kit it out.

If you pick a mech with just the gauss in mind you are going to be stuck in one play-style and that is a quick way to eliminate your fun.

Mixed builds and 60+ kph brawler builds look like the norm now. Besides I never was any good at Gauss.

#13 poopenshire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 684 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:38 PM

Ok, I am seeing tons of info here but not enough questions be posed back to the OP.

What range do you wish to play from? If you say >350m then Heavy Gauss is a no-no. It won't even scratch paint.

if you want to be in the 700-1000m range, well normal Gauss will server you well, with the right quirks and skill points.

If you want to be only >1000m well quad light Gauss is possible, but is very skill dependent. It can only be put on Assaults due to crit spaces, and at close range your not going to be able to hold off a brawl, at long range with enough ammo, you can be annoying and rack of damage if a team does not deal with you ASAP.

Just provide us with more details on what you want and we will be glad to help. I am hoping in the next season of Comp play more Quad Light Gauss makes its debut. It has potential in the right hands.

As for learning to use Gauss, get in the training groups and get used to the charge mechanic. Learn to do it while moving. That will be a big deal if you choose to mid range with Gauss.

#14 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:49 PM

what did your first mech end up being?

#15 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:44 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 17 February 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

what did your first mech end up being?

Good question indeed.

#16 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:00 AM

I'd recommend a heavy. Try the -6r Warhammer or the Black Widow. The ON1-P has ~20% Gauss cooldown quirks, which is fun to spam, but Orions are very difficult to pilot. They have very large bodies and their arms cannot be used to shield you, so most damage goes straight to your torsos.

If you want to try an assault, I'd recommend the Mauler (-2p I think?) with 2 ballistic and 6 energy, and go dual gauss or dual heavy gauss.

#17 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:15 PM

View PostWater Bear, on 18 February 2018 - 06:00 AM, said:

I'd recommend a heavy. Try the -6r Warhammer or the Black Widow. The ON1-P has ~20% Gauss cooldown quirks, which is fun to spam, but Orions are very difficult to pilot. They have very large bodies and their arms cannot be used to shield you, so most damage goes straight to your torsos.

If you want to try an assault, I'd recommend the Mauler (-2p I think?) with 2 ballistic and 6 energy, and go dual gauss or dual heavy gauss.

Stalkers are also great Assaults to have.

#18 undeadasharak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:59 PM

one duel guass mech that i have had good success with is the marauder IIC A with a standard engine duel guass in the right side torso and a er large laser and er medium laser in each arm high mounts for the guass only downside is that it runs hot (you only have the ten engine heatsinks with the build i use) and the fact that when that right sidetorso loses its armor those guass rifles almost imidiatly blow up and you lose 2 3rds of your firepower so you need to protect that right side torso by useing the left one as a sheild

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users